Best Sony a6400 lens for wakeboarding?

Jasperwake

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Jasper
Hi, My name is Jasper and I am a wakeboard enthousiast from the Netherlands. I am looking for a lens upgrade, however I am not sure what to look for in a lens. I would use the lens primarily for wakeboard videography. Do you guys have any good suggestions I could look into?

Thanks in advance!

Jasper

Hi, My name is Jasper and I am a wakeboard enthousiast from the Netherlands. I am looking for a lens upgrade, however I am not sure what to look for in a lens. I would use the lens primarily for wakeboard videography. Do you guys have any good suggestions I could look into?

Thanks in advance!

Jasper
Welcome Jasper!
How far away from your subjects will you be?
Are you going to be in the boat pulling them or on land filming them from a distance?

What camera do you have?

I do cable wakeboarding. So I switch between filming from the land and in a boat following me. I prefer filming from a boat, but that's not always possible. I think the closest I'll be filming from Is around 3 meters (9 feet) and the furthest would be around 30 meters (98 feet)

Hi Jasper!! I am a Sony a6400 shooter. And I have a surfboat that I take the kids out with. Wakeboarding is of course much faster....... but stabilization is going to be absolutely key!!! I can confidently say, that a gimbal will be something you will need if you are shooting from a boat. Any video that I have shot on the a6400 in the boat, is shaky. My iphone has better results for stabilization. As far as focal length goes, your requirements kinda sound like you need a couple of lenses. Did you get a kit lens with your camera? If so, which one? Are you looking at getting close-up video? Or wider shots encompassing the landscape?

Hi Jasper!! I am a Sony a6400 shooter. And I have a surfboat that I take the kids out with. Wakeboarding is of course much faster....... but stabilization is going to be absolutely key!!! I can confidently say, that a gimbal will be something you will need if you are shooting from a boat. Any video that I have shot on the a6400 in the boat, is shaky. My iphone has better results for stabilization. As far as focal length goes, your requirements kinda sound like you need a couple of lenses. Did you get a kit lens with your camera? If so, which one? Are you looking at getting close-up video? Or wider shots encompassing the landscape?
Awesome! I tried some filming last year and a gimbal is definitely a must! I was thinking of buying the Zhuyn weebill s since I travel a lot. If you have any recommendations on a gimbal as well, please! I only have the kit lens right now. I would like to make close-up videos!

Sounds like a good combo for you would be the Weebil S gimbal and the 18-105 f4 lens. This lens has OSS, motorized zoom, and the lens does not extend when zooming in, so the gimbal shouldn't need to be rebalanced as long as it is strong enough. Just check that the gimbal can handle the weight of that lens.

Sounds like a good combo for you would be the Weebil S gimbal and the 18-105 f4 lens. This lens has OSS, motorized zoom, and the lens does not extend when zooming in, so the gimbal shouldn't need to be rebalanced as long as it is strong enough. Just check that the gimbal can handle the weight of that lens.
I use the 18-105 f4 on my A6300. Really happy with it, used it also for fast sports photography. It is also light and small which makes it perfect to take anywhere. Never used it to shoot video though, in fact I never shot any video yet 😅

This is exactly the combo I had in mind! Awesome to hear you guys are thinking the same! Thanks guys!!

Back