Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
After reviewing more of the wildlife species, particularly birds, on this forum I doubt if I'm going post much wildlife. The users here have posted every kind of wildlife, from every angle, every color, every activity, etc, etc. And I seriously doubt if could add anything new, and certainly not anything better than has already been shot here. And I certainly don't have the exposure to the exotic animals/birds while living here in the Midwest flatlands. So maybe an animal every now and then. But I do have a falcon that may be worth posting now.

DSC04454-Falcon Head-B.jpg
  • ILCE-6000
  • FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS
  • 114.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

Crop close up:

DSC04454-Falcon Head-C.jpg
  • ILCE-6000
  • FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS
  • 114.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • ISO 100

Nice. There is some strange colour fringing on these.

Nice. There is some strange colour fringing on these.

Good eye, Kev; you are correct. This is an old photo w an a6000 back when I was young and unskilled, but now that I’m old and unskilled, I use the 7R iv to compensate for my unskillfulness. Back in my a6000 days I couldn’t even spell “fotografy.” This falcon was shot at a local Japanese garden during a Japanese field exhibition. The bird was perched on the trainer’s arm and there were people standing behind the bird. And back then I was learning Photoshop and tried to either mask or clone stamp the person out from behind bird.

Then recently (during lockdown) when perusing my library, I noticed this pic and since it’s the only semi-interesting shot I found, I thought I’d use it here. And of course, as you noticed, back then I didn’t do a very good job of editing out the person. Though back then I tried to wait for a clean background, but too many people crowded around admiring the raptor up close.

As I mentioned earlier in thread, it’s hard to find interesting birds in Illinois. (They all left because of the political corruption here). So I’m not going to post much wildlife, unless I go West to the Rockies after CoVid. The forum already has an ample supply of wildlife which I could never match. I post here mostly to help Tim’s mission for the forum to flourish (certainly justified with all the hard work and money he’s put into it), and to rationalize my (sometimes foolish) over-spending gobs of money on expensive magnesium and glass. Shameful, shameful… especially being a homeless person. 😉 And also trying to sustain the creative juices flowing and keeping the old brain from ossifying.

The Covid lockdown put a strain on everybody, so I was digging through some of my archives to help the forum’s momentum. But with Spring around the corner, gladly more new fresh film from my 7Riv.

Last edited:
Damn fine looking shots as far as I'm concerned. If you ever do get some other Bird shots, please post them. After all, it's up to the rest of us here to tell you that your shots are total crap, not you. :) Just kidding Mike!

Good eye, Kev; you are correct. This is an old photo w an a6000 back when I was young and unskilled, but now that I’m old and unskilled, I use the 7R iv to compensate for my unskillfulness. Back in my a6000 days I couldn’t even spell “fotografy.” This falcon was shot at a local Japanese garden during a Japanese field exhibition. The bird was perched on the trainer’s arm and there were people standing behind the bird. And back then I was learning Photoshop and tried to either mask or clone stamp the person out from behind bird.

Then recently (during lockdown) when perusing my library, I noticed this pic and since it’s the only semi-interesting shot I found, I thought I’d use it here. And of course, as you noticed, back then I didn’t do a very good job of editing out the person. Though back then I tried to wait for a clean background, but too many people crowded around admiring the raptor up close.

As I mentioned earlier in thread, it’s hard to find interesting birds in Illinois. (They all left because of the political corruption here). So I’m not going to post much wildlife, unless I go West to the Rockies after CoVid. The forum already has an ample supply of wildlife which I could never match. I post here mostly to help Tim’s mission for the forum to flourish (certainly justified with all the hard work and money he’s put into it), and to rationalize my (sometimes foolish) over-spending gobs of money on expensive magnesium and glass. Shameful, shameful… especially being a homeless person. 😉 And also trying to sustain the creative juices flowing and keeping the old brain from ossifying.

