Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
We don't have an "off-topic" section on this forum, so the Open Talk section will have to do.
I was gifted an old film camera last fall and I don't know what to do with it. I see film making a small come-back, but mostly amongst hipsters. So my question to the community is this: Are there any lessons to be learned from shooting film that can translate to the digital era? Is it worth my time to clean up this old camera and buy some film?

Hmmm. Interesting question. I actually don't think there are any valuable lessons to be learned really. For sure being restricted to 24 or 36 shots teaches you to be extra vigilant with settings and composition etc, but those restrictions are gone now. Digital is so advanced now that it's almost a totally different skill.
I will say that film images do have a certain charm for some subjects though.

These are the cameras my neighbor gave me:
20220104_111321.jpg
  • SM-G975U
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 640

Hmmm. Interesting question. I actually don't think there are any valuable lessons to be learned really. For sure being restricted to 24 or 36 shots teaches you to be extra vigilant with settings and composition etc, but those restrictions are gone now. Digital is so advanced now that it's almost a totally different skill.
I will say that film images do have a certain charm for some subjects though.
I was thinking the same. They may end up simply being decoration at this point.

The Maxxum 9 was a very very good camera indeed. I loved my old Minolta SLRs. What lens is on that? It will work with Sony cams with the old mount.
Not sure about the Canon, looks like an Olympus Pen copy.

The Maxxum 9 was a very very good camera indeed. I loved my old Minolta SLRs. What lens is on that? It will work with Sony cams with the old mount.
Not sure about the Canon, looks like an Olympus Pen copy.
The Maxxum has a 28-105 lens attached but as I was rummaging through the bag my neighbor gave me, I struck gold: 50mm 1.4 prime!
I might have to give this a try after all...

The Maxxum has a 28-105 lens attached but as I was rummaging through the bag my neighbor gave me, I struck gold: 50mm 1.4 prime!
I might have to give this a try after all...

The 50mm Prime is a beauty of a lens. I had one back in the day. Super sharp and beautiful contrast.

The 50mm Prime is a beauty of a lens. I had one back in the day. Super sharp and beautiful contrast.
Is it worth it to buy a $30 adapter to try to use that on my a6400?

I have a Minolta 7000 xi myself that I bought new. I have no memory of having used this camera because my Son borrowed it to take it to college with him and I just got it back last year. It too has two lenses and an electronic flash. The thought of throwing it out is not pleasant. I hope that some day someone will make me an offer on the whole package. I know.....dream on!

My problem with film was that I could not review the shot immediately after taking it, so ‘I couldn’t adjust my settings and try again. Moreover, when I got the shots developed, I couldn’t remember the settings I’d used - basically, the feedback loop took too long.

However, that is a camera with a fine reputation. Maybe try running some unusual film through it for fun?

The Canon Pellix is the forerunner of the semi-transparent mirror used in the Sony SLT cameras.
The FD lenses are good lenses to use on the Sony A7 cameras.

Spend the money on the adapters instead of film. :p

All valuable feedback, thanks everyone!

Is it worth it to buy a $30 adapter to try to use that on my a6400?
I think if you've got nothing else in that range, yes, bearing in mind the crop factor makes it 65mm ish. Very bright lens though, nothing to lose.

I've still got my Canon A1. I need to take it in and get the shutter curtains replaced. I would like to use it for B&W shots. I also have an old Brownie camera that would be fun to play with.

The Maxxum 9 was one if the best film SLR cameras ever made regardless of manufacture.
There is plenty to be learned from from film photography, you just aren't going to pick it up by putting a roll or two through an old camera. If you have no interest in investing the time to learn the intricacies of film both of those cameras are gems and worth being passed on to someone who will.

The Maxxum 9 was one if the best film SLR cameras ever made regardless of manufacture.
There is plenty to be learned from from film photography, you just aren't going to pick it up by putting a roll or two through an old camera. If you have no interest in investing the time to learn the intricacies of film both of those cameras are gems and worth being passed on to someone who will.
That is fair enough. I don't think I will be able to devote the time to film photography as you mentioned.

Back