Experiences in Costa Rica (A1 and 600f4)

Astacus

Followers
Following
Name
Robert Beynon
I have just returned from a wonderful trip to Costa Rica (8 sites, 24 days), mostly birding with me as attendant recorder. A few observations

1. The A1 and the 600f4, usually with the 1.4TC, performed superbly. I noticed an occasional issue where AF stopped, but this was cleared with a quick release lens/reclick, re power up (suspect dirty contacts - there is a bit of play in the mount). I estimate 10K images, and these are currently being loaded into LR - a lot of culling do.

2. My setup was auto ISO, F4 or 5.6 in most instances, hand held or supported on an old but favourite, suitcase packable Gitzo monopod (there was a lot of walking, and the system could be slung over my shoulder as we walked on). As the stay progressed, the weather worsened, and the forests got darker, so I eventually raised the max ISO to 12,800. The images are still useable. I expect Topaz denoise to be busy though. I used AF-C small, tracking nearly all the time. I will soon find out if 12,800 is pushing it too far! The heron was definitely 12,800.. it was near darkness in biblical rain!

3. I wore out the ferrule on the monopod (!), but no harm done, and have ordered replacement rubber walking stick ferrules.

4. I used to have (Nikon days) a rule that if a bird was the same size as the focus square in the viewfinder, it was too small for anything other than a record shot. No longer. I am amazed by the extent of detail even with a heavy crop - certainly a good record shot. I never talked myself out of shot on the basis that it seemed too hopeful but gained acceptable images at very slow shutter speeds sometimes. Cards are cheap, try it, became my philosophy.

5. My set up also wrote the image to RAW (card 1) and JPEG superfine 50M on card 2. That mean that I could quickly look at the jpegs on my iPad each night, and pull a few for sharing. I had 128GB SDXC cards for RAW and 64 GB SDXC cards for JPEGS. When one was full, I changed both out. I am home with about 800GB of RAW images. I'll back up the RAW and JPEG, and will not use the cards until I am sure the images are in two locations.

6. We walked, typically 10Km per day, stopping often to listen and wait. Even in the subtropical heat, I had no trouble carrying this system, with a bag (water/snacks/batteries etc). I'm no spring chicken!

7. I took the system out in the rain (and it can certainly rain in CR). No problems at all.

8. The 600f4 is covered in a camo neoprene cover. I do this a) because the big cream thing is quite intrusive), the cover protects the lens body from minor scuffs (resale) and because it renders the lens more 'anonymous'. I got lots of 'wow that's a big lens - you must take great photos with that' iphone brigade, but if I stopped to show them a recent picture and zoomed in on back of cmaera, they did seem tog et what I was doing. All interactions were pleasant.

9. Incidentally, and not to be dismissive of iphone users, I did not take a single standard or WA lens. I did all the 'location' shots with my phone. As well as neat timelapses of the Arenal volcano (yes, we saw it, for those who know this location)

10. There was a LOT of Sony gear around, but I was afforded a huge level of lens envy, and make have stimulated a few sales by letting 200-600 users se how light the 600 actually is!

11. Being paranoid, I brought a backup system of my older A9 and my first gen 70-200. After using the A1 and the 600mm, these were sooo different. I never felt as comfortable or as confident using either. I have decided that I am unlikely to use either, and will let them go, in exchange for a 70-200 MkII.

12. A big mistake was to see if the darker subjects/ images could be helped by flash, so I bought a flash just before we left. Mistake. It took me a long time to get any basic images, suitable lit. The fresnel lens beaming system could not be made to work. I am sure this is all me. I need to invest some time in understanding flash.

13. One final point. The bodies and the 600 f4 travelled with me in my Lowepro bag, along with flash, TC etc. My backpack was heavy, and unlike the main suitcase, was never checked in, so I found carrying it through airports quite hard work. I am looking to get a wheely camera gear solution, and will appreciate recommendations.

