Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
We have a pretty good-sized committee of turkey vultures that roost about a block away. With the weather warming they've returned home. I've never seen them fly out in the morning, but we see them in the evening as they kettle. They soar for an hour or more on the thermals all around the house, blocks and blocks in all directions as many as 60 at a time. Sometimes they come very low right over the house. Tonight, we had about 30 or 40, but they didn't come very close or low, staying a few houses away. When they do come close, I expect they could fill the frame at 600mm. This was the first real chance I've had to try the A7 IV with bird tracking. It's pretty amazing.

DSC01288 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC01308 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC01312 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC01318 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC01379 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC01439 by telecast, on Flickr

As the sun gets low in the sky and the golden hour arrives, they begin to settle in their favorite stand of pines a block to the north and east.

DSC01413 by telecast, on Flickr

They are superb at gliding on those thermals but they sure do make me laugh when they wobble on turns. It's like they are rank beginners, which they are not. Thanks for the pics.

Lovely birds. Great title, one of my favourite tunes :)

I like the title, very punny! Good shots too.
Fun fact: we call those birds "John Crow" back in Jamaica where they are surprisingly common.

Back