snegron

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Sandy
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Is there such a thing as a compact, full frame lens that shows zero vignetting at wide open apertures? If so, which ones are they?

I have been trying to find fast, compact lenses to use with my A7c, but the biggest problem I have come across has been heavy amounts of vignetting at fast apertures.

I recently purchased a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 G2, but it was the exact opposite of compact. The heavy vignetting is very visible at all focal lengths at f2.8, f4.0, getting slightly better at f5.6.

My current primes (Sony 40mm f2.5 G, Sony 85mm f1.8 G, Tamron 24mm f2.8) show some vignetting, but with not as bad as the Tamron 28-75mm or my Sony 28-60 kit lens.

While in-camera "lens comp" settings and Photoshop lens corrections can improve the vignetting issue, I would really love to find lenses that are either free from vignetting, or very minor (almost unnoticeable) vignetting.

Do such lenses exist?

Zero Vigneting will occur in our next life, when we reach the light after the tunnel.
Lens size, speed and vignetting is a compromise.
My Voigtlander 50/2, being a compact lens, not very fast (f:2), already has -2,69EV wide open, which is almost 3 stops, and it is one of the best lenses in this regard...

Probably not unless you want to adapt lenses designed for medium format cameras.

Rather than the criteria just being "very little vignetting", what sort of focal length and aperture are you looking for in particular? There is no point somebody recommending a great fast 20mm if you're looking for an 85mm. And it's no surprise that you've found primes to be better than zooms, there is always a compromise.

For most of what I shoot, vignetting isn't a significant concern (and I very rarely bother correcting it). I suppose if including blue skies and you REALLY don't want it to show darkening at the corners, however in those cases correction is highly effective.

Probably not unless you want to adapt lenses designed for medium format cameras.

Rather than the criteria just being "very little vignetting", what sort of focal length and aperture are you looking for in particular? There is no point somebody recommending a great fast 20mm if you're looking for an 85mm. And it's no surprise that you've found primes to be better than zooms, there is always a compromise.

For most of what I shoot, vignetting isn't a significant concern (and I very rarely bother correcting it). I suppose if including blue skies and you REALLY don't want it to show darkening at the corners, however in those cases correction is highly effective.
I typically shoot wide angle images (travel, etc). My Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 G2 shows heavy amounts of vignetting on my A7c at all focal lengths wide open at f2.8. In-camera lens corrections and post processing help, but it would be nice to find lenses that don't require these extra steps.

One of the first sacrifices made to keep a lens compact is vignetting.

I'll be quite interested to hear if anyone can recommend a compact lens with minimal vignetting.

If you want compact, there will always be some vignetting. But even if it's a maligned feature, I think it can add some character to the picture and help to focus attention in the frame. Sometimes I find myself adding some minor vignetting in post.

Also, when you read lens reviews, in the analysis vignetting always looks disastrous but in real life use it tends to go almost unnoticeable.

And you can always shot in crop mode or correct in post if you really need to get rid of it...

If you want compact, there will always be some vignetting. But even if it's a maligned feature, I think it can add some character to the picture and help to focus attention in the frame. Sometimes I find myself adding some minor vignetting in post.

Also, when you read lens reviews, in the analysis vignetting always looks disastrous but in real life use it tends to go almost unnoticeable.

And you can always shot in crop mode or correct in post if you really need to get rid of it...
The perfect lens with no “defects”. This modern idea where everything is so sharp, so perfect… it’s a result of the hardware and software technology . It’s going to be a fad. A statement about the avante guarde. It’s time will pass. Vignette added back in post. Of course! That’s new! :)

The perfect lens with no “defects”. This modern idea where everything is so sharp, so perfect… it’s a result of the hardware and software technology . It’s going to be a fad. A statement about the avante guarde. It’s time will pass. Vignette added back in post. Of course! That’s new! :)

I think this is why many people are starting to realise that smartphones cameras can't match a dsrl or full frame. Current smartphones give you a picture so perfect, and balanced, and clean, and enhanced, that it looks rather boring at the end of the day. And the same goes for many lenses. But that's not to say that there are no bad lenses either, don't get me wrong haha.

Last edited:
Back