Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I was wondering if anyone one in the Sony World has got any idea where I can get something close to this.
I need a double strap as my back is getting far worse and I know this will even out the weight as I carry the camera around for a long while.
This shot is showing a double strap that holds 2 cameras.
So this also brings me to this question. Do you think I could use this and latch just the one camera to it.
My thoughts are that I could adapt this to suit a single camera use and therefore this would be the thing to work for me.

But I know many of you out there are far more technical than I am and would have a better understanding of the mechanic's f this.
If I am give the nod on this I will let my wife know about what has been said.

But if you know of a double camera strap thing for a single camera could you please put the link into here so I can look at it then
in the very near future buy it. What will be attached to this will me my Sony A7iii along with the Sigma 100/400mm lens, and one day a
200/600mm of any type of lens will go on the camera. .
Thanks for your help on this one.
Camera Strap.jpg

You might like to visit the below I net link where you will see a full and comprehensive range of camera/photography straps and fixings by a range of manufacturers...maybe you will find something here to suit your requirements....

I think for what you want to do, something like this would be a better option. They are particularly good for people with back issues.

@Aussie,

That harness is designed to use the tripod socket on the bottom of each camera. I am certain it could be modified to carry a single camera, but you may need some extra straps or hardware to connect it.

Looking at your signature I am going to guess your weight problem is the Sigma 100-400. Is that the case? If so, I wouldn't carry that camera/lens combination around by the camera body alone, and certainly not by the strap eyelets. That could put a lot of strain on the lens mount. Something that size really needs to be attached to the lens. Unfortunately Sigma doesn't supply a tripod collar for that lens, it's a $100 US option. I ended up buying an aftermarket one for mine, and it works just fine. Let me know if you're interested and I'll go dig it up and post a link.

I have no experience with a harness or double strap, but I understand the back issue. What are you using now? Maybe we can suggest something better than that but less than the harness.

You might like to visit the below I net link where you will see a full and comprehensive range of camera/photography straps and fixings by a range of manufacturers...maybe you will find something here to suit your requirements....

I have had a quick look and there and quite a lot of what is there is on Ebay but this is good as it is right on the track where I am aiming for. Ans I think I will need to do a few modifications to the one I pick either way I go. Thanks for your efforts as well.
I think for what you want to do, something like this would be a better option. They are particularly good for people with back issues.

This one I do like and I youtube the lot of what was posted and this is the closest to what I think I need but what I didn't like about this one is how slow and at times how hard it was to release. But maybe this could be down to it being so new and now worn in as much. So this one is at the head of the class so far. Thanks for you r time it took for you to go and look for this. Appreciated.
@Aussie,

That harness is designed to use the tripod socket on the bottom of each camera. I am certain it could be modified to carry a single camera, but you may need some extra straps or hardware to connect it.

Looking at your signature I am going to guess your weight problem is the Sigma 100-400. Is that the case? If so, I wouldn't carry that camera/lens combination around by the camera body alone, and certainly not by the strap eyelets. That could put a lot of strain on the lens mount. Something that size really needs to be attached to the lens. Unfortunately Sigma doesn't supply a tripod collar for that lens, it's a $100 US option. I ended up buying an aftermarket one for mine, and it works just fine. Let me know if you're interested and I'll go dig it up and post a link.

I have no experience with a harness or double strap, but I understand the back issue. What are you using now? Maybe we can suggest something better than that but less than the harness.
I am looking to getting the 600mm lens which will cover just what you have said as I have heard of the mounting plates slowly getting bend out of place a little. So you are totally right and I thank you for bring it to my attention on this. As it stands even now I walk about cradling the camera in my arm as I walk most of the time. I think this came from a friend who mentioned just what you have said . And as the lens I have got now it is going to be a keeper so I will look at the tripod mount and then it will be far safer. Thanks so much for what you have said and I want to thank everyone that have gone out of your way to help in this situation.

Take a look at:

This one is the one I like the most but my issue with it is that I think it is a slowest way to get your camera in your hands as it clicks into the chest plate for the lack of the right word for it.
The as Brownie said then there is the issue of the lens weight on the camera connection. And over time things will move. Yes it could take 1o years or 6 months, who knows. So the lens needs to be supported.
Making many of the other Double strap camera holders far better as one part can support the lens and one part or if adapted the camera could be fully supported and this is more than likely the way I will go.
But I really thank you for take the time out of your day to go looking for this for me. I really do appreciate this and it goes to show this is a home where people are willing to help. Thank you all.

