Name
Brian Nicholson
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Penicuik, Midlothian
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I got a bit of a surprise at the weekend when the lens got condensation in the front of the lens...i was out photographing trees in a mist rain on Saturday , on Sunday when I was at a waterfall with a torrent of water but not close it happened and I could not use it...when back home after a few hours it cleared.

Has anyone else had this issue , would it have been the rain on the Saturday, i am not used to an extending barrel at this focal range.

Thanks

That lens is supposed to be very well weather sealed. Contact Tamron. I wouldn’t wait.

That lens is supposed to be very well weather sealed. Contact Tamron. I wouldn’t wait.
Cheers, I have done so just curious if anyone else has had the same issue... cheers

Cheers, I have done so just curious if anyone else has had the same issue... cheers
It's a zoom lens and when changing focal lengths the lens must take in and get rid of air. If it were airtight, one wouldn't be able to zoom it. You have managed to take in some moist air and when the temperature has fallen, the moisture has condensed onto the cold glass surface of the lens. It is perfectly natural. Taking the lens back into a warm, dry environment and zooming it through its range a few times ought to put it right.

It's a zoom lens and when changing focal lengths the lens must take in and get rid of air. If it were airtight, one wouldn't be able to zoom it. You have managed to take in some moist air and when the temperature has fallen, the moisture has condensed onto the cold glass surface of the lens. It is perfectly natural. Taking the lens back into a warm, dry environment and zooming it through its range a few times ought to put it right.
Thanks, I have done that and so far it appears all ok...just a bit concerned as it's brand new, I have 14 days to see how it is.

If i've got this right, sounds like your lens may be "breathing", which is not uncommon, and very fine mist on saturday
got in to the inside of your lens.....

On the sunday, with maybe a change in temperature from your waterfall site and home the condensation appeared
and then disappeared at home in a warmer temperature.......sounds a bit odd and i dont see any lens reviews which
woud indicate this lens has asignificant breathing issue.

Maybe as suggested above you need to get the lens checked out for weather sealing issues.

If i've got this right, sounds like your lens may be "breathing", which is not uncommon, and very fine mist on saturday
got in to the inside of your lens.....

On the sunday, with maybe a change in temperature from your waterfall site and home the condensation appeared
and then disappeared at home in a warmer temperature.......sounds a bit odd and i dont see any lens reviews which
woud indicate this lens has asignificant breathing issue.

Maybe as suggested above you need to get the lens checked out for weather sealing issues.
Thanks for your message....I think I may return it under the warranty and get another one .

The lens has a lot of good reviews, which you are no doubt aware, but yes, why take a chance ...it may be you have a quality compromised lens
which again is not beyond belief....it happens.

I remember their 24-70mm f2.8 had dust issues with their earlier releases, possibly you have something not 100% right in this 50-400mm. It's worthwhile asking the question if it's still under warranty.

I know I'd be in a bit of worry if I came across what you have said here...

About 5 or 6 years ago I went on a cave tour. When we came out of the cool cave into the humid hot air, my lens, a Panasonic-Leica 8-18 fogged up badly. Let it set for a while and it was fine, no after effects or damage. That lens wasn’t under warranty so there wasn’t much I could do, fortunately everything turned out ok.

Please let us know how it goes with Tamron.

About 5 or 6 years ago I went on a cave tour. When we came out of the cool cave into the humid hot air, my lens, a Panasonic-Leica 8-18 fogged up badly. Let it set for a while and it was fine, no after effects or damage. That lens wasn’t under warranty so there wasn’t much I could do, fortunately everything turned out ok.

Please let us know how it goes with Tamron.
Hi Brownie, I haven't heard back yet but it seems ok....the seller has asked me to send back but now not sure ...it's got a warranty so may hang onto it.... perhaps the weather sealing isn't so good when raining and out at 400mm

Hi Brownie, I haven't heard back yet but it seems ok....the seller has asked me to send back but now not sure ...it's got a warranty so may hang onto it.... perhaps the weather sealing isn't so good when raining and out at 400mm
BTW, did you register the lens with Tamron? You have a 5-year manufacturer's warranty in the UK.

BTW, did you register the lens with Tamron? You have a 5-year manufacturer's warranty in the UK.
I got this from Tamron.

Hi Brian,

Condensation is something that forms on any lens when there are temperature differences going from a colder environment to a warmer environment, especially where the Dew point is high, which is often in warmer more humid environments. The most extreme cases of condensation will be found where kit is taken from a colder air conditioned environment such as a hotel room or car, and then exposed quickly to a hotter more humid environment.

There is a handy article that explains this in greater detail below, however if you search "Condensation in camera lenses" a number of articles will show:

The lens being weather sealed will not play a part in protecting against condensation in any lens as it is all to do with the air which is inside and around the lens and the temperature of the lens surfaces themselves. When there are changes in temperature from cold to warm, this is where condensation can occur as moisture is drawn from the atmosphere by the colder surfaces of the lens.

If you would like to send your lens for assessment to Tamron Service (Fixation UK) then please complete the Service form HERE and we will advise how and where to send your lens

I got this from Tamron.

Hi Brian,

Condensation is something that forms on any lens when there are temperature differences going from a colder environment to a warmer environment, especially where the Dew point is high, which is often in warmer more humid environments. The most extreme cases of condensation will be found where kit is taken from a colder air conditioned environment such as a hotel room or car, and then exposed quickly to a hotter more humid environment.

There is a handy article that explains this in greater detail below, however if you search "Condensation in camera lenses" a number of articles will show:

The lens being weather sealed will not play a part in protecting against condensation in any lens as it is all to do with the air which is inside and around the lens and the temperature of the lens surfaces themselves. When there are changes in temperature from cold to warm, this is where condensation can occur as moisture is drawn from the atmosphere by the colder surfaces of the lens.

If you would like to send your lens for assessment to Tamron Service (Fixation UK) then please complete the Service form HERE and we will advise how and where to send your lens
There's a very fine line of difference between your complaint and their response.

Your complaint is regarding condensation IN the lens.
Their explanation is regarding condensation ON the lens. They state:

this is where condensation can occur as moisture is drawn from the atmosphere by the colder surfaces of the lens.

No kidding, eh? Any 3rd grader knows that's how it works.

Two completely different things. I would respond and reiterate this is INSIDE the lens, and ask how the moist, humid air got into the lens to begin with.

There's a very fine line of difference between your complaint and their response.

Your complaint is regarding condensation IN the lens.
Their explanation is regarding condensation ON the lens. They state:

No kidding, eh? Any 3rd grader knows that's how it works.

Two completely different things. I would respond and reiterate this is INSIDE the lens, and ask how the moist, humid air got into the lens to begin with.
Thanks Brownie,

I thought that was what they were saying.. I have sent them a reply back, let's see what happens next.

I have also told the retailer I am happy to keep and monitor the performance as the warranty should cover this.

Thanks Brownie,

I thought that was what they were saying.. I have sent them a reply back, let's see what happens next.

I have also told the retailer I am happy to keep and monitor the performance as the warranty should cover this.
I really don't think you need to do any more than that, I just dislike ambiguity from a responsible party. Hold their feet to the fire!

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back