Do you take your camera with you always?

rbickett

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Ryan
Country
United States
City/State
Minneapolis, MN
I don't always have my camera with me and I find that more times than not I am wishing I had it with me. So, it got me thinking. How often do other photographers bring their camera with them? If you take it with you frequently or daily, what is the main gear you have? I guess the question would be what's your most basic setup?

I don’t take a camera along unless I’m going out for photography. I used to years ago. Now if there’s a surprise scene or sunset I use my iPhone.
What is your genre? What types of things are you seeing that you wish you had a camera for?

If you are out on a photography trip take it EVERYWHERE. I have learnt from my mistakes and missed wildlife photos!
Yes it does feel odd taking your 200-600mm to your dining table...

I always took mine with me for years, and got a lot of great shots I wouldn't have otherwise. I've fallen out of the habit - though I do always have my iPhone with me - but want to get back into the habit. Great photo opportunities can happen anywhere at any time...

Around home I have my camera and lenses within easy reach so that I can grab them when needed; when going out-and-about, say to the grocery store and just running errands, I don't take a camera, but of course always have my iPhone with me if an unexpected photo op happens. When traveling, depending upon the nature and purpose of the trip, I'll either take my small RX100 VII or sometimes the RX10 IV rather than my ILC gear; then again, I haven't really had an opportunity to travel out of town since I purchased the A7R IV anyway....

I usually always have my A6500 with me, mostly with just the 16-50mm since its so compact. If I know I need more reach I will take a 24-240mm also.

I try to keep one with me, or at least in the car, all the time. I find it very difficult to take pictures when I do not have it with me.
Gary

Yes on my off days from work and only some days to work when I'm at a different location or group of people. If you are a street shooter then yes always. If you have narrowed done your specialty to let's say Portraits, weddings or Boudior. Then I don't see one carrying to to carry

I always have something with me. I also shoot film but here in Arizona it's over 100f (38c) for months & sometimes I won't be carrying my film camera inside so I leave it at home.

I do yes. Although I might take many pictures on a smartphone it's not that hard to sling an A7 and a 50mm prime in the laptop bag. As someone once said the best camera ever is the one you have with you.

If you are out on a photography trip take it EVERYWHERE. I have learnt from my mistakes and missed wildlife photos!
Yes it does feel odd taking your 200-600mm to your dining table...

I feel your pain! I was visiting my parents and did this exact thing! They have a massive Golden Eagle that travels around them, and we saw it 3x that day, but I didn't have it ready and missed it each time.

I have learned that if I'm going for a walk in the park, or out on a hike to bring my gear. I bring either my 100-400GM or 200-600G and typically the 24 GM for landscapes. When I'm going to a city or densely populated area where photo ops are limited, I leave the gear at home.

Ever since I got my macro lens, my brain has shifted into macro mode. I've been noticing macro opportunities everywhere!

I have a dedicated macro camera that is currently traveling everywhere I go.

I struggle to find reasons for why I should leave it at home. Just sits in the bottom of my backpack and is a delightful bit of kit.

Always try to have one with me - often A7C with 28-60 - used to be RX1RII. Photographic trip likely A7RIV + more lenses depending on trip.

I try to have a camera with me anywhere I go. Some of my most meaningful pictures came when I least expected them. It was harder when I was using a DSLR, but now that I am all mirrorless, it is much easier.

If I'm going somewhere that might furnish opportunity surprises, I bring the big cams in car trunk. Places like grocery store, local errands, etc -- I bring the sony RX100 which fits in my shirt pocket or a small belt pouch.

Back