I'm basically delighted with this system. When I have processed some images, I will post them. For now, here are a couple of crudely processed jpegs. Don't be hard on them, they were crudely cleaned up jpegs for sharing, and have also been twittified.

Attachments

• FQ6QE5xWQAEIxhN.jpg
    FQ6QE5xWQAEIxhN.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 109
  • FQ07Yo6WYAIgAUK.jpg
    FQ07Yo6WYAIgAUK.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 113
  • FREacFNXIAIeRV-.jpg
    FREacFNXIAIeRV-.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 105
  • FRtbzqFXoAEYf-m.jpg
    FRtbzqFXoAEYf-m.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 103
Brilliant report Robert and amazing images! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us! We were planning to go to Costa Rica a couple of years back but our son changed those plans! The next holiday will probably be Disney Land now! 🙂

14. Much as I love the 600f4, the minimum focusing distance (4.5m, admittedly comparable to Canikon products) was quite frustrating, as I often had to step back to capture a small bird that was closer. This does not change with the TC, but does limit the number of pixels that could cover, for example, the tiny common tody flycatcher in the post above.

15. There were times when the lens used its ability to focus well, to grab anything but the subject. Manual over-ride of focus was challenging, because a) monopod, and ) the neoprene cover, which creates friction that prevents fluid focusing. I lost flighty birds becuase of that.

16. I'm up to 16,000 shots and counting. I need to LR to apply AI to identify all the 'out of focus', 'bird has flown, dummy', 'it's a stick, what are you doing?' and ' this is just a blur, idiot' shots and suggest deleting them

Nice post, and kudos on those hummingbird shots!

Nice! My wife and I did Costa Rica a few years back. I still have the soft tissue damage on my posterior to remind me about the state of the "roads". We too returned with thousands of images and like you say, the light conditions are challenging so a lot hit the floor. Looking forward to seeing some final images.

Am intrigued at the thought of travelling with such a big lens, I'm currently moving away from nikon to save weight having retired to travel a few years back and subsequently developing spinal / shoulder issues.

I had some trouble carrying on my camera gear - there's a weight limit on carry-ons on commercial flights.

I got away with it on one flight; on the second I was allowed to take it on, but charged extra. Still better than letting them stick it in the cargo hold.

Nice! My wife and I did Costa Rica a few years back. I still have the soft tissue damage on my posterior to remind me about the state of the "roads". We too returned with thousands of images and like you say, the light conditions are challenging so a lot hit the floor. Looking forward to seeing some final images.

Am intrigued at the thought of travelling with such a big lens, I'm currently moving away from nikon to save weight having retired to travel a few years back and subsequently developing spinal / shoulder issues.

Well, I've just managed to grab a couple of airmiles flights to CR next year with KLM. Air France was not an option (they served us, vegetarians, foie grass for our meal!) and we're (forgive us), just a bit 'off USA' at the moment (guns, SOTUS etc - we're almost as bad in the UK). So, back again next year, and looking for new suggestions about locations!

Travelling with the big lens is certainly tolerable. The complicated part is the flights, but with care, the lens can be accommodated in my camera bag, along with the body - though I'd like to find a wheeled bag to make airports easier. The hood, monopod and the other lenses (70-20 for close hummingbird encounters) goes into checked luggage. We're going to Singapore for a week of asian bird spotting later this year, and we'll do the same again. Once we were in CR, the lens TC1.4 and camera and monopod became a permanent structure, put into the backs of vehicles, or on my lap, and the rest of the time, I walked with is (10k per day easily). I have a neoprene sleeve on most of the lens to protect from minor scrapes, but I expect this lens to be tough - it is a professional lens after all.

I had no trouble walking with and carrying this lens, and I hit 70 next year

The quality of the images makes it absolutely worth it!

Rob

I had some trouble carrying on my camera gear - there's a weight limit on carry-ons on commercial flights.

I got away with it on one flight; on the second I was allowed to take it on, but charged extra. Still better than letting them stick it in the cargo hold.
Yes, I carry the most expensive items and put the other bits in the hold luggage, securely surrounded by clothes.