This one is the one I like the most but my issue with it is that I think it is a slowest way to get your camera in your hands as it clicks into the chest plate for the lack of the right word for it.
The as Brownie said then there is the issue of the lens weight on the camera connection. And over time things will move. Yes it could take 1o years or 6 months, who knows. So the lens needs to be supported.
Making many of the other Double strap camera holders far better as one part can support the lens and one part or if adapted the camera could be fully supported and this is more than likely the way I will go.
But I really thank you for take the time out of your day to go looking for this for me. I really do appreciate this and it goes to show this is a home where people are willing to help. Thank you all.
Don't be too sure about those clips being slow, see below. Also, if need be you could mount the clip to the tripod mount on the lens instead of the camera. That may or may not be comfortable depending on how far the foot sticks out.

I had a 5 hour day at the track on Sunday. That's 5 hours without a break and almost no shade. I did take a water bottle! This was a shakedown cruise to see how my bag/strap/clip system worked together after a lot of research and discussion with others.

This stuff ain't cheap, I'm pretty sure I now own a 15% share of Peak Design! But I don't want to trust my gear to cheap systems, the cameras and lenses are too expensive to replace due to a strap or clip failure.

Starting off, a Peak Design Everyday 30L Backpack. It allows me to carry two cameras with lenses mounted, one with the 100-400 and the other with a 24-105. There's room for the Tamron 17-28 and Minolta 80-200/2.8 with the A to E adapter mounted. All accessories, including a small pair of binoculars if I want them, umbrella, poncho, and other stuff.

A Peak Design Slide Lite carries the 100-400 camera. I was a bit concerned about the narrow strap with the weight but it turned out to be no problem. The strap is connected to the lens' tripod foot and a Basic Peak Design bottom plate on the camera. I wear it so the lens faces backwards. This puts the grip in a natural position for my hand and keeps the lens from banging into things. I can slide the strap around and so the camera is at my back, out of the way but it can still be grabbed with one hand in an instant. The tripod foot is rotated to the portrait position (90 degrees to the left). I thought I'd hate that, but it's well out of the way and I never even noticed it.

For the 24-105 camera I used a Peak Design (are you seeing a pattern here?) Capture Clip with the Pro Pad Stabilizer on my belt. I wasn't so sure about this going in, but man is it nice! The camera is (relatively) easy to get on and off the clip (I'll get better at it) and the extra weight on my belt was negligible. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd want a bigger lens for this setup. I will add the Peak Design cuff to this as soon as I get one.

So, one camera on a sling hanging on my right, second one on the clip on my left side. It was easy and fast to let the one hang and grab the other when I wanted a wider FOV. So much easier (and a lot safer for the sensor) than changing lenses out in that dusty, smoky air. I carried the backpack up and down like a bag, which was pretty light with both cameras and lenses out of it. One great feature of that back pack is that you can remove the waist and sternum straps if you don't need them and the shoulder straps are magnetically held to the backpack to keep it nice and compact. It was well worth the research and planning.

Yeah...I probably looked a bit geeky, but it was fast and convenient. I could change cameras at light speed. By the time I walked to my new position I had already made the switch and was ready to shoot.

I have a bunch of straps but on my Sonys use the Peak Design Slide with the 200-600 and it works great.

For two camera use I use straps from RL Handcrafts. Never tried the Clydesdale with only one camera though. They make the Andino for one camera use and it has a cross strap to keep things in place. Nice stuff - a bit spendy but feels really good. So far the only downside is that the finish wears off the clip hardware pretty fast.

Don't be too sure about those clips being slow, see below. Also, if need be you could mount the clip to the tripod mount on the lens instead of the camera. That may or may not be comfortable depending on how far the foot sticks out.

I had a 5 hour day at the track on Sunday. That's 5 hours without a break and almost no shade. I did take a water bottle! This was a shakedown cruise to see how my bag/strap/clip system worked together after a lot of research and discussion with others.

