Best Sony Combo for Bird Photography

Telscossie

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Dean Terry
Hi I have decided to move from Nikon to Sony , I currently Photography wildlife and mainly perched bird's and BIF ,I have a budget of around 5k to spend on a camera and lens which I was thinking A9ii + 200-600mm , Can anyone give me some user advice on this combo as if its the best I can get for my money or is there a better option , many thanks

Hi I have decided to move from Nikon to Sony , I currently Photography wildlife and mainly perched bird's and BIF ,I have a budget of around 5k to spend on a camera and lens which I was thinking A9ii + 200-600mm , Can anyone give me some user advice on this combo as if its the best I can get for my money or is there a better option , many thanks
Hi Dean I have the A9i + 200-600mm don't think you will go far wrong with the setup you are thinking about the 200-600mm is great value for money and if budget allows consider the x1.4 teleconverter for that bit of extra reach and there is very little degradation in quality. Have a look at some of the photos on here and that will give you a better idea.

Hi Dean I have the A9i + 200-600mm don't think you will go far wrong with the setup you are thinking about the 200-600mm is great value for money and if budget allows consider the x1.4 teleconverter for that bit of extra reach and there is very little degradation in quality. Have a look at some of the photos on here and that will give you a better idea.
Many thanks for your reply

Yes, I think for your budget that combo will be ideal. Alternately the A9 is cheaper and similar performance to the mark 2. With the saving you could put it towards a a 1.4 teleconverter - always useful for small birds and that extra reach. If BIFs were a small percentage of your subjects I'd always recommend the A7r4 over the A9 for the extra croppability.

Last edited:
I fully agree with Malcom.
The 200-600 with an A9 -doesn't matter I or II- is a great combo. But be aware of the combo A7R4+200-600 its much more critical in terms of AFC performance.
My 200-600 is tack sharp and I like a lot the fact that you go from 200 to 600mm with just a little turn on the zoom ring.
View media item 3788

Last edited:
Back