Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Went out with me old mate and sadly he missed getting these but I happened to be in the right spot to get the shots of her.
And these shots are all of the same bird.
In NSW 24-07-2022 (270).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 379.1 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 250
In NSW 24-07-2022 (272).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 379.1 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 250
In NSW 24-07-2022 (274).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 379.1 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 250
In NSW 24-07-2022 (275).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 379.1 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 250

Excellent shots.

I have seen one confused bird in mating plumage recently, but the rest seem to be waiting for it to warm up a bit. They do look really pretty decked out in their bright feathers.

I may be confusing the splendid and superb fairy wrens though - my ornithology is vastly inferior to my orthography :)

Think this could be a Superb Fairy-wren juvenile male. The female doesn't normally have a blue tail. Nice photos though.

Excellent Ralph. Lovely little birds

Excellent shots.

I have seen one confused bird in mating plumage recently, but the rest seem to be waiting for it to warm up a bit. They do look really pretty decked out in their bright feathers.

I may be confusing the splendid and superb fairy wrens though - my ornithology is vastly inferior to my orthography :)
The male Splendid is the one that is all blue and not too hard to see and the Superb is has on the head, chest and back.
But I will admit to not knowing them that well either as I was looking in my book to get that part of it.

Think this could be a Superb Fairy-wren juvenile male. The female doesn't normally have a blue tail. Nice photos though.
I had a look in my book and it shows the female with a tail colour as shown in the shot I took .
And I posted it on my facebook page and my mate who loves these coloured Wrens never corrected it when he seen them. And he actually does know quite a lot about them. Though I am not saying you are wrong all I am saying is going by my information this is correct but I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again and that is not a lie.

Excellent Ralph. Lovely little birds
In our area we have quite a good number of Wrens here, some are far less colourful and far harder to find as well.
the Splendid, Superb, Purple-backed and the White-winged ones are the easier ones to find though at times you have to stay quite and let them come out. Thank you for your comments.

New in Marketplace

Back