Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Today here in Australia it is the 31-02-2023 and I had the morning window to go out birding as rain is or was predicted for the afternoon.
While out I was walking along and a bird decided to send me a message and it hit the top of the camera and splattered to where the lens go's into the camera and to the right side of the camera. With some luck I had dried tissue's in my camera bag and use one to wipe my camera as clean as I could.
But is there a proper way to clean the camera case as if there is could someone please put down, what to use to get the case clean and sterile once again.
Many thanks to you all and if this has been asked before I am sorry for not looking for it but I am so very sore with my back.

With something like bird poop, I'd be inclined to let it dry right off then brush it with a soft bristle toothbrush. A wipe over with a moistened lens cloth with 50% metho and water after should do the trick. Even straight metho should be ok.

With something like bird poop, I'd be inclined to let it dry right off then brush it with a soft bristle toothbrush. A wipe over with a moistened lens cloth with 50% metho and water after should do the trick. Even straight metho should be ok.
Thanks as I was thinking metho but thought it might melt the outer case. I will give it a try tomorrow and see how it comes up.

I'd be cleaning it properly as soon as possible Ralph. You seen what bird crap does to car paint..?
I got most of the crap off with the tissue while I was out. So now it is is more for sanitation of the body more than any other thing.
Plus I think it is over due as well.

buy a domke put in washing machine
I have never heard of these and I know I wouldn't place my camera into a washing machine, just way too much water.
bags are never sterile
Not real sure what this means but I gave it a good clean with metho today and it looks like I have done a good job and I am sure it is far more sterile now over what it was before I started.

I have never heard of these and I know I wouldn't place my camera into a washing machine, just way too much water.

Not real sure what this means but I gave it a good clean with metho today and it looks like I have done a good job and I am sure it is far more sterile now over what it was before I started.
Domke is a camera bag brand. They are rugged and mostly canvas washable loft the most part.

Domke is a camera bag brand. They are rugged and mostly canvas washable loft the most part.
Thanks for the information on this but it really sounds like something I would never trust or try not with a $1000 plus camera ever let alone a cheap camera. This just sounds a little to dangerous.

Thanks for the information on this but it really sounds like something I would never trust or try not with a $1000 plus camera ever let alone a cheap camera. This just sounds a little to dangerous.
You don't put your camera in the case and wash it. The point is you can clean the empty case by tossing it in the washing machine.

You don't put your camera in the case and wash it. The point is you can clean the empty case by tossing it in the washing machine.
The Metho way is by far a easier way by the sounds of it. As the camera stay intact and you just clean the outside and you're done.

The Metho way is by far a easier way by the sounds of it. As the camera stay intact and you just clean the outside and you're done.
The camera isn’t involved at all. The bag interior and exterior can get dirty. Domke is one of the few that can safely be washed.

The camera isn’t involved at all. The bag interior and exterior can get dirty. Domke is one of the few that can safely be washed.
I think our wires have been crossed as I was only talking about cleaning my camera as it got sh*t on by a bird while it was out of my bag and I was using it to take photo's. I don't need a camera bag I only just replaced my old bag. I hope this clears this up.

I think our wires have been crossed as I was only talking about cleaning my camera as it got sh*t on by a bird while it was out of my bag and I was using it to take photo's. I don't need a camera bag I only just replaced my old bag. I hope this clears this up.
Yes. Thanks for clarifying.

Not your own toothbrush, obviously. 😂

Use wet wipes. I carry some eye glasses cleaning wipes. That would get the bulk of the issue sorted.

Apparently it’s good luck. Buy a lottery ticket!!!

Not your own toothbrush, obviously. 😂

Use wet wipes. I carry some eye glasses cleaning wipes. That would get the bulk of the issue sorted.

Apparently it’s good luck. Buy a lottery ticket!!!
On this one this time I just used cotton buds and a small twig to get into the couple of tighter area's.
This all worked out well, so I decided to give the full camera a going over.
I was lucky to have dry tissues in my bag but as you have put down wet ones would of done the job there and then.
So lesson was learnt on this day and I now have got a good supply of wet ones in my bag for the next time which I hope doesn't happen.
And we do Tatts each week so I think the bird shitting on you is a furphy as we never got no phone call.'
But I have one clean camera which is good and over due.

The Zeiss wet wipes for lens cleaning might pull double duty in the future for me!

The Zeiss wet wipes for lens cleaning might pull double duty in the future for me!
I am unsure of the brand that I have in my bag but I think along the same line as in wiping my hand on a full day outing and to do any camera clean up. But I think this is a good point as you don't want something too wet which might or could work its way into the camera event though they are sort of weather sealed.

Back