This stuff ain't cheap, I'm pretty sure I now own a 15% share of Peak Design! But I don't want to trust my gear to cheap systems, the cameras and lenses are too expensive to replace due to a strap or clip failure.

Starting off, a Peak Design Everyday 30L Backpack. It allows me to carry two cameras with lenses mounted, one with the 100-400 and the other with a 24-105. There's room for the Tamron 17-28 and Minolta 80-200/2.8 with the A to E adapter mounted. All accessories, including a small pair of binoculars if I want them, umbrella, poncho, and other stuff.

A Peak Design Slide Lite carries the 100-400 camera. I was a bit concerned about the narrow strap with the weight but it turned out to be no problem. The strap is connected to the lens' tripod foot and a Basic Peak Design bottom plate on the camera. I wear it so the lens faces backwards. This puts the grip in a natural position for my hand and keeps the lens from banging into things. I can slide the strap around and so the camera is at my back, out of the way but it can still be grabbed with one hand in an instant. The tripod foot is rotated to the portrait position (90 degrees to the left). I thought I'd hate that, but it's well out of the way and I never even noticed it.

For the 24-105 camera I used a Peak Design (are you seeing a pattern here?) Capture Clip with the Pro Pad Stabilizer on my belt. I wasn't so sure about this going in, but man is it nice! The camera is (relatively) easy to get on and off the clip (I'll get better at it) and the extra weight on my belt was negligible. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd want a bigger lens for this setup. I will add the Peak Design cuff to this as soon as I get one.

So, one camera on a sling hanging on my right, second one on the clip on my left side. It was easy and fast to let the one hang and grab the other when I wanted a wider FOV. So much easier (and a lot safer for the sensor) than changing lenses out in that dusty, smoky air. I carried the backpack up and down like a bag, which was pretty light with both cameras and lenses out of it. One great feature of that back pack is that you can remove the waist and sternum straps if you don't need them and the shoulder straps are magnetically held to the backpack to keep it nice and compact. It was well worth the research and planning.

Yeah...I probably looked a bit geeky, but it was fast and convenient. I could change cameras at light speed. By the time I walked to my new position I had already made the switch and was ready to shoot.
I have no idea about these and all I have done is ask here and I have gone to youtube and put in the names of the straps and watch the clips and the chest mounted one which I honestly liked so much show that is was so slow to get your camera off and ready to use. So this is what and how I got my thoughts on that one one and all the others.
I have almost made up my mind to go with the ones that are like the Clydesdale Pro. I still might need to do a little modification to it but I do feel for me this will be the way to go.
I only have the one camera and the 100/400mm lens but I am doing my best to get the 600mm lens and this will 90% of the time be my set up. As I know I will still use the 400mm as it is such a good lens.
I loved your in-depth and very informative piece as it has got all the right answers to it.
But I know I would still like to have my actual strap connected as a back up to this.
Thanks for what you have said Brownie.

I have a bunch of straps but on my Sonys use the Peak Design Slide with the 200-600 and it works great.

For two camera use I use straps from RL Handcrafts. Never tried the Clydesdale with only one camera though. They make the Andino for one camera use and it has a cross strap to keep things in place. Nice stuff - a bit spendy but feels really good. So far the only downside is that the finish wears off the clip hardware pretty fast.

After looking at a lot of these sorts of things it looks like I might be going for a system that is this or is very close to it.
I think it will suit my needs more than others but I am never going to close my mind on it , well until I have actually bought one to use that is.
Thanks so much for your help.

After looking at a lot of these sorts of things it looks like I might be going for a system that is this or is very close to it.
I think it will suit my needs more than others but I am never going to close my mind on it , well until I have actually bought one to use that is.
Thanks so much for your help.
I seem to recall that there may ba a short belt clip to use when using the harness with only one camera. That might be helpful in your use case.

It’s possible it was by Holdfast - they make a similar harness.

I seem to recall that there may ba a short belt clip to use when using the harness with only one camera. That might be helpful in your use case.

It’s possible it was by Holdfast - they make a similar harness.

I will check these out later today as I have a busy day ahead of me.
Thank you for putting in your time to look for this for me. It really is appreciated.

Back