Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Flying over Greenwich on approach to LHR.
ethaid_a380-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II + 2X Teleconverter
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200

Great shot!

Saw one go over my head (departing) on my approach to LHR this morning 😂

Save me posting a new topic. May I ask a question..

What’s the lense like v what you were using before.

Reason I ask is I’m looking to trade up a few zooms starting with my 70-200f4.

I’ve just got a trade in value on my 70-200F4 to soften the blow.

Im on the fence with trading up to the mk1 or mk2. The offer im looking at gets me a mk 1 70-200 F2.8 for around £1200 with Sony cash back, less my trade in so seems a good deal.

The mk 2 sits nearer £1900 after my trade in.

Not sure how to justify the extra £700, but may not need much persuasion 😅

Last edited:
Great shot!

Saw one go over my head (departing) on my approach to LHR this morning 😂

Save me posting a new topic. May I ask a question..

What’s the lense like v what you were using before.

Reason I ask is I’m looking to trade up a few zooms starting with my 70-200f4.

I’ve just got a trade in value on my 70-200F4 to soften the blow.

Im on the fence with trading up to the mk1 or mk2. The offer im looking at gets me a mk 1 70-200 F2.8 for around £1200 with Sony cash back, less my trade in so seems a good deal.

The mk 2 sits nearer £1900 after my trade in.

Not sure how to justify the extra £700, but may not need much persuasion 😅
I didn’t use the MK1 so can’t compare. My understanding though is that the MK2 is a lot lighter than the MK1. The MK2 is always on my camera, it’s really light so I don’t mind taking it everywhere. It also has faster focusing. I gotta say, the speed of the auto focus on this thing is awesome. I suggest for £700 the MK2 is worth every penny. I love this lens, there is nothing it can’t do.

I’ve been searching the posts on the site, haven’t found too many mk 1 users expressing comments and sharing pictures unless I’m missing something, was the mk 1 unpopular for any reason?

I’ve been searching the posts on the site, haven’t found too many mk 1 users expressing comments and sharing pictures unless I’m missing something, was the mk 1 unpopular for any reason?
As far as I know the MK1 wasn’t ‘unpopular’ it was a great lens, but the MK2 is better. I think a lot of frequent shooters on this site use longer lenses, especially for birding, or shorter lenses for other shots. I love the 70-200 and use it for everything. My only other lens (50mm) doesn’t get a look in.

I was using the 70-200 f4 quite a lot until I got the 24-105 f4. Seems like that doesn’t leave my camera now.

Was thinking of moving to a 24-70 f2.8 as well at some point and a 35 or 50 1.2 or 1.4 prime to replace the 24-105 and the zeiss 55 f1.8. Not that I need to, more that I want to 🤦‍♂️

As photography is only a hobby for me, that would be my ideal set up for a few years to come.

Back