Aviation Embraer 190SR coming in to land.

evacguy

Veteran Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
BA G-LCYL coming in to land at London City Airport.
embraer_190SR_G-LCYL-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 160
embraer_190SR_G-LCYL-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 160
embraer_190SR_G-LCYL-4.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 160
embraer_190SR_G-LCYL-5.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 160

The last image is a cropped version of the second last image. Are either of these two images examples of telephoto forced perspective? And if so, is that a bad thing? The reason I ask is that a person in another forum dismissed the last photograph as an example of forced perspective and essentially dismissing the image as somehow being unreal. Any comments welcome.

Hi, Ed,

The last image is a cropped version of the second last image. Are either of these two images examples of telephoto forced perspective?
"telephoto forced perspective" sounds like a conflation of two concepts.

Here are a few articles to consider.

and

and

https://photographylife.com/what-is-distortion (scroll down to Perspective Distortion)

And if so, is that a bad thing?
I don't get the impression that you sought to create an illusion in the original or cropped images by manipulating perspective. If you had, that would be an artistic expression, except from characterizations like good or bad.

The reason I ask is that a person in another forum dismissed the last photograph as an example of forced perspective and essentially dismissing the image as somehow being unreal. Any comments welcome.
Nothing about photography is real.

Last edited:
Hi, Ed,

"telephoto forced perspective" sounds like a conflation of two concepts.

Here are a few articles to consider.

and

and

https://photographylife.com/what-is-distortion (scroll down to Perspective Distortion)

I don't get the impression that you sought to create an illusion in the original or cropped images by manipulating perspective. If you had, that would be an artistic expression, except from characterizations like good or bad.

Nothing about photography is real.
Thanks ST, really interesting stuff. Does cropping impact Lens Compression? Clearly, the camera/photographer has not moved or changed their position relative to the subject or background, but by cropping into an image you are giving the impression that you are closer to the subject.

Back