Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I know this is of no interest to the Adobe zombies but for those of us who will not be assimilated, DT has just released 4.4.2

This version is especially exciting for me because:

A) it now supports Profiled Denoise for the A7 IV. As opposed to most NR programs which depend on luminance for the information, DT's Profiled Denoise uses actual samples from the camera for each ISO setting, so it's based on real sensor performance. I am hoping this will mean I no longer need to denoise in Affinity, save as a PNG, then finish in DT.

B) It finally supports Sony's Lossless Compressed RAW. Been waiting for this one.

DT is extremely aggressive in updating, turning out at least one and typically 2+ updates per year. As a free, open-source program they depend on users to submit camera profiles so they can be added to the modules.

I will take another look at it, or hunt you down like a zombie :D

I was using it a lot more last year - I thought it already had a denoise profile for the M4 - will d/l this version and check it out for sure (and I hope the crashing has fixed itself too)

I was using it a lot more last year - I thought it already had a denoise profile for the M4 - will d/l this version and check it out for sure (and I hope the crashing has fixed itself too)
I've not experienced crashing. I know they had a couple releases between this new one and my last, and I think one was a beta?

You may have had NR for the M4, I'm not sure when they added it. I think I had 4.2.something and the new one is 4.4.2, so there were some I had missed.

I have a file open now of a moth taken at 20,000 ISO (high shutter/low light) and will also take the same file and process it in another program and then have a looksee --- though, I worry I am not good enough at DT and may miss some easy masks or things during processing, thus not be able to get the best out of it.

Still, I am always very keen on getting away from paid software if possible - I can see that AI NR is very good, but I just don't want to, as irrational as that is, or not. I just accept that I have ISOs where I just go, "oh well, better do it better next time" or "I'll come back when there is more light", etc. --- and oddly, or not, some smoothing almost seems unnatural, and so I add grain at times...

Do you have any modules you see as a must-use in DT as advice/direction?

I have a file open now of a moth taken at 20,000 ISO (high shutter/low light) and will also take the same file and process it in another program and then have a looksee --- though, I worry I am not good enough at DT and may miss some easy masks or things during processing, thus not be able to get the best out of it.

Still, I am always very keen on getting away from paid software if possible - I can see that AI NR is very good, but I just don't want to, as irrational as that is, or not. I just accept that I have ISOs where I just go, "oh well, better do it better next time" or "I'll come back when there is more light", etc. --- and oddly, or not, some smoothing almost seems unnatural, and so I add grain at times...

Do you have any modules you see as a must-use in DT as advice/direction?
I like the Tone Equalizer. It's a very powerful alternative to a simple tone curve, ridiculously malleable, but it can also destroy an image if overdone. Check out the auto settings in the hamburger menu before you do it manually, just to see how it's used.

Kind of pissed they deprecated the contrast/brightness/saturation module. I rarely used the contrast or saturation, but I liked the brightness with a mask to pull the sky back some when necessary.

Check out Bruce Williams on You Tube. He's a DT whiz and keeps his tutorials nice and straight forward. I am going to see if he outlines an alternative to the brightness module. There was some indication on DT's website but it sounded like too many gyrations for something so simple.

roger that

will check him out and have a go tomorrow

roger that

will check him out and have a go tomorrow
Well rats. I looked up new DT videos from Mr. Williams and it seems he's taken a vacation but plans to be back at it soon. No 4.4.2 videos yet. I also went back to the DT manual and read up on how to handle brightness. This is one place I very much disagree with them. They took a simple process and made it complicated. If they're trying to attract more users, and especially newbies, they failed.

I didn't get to it today, damned work got in the way (still waiting on a piece to come out now) --- so, I guess I should look up how to mask, as that is something I would do for sure

I didn't get to it today, damned work got in the way (still waiting on a piece to come out now) --- so, I guess I should look up how to mask, as that is something I would do for sure
The combined parametric/drawn mask is incredibly powerful.

I know this is of no interest to the Adobe zombies but for those of us who will not be assimilated, DT has just released 4.4.2

This version is especially exciting for me because:

A) it now supports Profiled Denoise for the A7 IV. As opposed to most NR programs which depend on luminance for the information, DT's Profiled Denoise uses actual samples from the camera for each ISO setting, so it's based on real sensor performance. I am hoping this will mean I no longer need to denoise in Affinity, save as a PNG, then finish in DT.

B) It finally supports Sony's Lossless Compressed RAW. Been waiting for this one.

DT is extremely aggressive in updating, turning out at least one and typically 2+ updates per year. As a free, open-source program they depend on users to submit camera profiles so they can be added to the modules.

I've been a GNU/Linux guy for three decades, thank you for steering me toward Darktable. I plan to fetch the development version with SCBI so I can contribute even if it's just backtraces for now. Also, compiling software in its native environment is part of the fun.

Two questions:

- what do I inherently not understand about Darktable camera support? (I've noted my camera's absence from the list of cameras supported)

- are you running DT on a GNU/Linux system?

I've been a GNU/Linux guy for three decades, thank you for steering me toward Darktable. I plan to fetch the development version with SCBI so I can contribute even if it's just backtraces for now. Also, compiling software in its native environment is part of the fun.

Two questions:

- what do I inherently not understand about Darktable camera support? (I've noted my camera's absence from the list of cameras supported)

- are you running DT on a GNU/Linux system?
Are you addressing this to me? I am assuming my quoted message with no context from you in the post above goes along with this question.

Since they're open sourced they depend on people (users or developers) submitting information. The process is extensive since they have profiled noise reduction and other things that are camera-specific. Unless someone submits that info as a base line and someone volunteers to add the info to the list of cameras, it isn't there.

I use Windows.

Are you addressing this to me? I am assuming my quoted message with no context from you in the post above goes along with this question.

Since they're open sourced they depend on people (users or developers) submitting information. The process is extensive since they have profiled noise reduction and other things that are camera-specific. Unless someone submits that info as a base line and someone volunteers to add the info to the list of cameras, it isn't there.

I use Windows.
Yes (I thought I clicked the reply button on your op re: 4.2.2). Thank you for your reply, I'm looking forward to getting involved.

FYI, it took over a year for the A7 IV to be added and it still doesn't recognize Lossless Compressed RAW files. Irritating as I'd love to be able to shoot LCR in my A7 IV. I am hoping the LCR from the A1 is already there or my storage situation is going to hit critical mass pretty quickly. My guess is the A7CR will take even longer unless you do it yourself.

it took over a year for the A7 IV to be added and it still doesn't recognize Lossless Compressed RAW files.

It does, too! :)

I think I posted, on another recent thread, my results of which formats dt would/wouldn't open, done when I first got it.

We're both on 4.2.2? You're on Windows; I'm on Linux. I wonder of that makes a difference?

Anyway, I've become a jpeg shooter again. At least for a few weeks. And people are really liking the pics!

When I open LCR files I get a weird MP number and a black frame on two sides. I haven't tried 4.6 yet, need to download it.

Back