Appropriate lens choice for Crop sensor Camera

Janice

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
Listened to a live event today. The gal has an a6400 the professional mentioned she might want the equivalent of the 18-55 for a crop sensor (pro shoots with Canon). What lens would be equivalent on the crop sensor then? Would the 17-50mm 2.8 be the right one or the 70-58mm 2.8? This is all so confusing to me. I shoot with an a6600 and am looking to upgrade my kit lens (3.5-5.6/16-50) to a 2.8 equivalent lens. Any advice is welcomed.

No need for confusion! your APSC sensor has a crop factor of 1.5.
This means that if you have a 16mm lens on, the equivalent on a full frame would be 16*1.5 = 24mm

So working backwards, if they tell you what Full frame equivalent they suggest, just divide by 1.5.

The challenge is the lack of lenses on the wider end for our cameras: the Sony 10-18mm is a full frame equivalent of 15-27mm and kinda pricey! Same story with the Sony 16-55G (full frame equivalent of 24-82.5mm). This is why I'm so looking forward to the Tamron 17-70mm for our APSC cameras which will be the full frame equivalent of roughly 25-105mm and f2.8 constant aperture for only $800.

Fowlersfreetime, that does seem like a nice lens. I really want it but between my Sigma 16, Sony 18-135 and 70-350 I think I’ll pass. I also am getting the urge to upgrade to full frame......

Last edited:
No need for confusion! your APSC sensor has a crop factor of 1.5.
This means that if you have a 16mm lens on, the equivalent on a full frame would be 16*1.5 = 24mm

So working backwards, if they tell you what Full frame equivalent they suggest, just divide by 1.5.

The challenge is the lack of lenses on the wider end for our cameras: the Sony 10-18mm is a full frame equivalent of 15-27mm and kinda pricey! Same story with the Sony 16-55G (full frame equivalent of 24-82.5mm). This is why I'm so looking forward to the Tamron 17-70mm for our APSC cameras which will be the full frame equivalent of roughly 25-105mm and f2.8 constant aperture for only $800.
Thank you! I *just* watched a video by Arthur R. on YouTube this morning where he compared the Tamron 17-70 to the Sony 16-55. His review not only discussed the components of the Tamron but show actual side by side photos take with the two lenses at the same settings. He discussed aberrations, bokeh, vignetting, and stabilization (just to name a few). While there were some differences those differences were quite slight. Comments below the video from people who have the Tamron were extremely positive. One person asked about a 'grating' noise in the lens but no one had responded to him yet. At $400 US, less than the Sony, I can see why people are excited about this lens.

Fowlersfreetime, that does seem like a nice lens. I really want it but between my Sigma 16, Sony 18-105, and 70-350 I think I’ll pass. I also am getting the urge to upgrade to full frame......
I don't have full frame money right now; my wife keeps my budget on a tight leash 😅 So I'll be selling my Sony 18-135 in order to put some cash towards the Tamron 17-70mm this summer. Maybe by Christmas I can squirrel away enough for the 70-350. Then I would be covered from 10-350mm with my lens collection.

Thank you! I *just* watched a video by Arthur R. on YouTube this morning where he compared the Tamron 17-70 to the Sony 16-55. His review not only discussed the components of the Tamron but show actual side by side photos take with the two lenses at the same settings. He discussed aberrations, bokeh, vignetting, and stabilization (just to name a few). While there were some differences those differences were quite slight. Comments below the video from people who have the Tamron were extremely positive. One person asked about a 'grating' noise in the lens but no one had responded to him yet. At $400 US, less than the Sony, I can see why people are excited about this lens.
I subscribe to him too, he's not a pro, but he's a good resource for us APSC users!

I love Arthur R’s videos! He was a big help in the beginning when I got my a6100.

I don't have full frame money right now; my wife keeps my budget on a tight leash 😅 So I'll be selling my Sony 18-135 in order to put some cash towards the Tamron 17-70mm this summer. Maybe by Christmas I can squirrel away enough for the 70-350. Then I would be covered from 10-350mm with my lens collection.
I really don’t either....I keep bouncing around between the a6600 and a7riii. I love macro and the added megapixels of the a7riii would be nice.

Back