The system is no trivial to wield, but it not unduly heavy when perched on a monopod.
Unknown-1.jpeg

I noted your comment using flash and can understand for rainforest conditions it can have its uses.

I tried the Fresnel better beamer system some years ago and quite frankly as a professional engineer was not
impressed with the either the design, set up and/or operation.

Subsequently I went to the "MagMod" system(see image) which also has a Fresnel lens glass but is infinitely
more flexible and easy to use in the field as direct silicon and magnetic attachment(s) to your flash unit....no messing
about and it can be fit to you flash in seconds with a variety of diffusion heads.

If Flash becomes a significant part of your use case I would thoroughly recommend taking a look at the MagMod
and its associated attachments system....some like them others not but I personally found they worked fine and
gave the flexbility and speed of fitting removal i need in the field.View attachment 22145

I noted your comment using flash and can understand for rainforest conditions it can have its uses.

I tried the Fresnel better beamer system some years ago and quite frankly as a professional engineer was not
impressed with the either the design, set up and/or operation.

Subsequently I went to the "MagMod" system(see image) which also has a Fresnel lens glass but is infinitely
more flexible and easy to use in the field as direct silicon and magnetic attachment(s) to your flash unit....no messing
about and it can be fit to you flash in seconds with a variety of diffusion heads.

If Flash becomes a significant part of your use case I would thoroughly recommend taking a look at the MagMod
and its associated attachments system....some like them others not but I personally found they worked fine and
gave the flexbility and speed of fitting removal i need in the field.View attachment 22145

I have ttriede both the plasticky fresnel system, and the magmod system. I agree re the former - hopeless to keep in the same place. The Magmod system - is very very heavy, and adds significantly to the overall weight of the system, especially off tripod. I guess the optics experts will tell me why it is not possible to just pop something over the flash-head to concentrate the beam into a tight one?

Even then, it takes a lot of getting right. Many flash images have a crispy brightness that doesn't look natural to me - I don't expect to see a leaf tosser lit up as if it is in broad daylight.

nice detailed report with useful tips and sharp images. I may have missed which type of bag held the 600..

Very enlightening report and thanks for taking the time to add it to the forum , some great images and sound like you are going to be busy with post processing for some time , looking forward to seeing some more images . Costa Rica is on my list of go to places but to be fair I have a massive list so whether I ever get there is another question .

I am going to CR next March with a photography group. I appreciate you sharing as it helps me to mentally prepare.

You're welcome. We're going back in March too!
Next time: A1, 600mm f4, 70-200 f2.8, 200-600 (just in case). No flash. No other body. 3 batteries, 1TB CF card total, monopod. For me this is travelling light. I might, however, pack a tripod, as I might try some video. I may take a standard lens also.
One more pic (processing is slooow)
LdL.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 600mm F4 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter
  • 840.0 mm
  • Ć’/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1250

Hello, what make of neoprene cover are you using and how well has it coped with usage in such places?
Ahh.. this one

To be honest, some of the smaller biuts are fiddly, and I leave them off. I'm mostly interested in reducing the visibility of the hood and the main body of the lens. Also, the fit is very tight, which can make manual focus harder, but I hardly ever use this.

My personal philosophy on this is that the gear is mean to be used and hauled about. My kit is well insured against theft and damage.. I use the neoprene mostly to avoid minor scrapes from chucking it in the back of a vehicle, and it keeps my hands warm!

At home, and in the filed, the body/lens is often stood vertically on the hood with a collapsed monopod protruding. I grab and go. You never know what you're gonna see. Kestrel+crow neighbours.

I still love this system, here's an extreme crop of a buzzard from about 100m away, in late afternoon light. It's not going to win prizes, but still very pleasing.

Attachments

• buzzard-2.jpg
    buzzard-2.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 85
  • KestrelCrow.jpg
    KestrelCrow.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 85

New in Marketplace

Back