Gary Finn
Country
Australia
City/State
Coogee Beach
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi,
Found this sky thing in the tools list in Luminar Neo.
It makes me feel like I must wash my hands after using it.

GJF06531.JPG
Original

GJF06531a.jpeg
Neo Sky

GJF07034.JPG
Original.

GJF07034.jpeg
Neo Sky.

It's a popular tool, given that Skylum sell extra skies, and I could set up a series of my own like we do when preparing architectural drawings/renderings (which I feel is ok since it's meant to express the "artist's vision").

Do you cringe a little when you see these fakes?

Edit: Oh, and what tool can I use to erase that swan out of frame bottom centre? :)

Gaz

It doesn't bother me unless someone tries to sell it as an original photo. Say nothing, ok. Say it's replaced, ok. Say it was original, not ok.

I had a version of Luminar 3, pre-ordered Luminar AI, then cancelled it when I learned about their business practices. It was fun, but other programs will do the same thing with different levels of effort.

To remove the swan I'd use inpainting or clone tool.

If you want an honest answer, yes it makes me cringe and is something I would never use.

I goofed around with it, but never saved a sky replacement when I had the program. This is as far as I ever took it:

woods orig by telecast, on Flickr

woods by telecast, on Flickr

Not a Sony image. Gee...I hope the forum police don't arrest me...:whistle:

I'm hearing ya. I got Luminar Neo because I wanted to use a different program than Lightroom. I tried On1 first and had technical issues, so that wasn't happening. Tried Luminar Neo and basically feel sick after seeing what it does. This type of program pretty much allows an absolute idiot be able to present a 'wow' image out of nothing...

That red sky!
The annoying thing is, I got up one morning and witnessed the most amazing sunrise, but only had my iPhone. Seems like nobody really likes it and I think that's because I'm sure they think it is fake!! The beach is usually busy with people exercising but this morning, they just lined the shore and stared out to sea.
F183CE34-B849-41F3-80E2-3565FAFD4882.jpg
No Mods - iPhone 12

I goofed around with it, but never saved a sky replacement when I had the program. This is as far as I ever took it:

woods orig by telecast, on Flickr

woods by telecast, on Flickr

Not a Sony image. Gee...I hope the forum police don't arrest me...:whistle:

Getting sunlight to stream through the woods on any given day takes patience! Aint nobody got time for that! Haha.

I hadn't seen any practical use for the fake sunlight tool until now! All I need now are some sirens.

I like Luminar AI's burning and dodging tools, and their clone too, plus their erase tool. I never use any of the fake junk, never swap in fake skies or the like.

I like Luminar AI's burning and dodging tools, and their clone too, plus their erase tool. I never use any of the fake junk, never swap in fake skies or the like.
Im finding the dust removal tool particularly handy! Where does al that come from? :)
Gaz

Gaz, I appreciate that you mean well and everything but I certainly hope the trophy is for what I wrote and not my images mate. I am actually embarrassed by them and would never ever claim it as my work

I never wanted those things to see the light of day and I've only actually shared them with one member here on private messages, because you made this post I just thought I'd show people what the program is capable of, I absolutely do not want any appraisal for them.

Although I do think it's pretty crazy that software can do what it can do, I see that it completely destroys the whole craft of being a skilled photographer and I'm happy to keep working my arse off until I am truly satisfied with the images that I can create.

I‘m old fashioned in that I like to get it right in camera. This new software means someone can take a poor photo and if they are good with the software can produce and good image.
Hasn't that always been the case? Back 50 years, and you can be a real artist but a lousy technician, so all those images were worked up by a highly skilled lab guy who got little recognition..

Gaz, I appreciate that you mean well and everything but I certainly hope the trophy is for what I wrote and not my images mate. I am actually embarrassed by them and would never ever claim it as my work

I never wanted those things to see the light of day and I've only actually shared them with one member here on private messages, because you made this post I just thought I'd show people what the program is capable of, I absolutely do not want any appraisal for them.

Although I do think it's pretty crazy that software can do what it can do, I see that it completely destroys the whole craft of being a skilled photographer and I'm happy to keep working my arse off until I am truly satisfied with the images that I can create.
The problem is the heart thing has a ridiculous laughing face, so it seems to lack any genuine appreciation. I'm using the trophy for the comments.... As in better than thumbs up.

The fake sky makes me cringe. I'd feel a little better if the sky was an image I hold the rights for. And, as you can imagine I'm not going back to Prague any time soon, so I appreciate the merit in software that lets an average punter adjust their holiday snaps. I'm an Architect, so I know what it's like to get your intellectual property ripped off. Not For Publication without full disclosure in appreciation for the skill of the sky guy... like 2 minute novelty.

Affinity.

Never used Luminar, but it seems to be the top AI editor, if you're into that sort of thing.
I have tried Sky swaps in ON1, and they are equally jarring, but maybe even more so? because the "sky" layer in only pasted on with a gradient effect, rather than these examples above where the entire scene is manipulated by Luminar.

Here's one example from ON1:
DSC00896_ON1_sm.jpg
  • ILCE-6400
  • Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 23.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1600

The original (Japan 2019) is buried in my hard drives, but it featured a dull early evening sky. Perhaps because the conditions of the capture and the sky swap were similar it is aaalmost believable. Still, I know its fake and I haven't shared it except here as an academic discussion.

Hi,
Found this sky thing in the tools list in Luminar Neo.
It makes me feel like I must wash my hands after using it.

View attachment 30058
Original

View attachment 30057
Neo Sky

View attachment 30059
Original.

View attachment 30060
Neo Sky.

It's a popular tool, given that Skylum sell extra skies, and I could set up a series of my own like we do when preparing architectural drawings/renderings (which I feel is ok since it's meant to express the "artist's vision").

Do you cringe a little when you see these fakes?

Edit: Oh, and what tool can I use to erase that swan out of frame bottom centre? :)

Gaz

The same sky replacement feature is available in PhotoShop, too. I think it was added fairly recently (In 2022, I mean).

Back