Name
Phil Sheath
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Isle of Wight
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Am I being silly, I am interested in a Sony a7r 4a advertised on MPB, they say the camera is graded cosmetically as like new, I've asked for a shutter count but they say they don't do them for mirrorless cameras as the software is unreliable and anyway mirrorless don't suffer the same as DSLRs because they don't have a mechanical shutter!!!! The camera is £1900, I feel justified asking and wanting an answer. Thoughts?

Which software are they insinuating is unreliable? The software inside your camera which clicks over the shutter count..?

No mechanical shutter on an A7RIV either? They must have removed it... 🫡

Sounds legit... 🤫

Am I being silly, I am interested in a Sony a7r 4a advertised on MPB, they say the camera is graded cosmetically as like new, I've asked for a shutter count but they say they don't do them for mirrorless cameras as the software is unreliable and anyway mirrorless don't suffer the same as DSLRs because they don't have a mechanical shutter!!!! The camera is £1900, I feel justified asking and wanting an answer. Thoughts?
It's not uncommon for them to not list the shutter count or even know how to access it. Some camera manufacturers do in fact require certain software to determine shutter count, while Sony is much simpler. The person you were communicating with was most likely someone they hired to work from home, has almost zero camera knowledge (because all they have to do is read from their answer sheet) and wouldn't know the difference if it bit them in the ass.

MPB's CS has unfortunately gone downhill as of late. I recently ordered a lens that was listed in like new condition, and it wasn't. The good news is that they will honor their return policy and warranty 100% without question. If it were me and I really wanted the camera, I'd place the order and if it doesn't meet your expectations tell them to send an RA and a call tag.

My A9ii has a shutter count of 20 but I took at least 30,000 pictures with the electronic shutter. I would not even ask for the count anymore since it does not say anything about the usage.
I purchase my cameras only from places, that give me at least 30 money back guarantee.

My A9ii has a shutter count of 20 but I took at least 30,000 pictures with the electronic shutter. I would not even ask for the count anymore since it does not say anything about the usage.
I purchase my cameras only from places, that give me at least 30 money back guarantee.
you are much less likely to use the mechanical shutter on the A9 than you would on the A7 series,

i would rather buy new from Panamoz( Sony a7r 4a £2,100 new) than buy 2nd hand,i bought my Sony A1 3 months ago from Panamoz and my Nikon D500 before that,

For what they charge, you could virtually buy a new one on grey import, as Andrew has suggested. E Infinity is my go to.

E infinity here, unless you want the three year warranty that Panamoz offer.

The price difference between them and say S/h Wex runs at about 5%. Not enough to sway me to buy secondhand.

I will only buy brand new camera gear. Don't like the idea of not knowing how such precise instrumentation has been handled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have any experience with MPB but I have been told they are not so accurate in regard to condition either way , buying from them or selling to them.

I do not have any experience with MPB but I have been told they are not so accurate in regard to condition either way , buying from them or selling to them.
They are charlatans when it comes to buying. Claim there damage when there is none. A mate got proper ripped off but he was desperate at the time. I'd never use them.

honestly the only time to consider s/h is if you are trading in and they give you a good deal ,other wise grey import makes more sense ,unless you are buying the big whites ,you do not get those grey import .bodies grey import for sure , i was unsure at first and had received faulty lens from e infinity but they dealt with it ok ,think the issue is sony gear is not sealed so you do not know what you get anyway ,for sure peace of mind go to parks or wex ,i purchased my recent a7r5 from panamoz everything is fine and my sony a1 ,but if i buy the 300mm f2,8 it will be from a main vendor ,although i doubt i have a choice

They are charlatans when it comes to buying. Claim there damage when there is none. A mate got proper ripped off but he was desperate at the time. I'd never use them.
mpb have been pretty good to me but honesty pays with them although they would not accept my 100-400mm panasonic leica lens zoom to stiff which was a known issue for the lens and got put right in later copys ,i just loosened it with spray dry lube spent a day racking the zoom in and out ,and sold it to park cameras

Back