Atomos ninja v or v+ noise

Madness

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
M Madness
Hello lovely people!
Nobody of my local shops (here in Sweden) have Atomos ninja on stock so I am not able to test out, but if one of you uses one, can you please tell me how loud it is? I couldn’t find helpful information on the YouTube so I am asking here too. Apparently the fan noise is quite noticeable. So the question is as well if it does get picked up by the mic on hotshoe?
thank you!

I have the Atomos Ninja V and when the fan gets going it is pretty noisy and will most likely be picked up by your mic if close together. I normally use it for capturing in-camera footage of what I'm shooting, I rarely record audio at the same time so don't worry about it too much. I'm definitely not an audio expert so I'm not sure how easy this is to edit out.

Thank you Timothy!
I sometimes use b1m mic to record ambient sound and ninja will be mounted close by on the cage. Should be easy to remove in post production. But still it's another thing to do that takes time.

I have the Atomos Ninja V and when the fan gets going it is pretty noisy and will most likely be picked up by your mic if close together. I normally use it for capturing in-camera footage of what I'm shooting, I rarely record audio at the same time so don't worry about it too much. I'm definitely not an audio expert so I'm not sure how easy this is to edit out.

Notch filter. Many audio editors already have a setting. If not you can just drop the sliders in the narrow band where the sound is. There are no doubt plug-ins depending on your editor. Once in use it is a no-brainer that is just in the background and appears in the finished track(s). I just found a free "orphan" SourceForge 4.0 which I will install on my W10 side. SourceForge by Magix is good. I use a more recent version for audio editing on my other box.

"Upon further research . . . " don't you just love that line? OK, I'd say use Audacity. It is free and works on W10, Mac, Linux and something else. It has a built-in notch filter you can tune and Audacity is free, has good support and lots of users.

Notch filters: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/notch_filter.html

If you need help I will walk you through it. But if I do you will owe me a Lemon Squash the next time I am in the UK. Not anytime soon. ;o)

Notch filter. Many audio editors already have a setting. If not you can just drop the sliders in the narrow band where the sound is. There are no doubt plug-ins depending on your editor. Once in use it is a no-brainer that is just in the background and appears in the finished track(s). I just found a free "orphan" SourceForge 4.0 which I will install on my W10 side. SourceForge by Magix is good. I use a more recent version for audio editing on my other box.
Many thanks for the tips Sandy! I now know what to do if I do want to record audio and use the Ninja at the same time. You don't want a lemon squash, it will rot your teeth! :)

Editing the sound out is not a big thing to do, it’s just that I would prefer too not even have it recorded. Hehe :p But if it is there then I’ll just removed in post. Just that sometimes you really want to have that sound recorded as perfect as possible. Hassle free I would say.

But indeed a good information for a forum like this one.

Many thanks for the tips Sandy! I now know what to do if I do want to record audio and use the Ninja at the same time. You don't want a lemon squash, it will rot your teeth! :)

Not as a steady diet, no. I do remember them from years ago at the British post in Fontainebleau. They were pretty good. You sound like a daddy talking to his kids. LOL

The notch filter is a walk in the park. It will maybe take a few tries to get it setup but after that it is already done just as Bob's your uncle.

Back