Sony A7 IV Custom mode settings confusion?

Joe14

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Joe
Evening all! Apologies if this is quite a silly question, but I’m getting a little confused. I have an A7iv and want to set up the C1-C3 dial points to automatically set the camera up for different types of photography; ie one for Macro & one for Birds.. My confusion, is does the coke under setting up Custom settings or is this Memory recall?

Also, once I set these up, can changing the dial, also change the changes I have made to customer buttons?

Thank you for you help & support :)

There are two menu items right next to each other, one is setting, and the other is recall. Without looking I believe they're called Camera Set Memory and Settings Recall. If those aren't it exactly, they're close enough to get you there. Sony's manual sucks when it comes to using the features, but it helps some. Use the on-line version.

As to your second question, if you make changes to the settings they will revert to your programmed setting after you turn the camera off and back on again. There are some caveats, for instance, I normally leave auto ISO to top out at 640. If I change it to 1000, the camera seems to remember that. The only thing I can figure out is that the Auto ISO part is what's programmed, but the exact limits can still be changed without re-registering the program. A bit odd, but I've gotten used to it.

There are two menu items right next to each other, one is setting, and the other is recall. Without looking I believe they're called Camera Set Memory and Settings Recall. If those aren't it exactly, they're close enough to get you there. Sony's manual sucks when it comes to using the features, but it helps some. Use the on-line version.

As to your second question, if you make changes to the settings they will revert to your programmed setting after you turn the camera off and back on again. There are some caveats, for instance, I normally leave auto ISO to top out at 640. If I change it to 1000, the camera seems to remember that. The only thing I can figure out is that the Auto ISO part is what's programmed, but the exact limits can still be changed without re-registering the program. A bit odd, but I've gotten used to it.
Thank you very much for this! Super helpful and very much appreciated :)

Back