Brian Nicholson
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Penicuik, Midlothian
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have arrived at a decision...

I am very soon going to upgrade to the FE 70-200 f2.8 GM mkii and x2 teleconverter.

My initial plan was to upgrade to the 100-400 but when I saw the reviews of the mkii 70-200 ( I own the original f4) and with reading Tims article in full and other research feel this is the best combination for my photography .

Curious to hear anyone else using this combo 😊👍

Last edited:
I have arrived at a decision...

I am very soon going to upgrade to the 70-200 mkii and x2 teleconverter.

My initial plan was to upgrade to the 100-400 but when I saw the reviews of the mkii 70-200 ( I own the original f4) and with reading Tims article in full and other research feel this is the best combination for my photography .

Curious to hear anyone else using this combo 😊👍
Hi,not yet,I've been looking at this lens for a while, the 200-600mm I have is basically useless in the UK after the sun goes down so this may be the solution. Not sure about the reach but I have a 1.4 teleconverter which from what I've read,seems to work well. Keep us posted on how you get on.

Hi,not yet,I've been looking at this lens for a while, the 200-600mm I have is basically useless in the UK after the sun goes down so this may be the solution. Not sure about the reach but I have a 1.4 teleconverter which from what I've read,seems to work well. Keep us posted on how you get on.
Hi Mike,

Will do 👍

Hi Brian!

which 70-200 mark II? There are two now - the GM and the G. I have both TCs too.

I took the new 70-200 G II out with the 2x today. I have exercised the GM II with the 2x as well.

Hi Brian!

which 70-200 mark II? There are two now - the GM and the G. I have both TCs too.

I took the new 70-200 G II out with the 2x today. I have exercised the GM II with the 2x as well.
I mean the f2.8 GM mkii

Hi Brian!

I have updated my post....how do you find the x2 on the 70-200 f2.8 Mkii version, cheers

Both teleconverters work fine on both mark II lenses. The 1.4x costs one stop, so the f/2.8 become f/4, and the f/4 becomes f/5.6. The 2x costs 2 stops, so the GM II becomes a 140-400 f/5.6, which is quite handy at times; the G II becomes a 140-400 f/8, which sounds bad, but is outweighed by the fact that the A7RV and A1 happily AF at even smaller apertures (I tried AF at f/11 with the G II on 2x with no slow down - I've previously used AF at f/13 on the 200-600 + 2x at 1200mm).

With strong light (we get a lot of days with minimal clouds around my area) the AF and images are excellent with the 2x, but it does seem to fall off faster as the light diminishes and auto-ISO ramps up.

It has been suggested to me that I got a particularly good example of the 2x - I honestly do not know. What I can say it that out of the 3 lenses I have which I can use with the 2x, the f/2.8 does seem the best suited - I think that's probably understandable: f/5.6 vs f/8 vs f/13...

I have the GM MkII 1.4 TC setup.

Love it. And no need for the 100-400 imo. Can go straight to the 200-600. On a high res body cropping at 280mm works just fine and no detriment to IQ or autofocus that I can discern.

Both teleconverters work fine on both mark II lenses. The 1.4x costs one stop, so the f/2.8 become f/4, and the f/4 becomes f/5.6. The 2x costs 2 stops, so the GM II becomes a 140-400 f/5.6, which is quite handy at times; the G II becomes a 140-400 f/8, which sounds bad, but is outweighed by the fact that the A7RV and A1 happily AF at even smaller apertures (I tried AF at f/11 with the G II on 2x with no slow down - I've previously used AF at f/13 on the 200-600 + 2x at 1200mm).

With strong light (we get a lot of days with minimal clouds around my area) the AF and images are excellent with the 2x, but it does seem to fall off faster as the light diminishes and auto-ISO ramps up.

It has been suggested to me that I got a particularly good example of the 2x - I honestly do not know. What I can say it that out of the 3 lenses I have which I can use with the 2x, the f/2.8 does seem the best suited - I think that's probably understandable: f/5.6 vs f/8 vs f/13...
Thanks a lot.... yeah I was talking to another guy and he had heard the same so he ordered 3 if the x2 teleconverter and one of them was better than the others.

As primarily a landscape photographer autofocus isn't a major issue for me.

Cheers

Brian 😊

Back