Followers
Following
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
I am very bad in keeping the information on how to get to places where the bird are in my head.
So I am writing down the streets and track names on which I need to be on to get to the places.
Also I have to put down on where I need to turn right or left.
When I am finished it will be in the car at all times and I know it will work for me.
Then will come the day when I am no longer able to do this but these places will be here for longer than I will.
So I hope to be able to pass this on to a younger club member in the future.
I know I need going to all of this may to some seem a lot of work but for me it will pay off in the long run.

Could you use a GPS on your smartphone and simply write down the coordinates? Then anyone could enter them and get there using a map program.

Could you use a GPS on your smartphone and simply write down the coordinates? Then anyone could enter them and get there using a map program.
I would like to do that but sadly me and these electronic thing's don't go hand in hand.
I have got a Garmin GPS and I don't know how to use it and not for the lack of trying to understand it.
I just have got some sort of block that stops me for being able to understand it all.
So I have had to go this way.

I can certainly understand that. I have one of those little handheld trail marker systems. The idea is you press start before going into the woods, and it marks every turn and path you take. Then, you touch reverse and simply follow it back out. I 'learned' (loosely applied) how to use it, but it seemed like every time I tried I was referring back to the manual. I never did get it properly sorted, finally gave up and put it back in the box where it's lived since.

This is a lot simpler though. Cellphone map programs like Google give you the coordinates automatically. Just open the map and it will show your current location. Tap on the dot and it will bring up information for that area, including the coordinates. Just save it or drop a pin and then anyone you share the information with can get there from any direction.

I used to like to drive back roads and see what I could see, stopping to take photos of cool buildings, scenery, bridges etc. as I went. I can't tell you how many times I've taken a photo and then wondered later where I had been! There's one particular barn I've been trying to locate for a couple years.

I can certainly understand that. I have one of those little handheld trail marker systems. The idea is you press start before going into the woods, and it marks every turn and path you take. Then, you touch reverse and simply follow it back out. I 'learned' (loosely applied) how to use it, but it seemed like every time I tried I was referring back to the manual. I never did get it properly sorted, finally gave up and put it back in the box where it's lived since.

This is a lot simpler though. Cellphone map programs like Google give you the coordinates automatically. Just open the map and it will show your current location. Tap on the dot and it will bring up information for that area, including the coordinates. Just save it or drop a pin and then anyone you share the information with can get there from any direction.

I used to like to drive back roads and see what I could see, stopping to take photos of cool buildings, scenery, bridges etc. as I went. I can't tell you how many times I've taken a photo and then wondered later where I had been! There's one particular barn I've been trying to locate for a couple years.
I have got a phone app called All trails and this is maybe the best and most simple one to follow where I walk and then I look at it and I know where I started from. And this is all I can handle as the harder or simpler it gets it just seems so much harder to understand for me. It is like I have got a block that will not let me understand just how these things to work and I will even say the same goes for camera's. So I learn but repeating what I done the last time and to leave things so others can follow where I have been is well over my head of understanding.
So I do things that I know that will work for me. Yes they are very basic but that is me to a tee. I am not good with modern things as much as I wish I could but I just have to go with what I understand and I understand my written words. I let my wife read my directions to a place I am going to tomorrow called Mallanbool and she understood my directions to it. So this works for me and I have to go with it.

Back