Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Borough Market in London Bridge is one of the oldest markets in London, dating back to 1014. It is a wonderful place to shop for your groceries, take aways, coffee shops and restaurants. It's not cheap, but the quality is always excellent. Out of interest, what do the cousins across the pond think about the price of those sandwiches?

sandwich_boroughmarket-4.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 12800

strawberries_boroughmarket-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 106.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 2000

Bread and Cheese at the market, who could want for more.

boroughmarket_bread-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 6400

boroughmarket-9.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 1600

Ed, nice pictures. As to your question about the prices, I think we have similar pricing when it comes to "artisanal" vendors. Personally, if its good quality, I don't mind paying for it.

Ed, nice pictures. As to your question about the prices, I think we have similar pricing when it comes to "artisanal" vendors. Personally, if its good quality, I don't mind paying for it.
Good to know, and totally agree. I was wondering about the deli style sandwiches, they are really very good, but pretty expensive at US$13.00 for a takeaway street food.

Good to know, and totally agree. I was wondering about the deli style sandwiches, they are really very good, but pretty expensive at US$13.00 for a takeaway street food.
I think there's a spectrum between real "street food" like a vendor with a cart/food truck and "restaurant/shop" with these leaning more to the latter. It seems, from your photos, that these vendors are at least semi-permanent and displaying their wares in front of their shops.

I bet it smelled amazing as you were walking about and taking photos!

I think there's a spectrum between real "street food" like a vendor with a cart/food truck and "restaurant/shop" with these leaning more to the latter. It seems, from your photos, that these vendors are at least semi-permanent and displaying their wares in front of their shops.

I bet it smelled amazing as you were walking about and taking photos!
Smells are great! Borough market is a roofed area, but it is open on all four sides. There are a number of stalls, that a permanent, such as the cheese stall (Mons), while others are just open pitches, where the vendors turnup and setup (for a fee). So most of the take away is either street food or street food style. But there are also a number of established resturants in and around the market.

Four quid for a small portion of chips! Horrendous. I could get a meal for 400 Indian Rupees. But not in a fancy outlet.

I used to spend five quid a day on a full hot meal with two mugs of tea. Oh... twenty years and one truss ago. Dario's cafe. Monmouth St? The area known as Petticoat Lane

Back