Batteries: Sony brand or substitute?

Jonathan Hanson

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Hello Alpha shooters,

Has anyone had experience with the NP-FZ100 battery from outside suppliers? I have no problem spending the money if there is a real performance or lifespan difference, but $78 each versus, for example, $49 for two batteries plus a dual charger makes one think Hmm . . .

Thanks for any experience . . .

Jonathan

I have some PowerExtra batteries as back ups, which came with a superb USB dual charger, and work perfectly on my RIV. Performance seems the same, my Sony's vary a lot anyway, especially in cold weather.

Thanks Kev, I'll look for those.

One could do a controlled study on comparative battery life, but you'd have to run through several thousand shutter activations to get meaningful data. I'd definitely keep the off-brand batteries as backups.

I suppose it depends on how many batteries you need. I've only one body currently so the 2 Sonys I have is enough.

I've used 3rd party batteries on various brand cameras as backups. They've been fine though they don't power as many shots as the factory units.
That's not a measurement - it's an impression and so could be the result of confirmation bias.

Confirmation bias is a powerful thing! I do know that two alternative-brand batteries I bought for my Mavic Pro failed completely before the original batteries—bought at least a year prior— did.

Yep.
With an increasing number of bodies being USB rechargeable, I find less need for backups. I'm often driving a bit in the course of a bird shoot and so top the battery up as I do.
The only time I've got close to running out of battery power was on a day pelagic cruise that involved mainly bursts totalling about 3000 images, and there was about 10% left on each of two factory batteries.
Big lenses gobble up more power as you'd expect.

Hello Alpha shooters,

Has anyone had experience with the NP-FZ100 battery from outside suppliers? I have no problem spending the money if there is a real performance or lifespan difference, but $78 each versus, for example, $49 for two batteries plus a dual charger makes one think Hmm . . .

Thanks for any experience . . .

Jonathan
The replacement batteries for the 2280 mAh NP-FZ100 all appear to be 2000 mAh. That roughly 12% less capacity. I doubt the batteries themselves are inferior, just less capacity. I have one of each.

I did wind up buying another Sony battery. If I decide I need more backup I'll definitely try a substitute.

As it happens I bought a Neewer grip with two of their batteries and they are both 2280mAh just like the original Sony.

Back