Best advice/tip you were ever given ? (not counting the obvious ones "remove the lens cap", "RTFM", "use a tripod")

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
Mine are:
1) use primes, avoid zooms
2) shoot RAW and learn how to edit them
3) use 5% flow on your (dodge & burn) masking.

Shoot in manual mode.
This was both the best and worst advice I ever received. As a newbie, I ruined the pictures from my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Japan by shooting 100% in manual with only a basic understanding of photography. However, in subsequent years, I shoot in manual and aperture priority modes comfortably.

Shoot RAW & learn how to edit.
Best advice ever. I'm not at the point yet where I can get things 100% correct in camera (for example: exposure in mixed lighting) so being able to pull details out of shadow, correct white balance and exposure, these have saved me!

Widest lens isn't always the best choice for Landscape Photography.
This one came to me later on, and really made me question what I wanted to focus on (pun intended) when photographing nature.

I have a bunch of primes; no thanks. The 24 - 240 zoom is my friend. Raw? Too much trouble. The JPG is pretty well processed as it comes out of the camera. Sony's software works well with it's lenses. Minimal editing does not degrade the JPG noticeably. Best advice? Wear your camera. You cannot take a picture if you do not have the camera with you. And my advice to myself? Have fun, do not expect to be a great photographer and just take photos of what I find interesting. BTW, these Sonys really help to make photos good. The current color and definition are just great. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Mine was “Focus on focus”.
Post processing can correct so much these days but cannot ever make up for missing your target.

Mine was “Focus on focus”.
Post processing can correct so much these days but cannot ever make up for missing your target.

Too bloody true. I've been sloppy in close-ups where I am closer than the lens will allow. And in macro I have to go for smaller f-stops with a tripod.

This one is from the pre internet days and is even more relevant today. I was capturing the action at a motocross event (access all areas) and was frequently approached by riders enquiring where they could purchase images. Over the course of the day I met and chatted to other photogs some of whom I was familiar with and enquired from one of the seasoned vets why he had so few images for sale when many of the competitors were desperate for images of themselves. His sage advice to me was, "ONLY SHOW THEM YOUR GOOD ONES BOY". A mantra I have always stuck by since and one I wish the internet snappers would adopt.

This one is from the pre internet days and is even more relevant today. I was capturing the action at a motocross event (access all areas) and was frequently approached by riders enquiring where they could purchase images. Over the course of the day I met and chatted to other photogs some of whom I was familiar with and enquired from one of the seasoned vets why he had so few images for sale when many of the competitors were desperate for images of themselves. His sage advice to me was, "ONLY SHOW THEM YOUR GOOD ONES BOY". A mantra I have always stuck by since and one I wish the internet snappers would adopt.

That may be what "the internet snappers" are doing. What pleases some may not please all. You know the adage about horse races.

Back