Followers
Following
Name
Keith Horkins
Country
Canada
City/State
Ontario
I’ve been doing some macro photography which I’ve always enjoyed. I haven’t done a lot with my Sony cameras. Anyway I’ve made myself a defuser specifically for macro and to fit my godox flash and Sony 90mm macro..
Here is a couple of shots a common house fly using that set up..
E4AF270F-00AE-4F70-A8BA-FF7981008F12.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 320
3A100CBB-B064-4CA4-A416-0A4EC2DAF72B.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 320

Nice photos Keith....... a few questions

Was the fly dead....?

All you used was the 105mm Macro........no laboratory objective lenses........?

Did you do image stacking.......?

My recently posted fly images didn't have the same level of magnification but in the past with my cognysis automated rail
I have got up to 3-4x magnification with reversed wide angle lenses(24mm) and spacer rings and image stacking via photoshop......

I note your lighting comments, i was using independently mounted LED lights and more focused lights to illuminate the very
tight gap between subject and lens.......

Anyways nice images.........

Very nice - a housefly never looked so good!

Was the fly dead....?

My recently posted fly images didn't have the same level of magnification but in the past with my cognysis automated rail
I have got up to 3-4x magnification with reversed wide angle lenses(24mm) and spacer rings and image stacking via photoshop......

I note your lighting comments, i was using independently mounted LED lights and more focused lights to illuminate the very

I actually fished the fly out of my dogs water bowl which actually helped.
I only used 90mm macro and camera was attached to a macro rail on a tripod.
See attached image for my light set up.

Was the fly dead....?

I actually fished the fly out of my dogs water bowl so it was dead but being wet it helped with the image I think .
I only used my Sony 90mm macro lens.
Camera was on a tripod.
See pics attached for lighting setup..
8B230715-967D-4FC8-A3CD-613505A06425.jpeg
  • iPhone 13
  • iPhone 13 back dual wide camera 5.1mm f/1.6
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 500
E3FC41AB-DAFB-4221-AF35-8888D570775B.jpeg
  • iPhone 13
  • iPhone 13 back dual wide camera 5.1mm f/1.6
  • 5.1 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 640

Yes when i first started doing Macro I made a "flash funnel" from a pringles crisp carton with packaging tape to fit
the funnel to my flash unit but after that I set up a small illuminated product photography cubicle to do my
macro work in.....

Whatever works is fine........

Yes when i first started doing Macro I made a "flash funnel" from a pringles crisp carton with packaging tape to fit
the funnel to my flash unit but after that I set up a small illuminated product photography cubicle to do my
macro work in.....

Whatever works is fine........
I wanted something that is portable and can be hand held so I can get outside with it…
I have seen something on YouTube called Radiant Diffuser, a guy in India makes them , they look pretty good..

I use this diffuser for field work with good effect but only because my 200mm Nikon Macro lens has an effective
20" minimum focus distance creating a wider subject to lens "gap" to direct flash when needed.

With a 105mm Macro lens you will have limited subject to lens distance and need a more focused flash

Anyways i have found the attached diffuser good for field work, as well as it folds away and takes up very
little space.View attachment 22192

I did look at those but I wanted a cone shaped one which would not only give me the perfect light but because I can get in really close it also acts as a wind breaker too..

Nice shots.

I did look at those but I wanted a cone shaped one which would not only give me the perfect light but because I can get in really close it also acts as a wind breaker too..
Hi Keith,
if you go to "pringles flash diffuser" on the internet or in youtube you will see a number of videos showing how to make a very effective and focused diffuser that can be shaped at the appropriate length and approprately shaped opening to direct the light to the small gap between your
lens and subject whilst in the field ...its very simple and cheap but does a very good job and with a silvered lining inside the tube transmitsyour flash light very well.

I know this exchange is going on but just wanted to let you be aware of this, it is used by many Macro enthusiasts.

I promise i aill npt senmd any more responses....goood luck.

I'm jealous as I have just started doing macro and a little confused do you have to use a diffuser and flash ... Gary

I'm jealous as I have just started doing macro and a little confused do you have to use a diffuser and flash ... Gary
Unfortunately, Keith has abandoned us for M-4/3. I do wish he'd return; he was a regular contributor and welcome participant.

Hey, @mapleleaf56...WHEREINTHEHELLAREYOU?

Hi Gary you will find as you go down your macro journey(not close up shots with non mmaccro lenses) and dependant onthe lens you use and its minimum focal length you will very quickly reach a point in taking images of butterflys and insects particularly the gap between the subject and leading edge of your lens will get very close(mm or few centimetres) and the light will not be enough to illunmiate the image.

This is the point when a diffuser and light source/flash become essential......the diffuser keith uses is available on the internet is of good functionality , not too cumbersome and not expensive.

Hope this helps...

Yes it did someone gave me a diffuser that fits over the lens and I bought a flash so fingers crossed ..... Gary

Back