Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Which version do you prefer, the full frame version (first image) or one of the two cropped versions. I personally prefer the centre image.
greenwich_park_contemplation-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 160
greenwich_park_contemplation-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 160
greenwich_park_contemplation-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 160

Hi, Ed.
I prefer the first one.

Since you have the leaves on the sides in all three, the balance is best in the first version.

In the second and third versions, the leaves on the left side no longer frame the people. Instead, look like they should be cropped out. But if you did that, then you'd want to crop out the leaves on the other side too.

Which version do you prefer, the full frame version (first image) or one of the two cropped versions. I personally prefer the centre image.
View attachment 41161View attachment 41162View attachment 41163

Hi, Ed.
I prefer the first one.

Since you have the leaves on the sides in all three, the balance is best in the first version.

In the second and third versions, the leaves on the left side no longer frame the people. Instead, look like they should be cropped out. But if you did that, then you'd want to crop out the leaves on the other side too.
Thanks ST. I agree. I wanted to lose those leaves but I didn’t want to lose the building. I tried to remove them using the clone tool but it didn’t work too well.

For me, the architect hat says I don’t like cropping off the tops of the skyline. More of a habit than anything else, but the first one gives the skyline more respect.

I’d also try and remove that branch that obscured the building, that is, if I had more skill with Lightroom.

What happens if you pull up the shadow a pinch?

For me, the architect hat says I don’t like cropping off the tops of the skyline. More of a habit than anything else, but the first one gives the skyline more respect.

I’d also try and remove that branch that obscured the building, that is, if I had more skill with Lightroom.

What happens if you pull up the shadow a pinch?
Gary, I hear ya. But the second image doesn't decapitate the skyline, only the third! If I lift the shadows a bit the grass in the foreground becomes more prominant which for me detracts from the image. I'm going to try and remove the branch using Ps, I just made a mess of it in Lr.

Gary, I hear ya. But the second image doesn't decapitate the skyline, only the third! If I lift the shadows a bit the grass in the foreground becomes more prominant which for me detracts from the image. I'm going to try and remove the branch using Ps, I just made a mess of it in Lr.

I like the layered silhouettes. It’s a park on the Thames. All the info is there to read.

On first impression the centre image may seem better because the silhouettes stand out more. But first picture works better actually, as it's more balanced, more pleasing to look at and more rewarding when you detect the silhouettes. Beautiful composition!

I'm a total photography rookie, but i like the first one best. More pleasing to watch, and i really do enjoy the leaves on each side. I think this image is the perfect ratio of trees, city and siluette of the couple.

Really nice shot!

This is a difficult scene to get exactly right because there are six components that have to be dealt with: two trees, two people, the distant buildings and the ship. It needed careful positioning of the camera at the taking stage, and even then it might have been impossible to get it all perfect. It would also have been better to include more in the picture at the taking stage - you can crop things out but you cannot put things back in.

One problem is that the tree branches are unsupported, it would be better if they were visibly connected to the ground, but this cannot be rectified now. I might have kept them out of the picture as they are not essential, merely optional frames. I would also like to see more of the ship and not just the masts, but I don't know if it was possible.

For me the first image is the least good because the figures are too central.

Back