Flash or no flash

Tinopener

Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Hi all
A question to all you macro photographers as a newbie I was wondering is it essential to use a flash and diffuser I have tried and the photos looked no different .. Maybe in the winter months when the light isn't so good look forward to any advice ... Thank you Gary

I use two different types of flashes in conjunction with my macro set ups. One is a ring flash which attaches to the front of the lens and the other is twin diffused TTL units adjustable and driven by a trigger unit on the camera. They can either be set up off camera or attached to the front of the lens. It’s s a very effective set up and allows you to use high f stops and control where the shadows are.

A flash is not essential, but useful I find. I use one for all of my macro shots, but my approach is a bit different to the norm. I certainly don't use a diffuser. I have a small, low powered godox, which I found gives a really even, gentle light, whereas big, powerful flashes often need diffusing because they are too bright. I have never felt the need, or even wanted to go for a full, twin set up, as I don't do any studio type macro photography, mine is all the Moths I trap and small stuff in the garden or when I'm out and about, so it's not practical to use much else. It's taken a while to get a good balance of exposure, but now I have it's working very well (see my last Moth post)

Back