The Covid lockdown put a strain on everybody, so I was digging through some of my archives to help the forum’s momentum. But with Spring around the corner, gladly more new fresh film from my 7Riv.
It wasn't a criticism :) I wondered if it had been caused by the lens or the background.

It wasn't a criticism :) I wondered if it had been caused by the lens or the background.

Honestly Kev, I didn't think for a moment it was nefarious criticism! I'm getting to know a few of you guy's personalities and I can tell who's who. It was a well-intended catch on your part. Of course I noticed it prior to posting, and could have cleaned it up now to the point of being undetectable, now that I have some experience in digital surgery (aka: Editing). But sometimes I get lazy, and I've been super busy lately.

And rest assured, I welcome constructive criticism when it comes to aberrations, fringing, moire, etc — sometimes I miss it when in a hurry. Good to have a trusted critic on call here. And nowadays, sometimes I'm not quite as picky as before — bad quality, I know! But still I like to hear the "catches." And since I discussed this issue at length above, the next time you catch something, I'll likely just reply with a simple "Thanks." Instead of again burdening you with a long, tedious, drawn-out, verbose, mind-numbing dissertation on all the specific historic details around the unfolding backstory of the photo. (Ah... I see you smiling here! so it WAS a mind-numbing dissertation) :giggle: No worry.... all's good here! Thanks.

--------------
P.S. — (Just in case) Hopefully Jeff’s comment above didn’t prompt you to enter your post. Jeff’s comment was regarding my OP when I’m saying that I likely won’t be posting many bird shots (because of limited opportunity); and there are hundreds already posted here. Jeff, referred to my comment that I can’t top any bird shots that already exist here, which is true, so why would pursue the challenging BIF shots when other genres are much easier for me. His comment was about what I said. It had nothing to do with you or your post.

Jeff is a friend and we chat on phone regularly. We’re even allowed to jokingly insult each other since we secretly know we’re kidding and doing it only for humor effect.

Last edited:
Honestly Kev, I didn't think for a moment it was nefarious criticism! I'm getting to know a few of you guy's personalities and I can tell who's who. It was a well-intended catch on your part. Of course I noticed it prior to posting, and could have cleaned it up now to the point of being undetectable, now that I have some experience in digital surgery (aka: Editing). But sometimes I get lazy, and I've been super busy lately.

And rest assured, I welcome constructive criticism when it comes to aberrations, fringing, moire, etc — sometimes I miss it when in a hurry. Good to have a trusted critic on call here. And nowadays, sometimes I'm not quite as picky as before — bad quality, I know! But still I like to hear the "catches." And since I discussed this issue at length above, the next time you catch something, I'll likely just reply with a simple "Thanks." Instead of again burdening you with a long, tedious, drawn-out, verbose, mind-numbing dissertation on all the specific historic details around the unfolding backstory of the photo. (Ah... I see you smiling here! so it WAS a mind-numbing dissertation) :giggle: No worry.... all's good here! Thanks.

--------------
P.S. — (Just in case) Hopefully Jeff’s comment above didn’t prompt you to enter your post. Jeff’s comment was regarding my OP when I’m saying that I likely won’t be posting many bird shots (because of limited opportunity); and there are hundreds already posted here. Jeff, referred to my comment that I can’t top any bird shots that already exist here, which is true, so why would pursue the challenging BIF shots when other genres are much easier for me. His comment was about what I said. It had nothing to do with you or your post.

Jeff is a friend and we chat on phone regularly. We’re even allowed to jokingly insult each other since we secretly know we’re kidding and doing it only for humor effect.

No it's all good, your response was taken as intended, with humour. Especially the comment about why the wildlife has fled :)
Overall, regarding posting etc, I wish more people would get involved here, it's nicer than the heavily biased posts on the Facebook pages. Also, you should post more wildlife if you can, it's not a competition, I like seeing species from different parts of the world, a lot of our native birds are quite drab.

Back