Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Focus Challenge

Jskufca

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
I struggled to get my A6400 to focus on this napping bat in my umbrella. I had to hold the edge of the umbrella with my left hand and snap with my right hand over my head, so manual focus wasn’t going to be an option. After several failed attempts, I finally got spot focus to work and held the camera putting the spot in the right place. I guess there wasn’t enough contrast between the bat and the umbrella frame for autofocus to work. One of few times I’ve had focusing problems with this camera.

Attachments

• 0CD68CA1-3FD5-4237-A164-7F606EB1F2E1.jpeg
    0CD68CA1-3FD5-4237-A164-7F606EB1F2E1.jpeg
    772 KB · Views: 64
I also struggle with focus on my A6500. I have found using peaking/ DMF focus mode helps a great deal. I'm not sure about the A6400, but can you press the touch screen to the area you want to focus on? That has also helped me with some of my focus issues. A tripod also helps. For the longest time, I thought it was just me, but the more I read and hear from people, the focus can be challenging on these camera. Good luck!

That would have worked normally but in this case I was one handed as I had to hold the umbrella from swaying in the wind. Only thing I could do was push shutter button!

That would have worked normally but in this case I was one handed as I had to hold the umbrella from swaying in the wind. Only thing I could do was push shutter button!
Peaking/ DMF focus mode works with the shutter button.

Peaking/ DMF focus mode works with the shutter button.
Playing around with it now, DMF auto focus' then allows you to fine tune with the focus ring. This is a nice touch, but I would have needed my other hand to adjust the focus ring, so wouldn't have been an option at the time.

What do the highlighted objects mean when in this mode? (where the bright white outlines within the focus area)

The highlighted pieces are the parts in focus. I rarely have to also adjust the manual focus ring if I'm getting good peaking on the subject. It's worth a try (with one hand). :). I found yellow is the best peaking color for me. I used red for years but found it blends in too much, so I just recently switched it to yellow.

The highlighted pieces are the parts in focus. I rarely have to also adjust the manual focus ring if I'm getting good peaking on the subject. It's worth a try (with one hand). :). I found yellow is the best peaking color for me. I used red for years but found it blends in too much, so I just recently switched it to yellow.
Very helpful. Figured out where to change the color, yellow is better. I'll play around in this mode to get better feel.

New in Marketplace

Back