Unframed Dave

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Dave
We own a 6 bed villa in La Marina urbanisation, near Alicante.

How about a forum get together over there? I'm not looking to rent the villa, I would only want to recover the costs of folks using it. So any folks attending would pay a share of the utilities, cleaning and pool maintenance cost. Use of the villa itself would be free. If we had say 12 people attending, we'd be looking at a maximum of 50 euros per person. We would also need to sort some car hire out.

I don't consider myself a guide and am certainly not able to coach photographically, but the wife and I could easily get us to five nature reserves with travelling time running from 5 minutes to about 40. Alicante itself is a wonderful place for photographers as are Altea, Villajoyosa, and El Castell de Guadalest, all doable as day trips. So there's plenty to go at.

We are about 40 minutes from Alicante airport and have good connections with a car hire firm over there that meet you at the airport.

On the urbanisation itself, there are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. If folks want something a bit more upmarket, a few minutes drive will get you there. At the villa itself, there are two kitchens for those that want to cook and I can russle up a damn good paella outdoors of an evening.

I'd suggest Apr to Jun or Sept are ideal months and the way our calendar is, we're probably looking at 2025.

If there is any interest in this, please indicate below and I'll pad out the info a bit more. Also any preferences regarding potential dates.

How about a forum get together over there? I'm not looking to rent the villa, I would only want to recover the costs of folks using it. So any folks attending would pay a share of the utilities, cleaning and pool maintenance cost. Use of the villa itself would be free. If we had say 12 people attending, we'd be looking at a maximum of 50 euros per person. We would also need to sort some car hire out.

I don't consider myself a guide and am certainly not able to coach photographically, but the wife and I could easily get us to five nature reserves with travelling time running from 5 minutes to about 40. Alicante itself is a wonderful place for photographers as are Altea, Villajoyosa, and El Castell de Guadalest, all doable as day trips. So there's plenty to go at.

We are about 40 minutes from Alicante airport and have good connections with a car hire firm over there that meet you at the airport.

On the urbanisation itself, there are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. If folks want something a bit more upmarket, a few minutes drive will get you there. At the villa itself, there are two kitchens for those that want to cook and I can russle up a damn good paella outdoors of an evening.

I'd suggest Apr to Jun or Sept are ideal months and the way our calendar is, we're probably looking at 2025.

If there is any interest in this, please indicate below and I'll pad out the info a bit more. Also any preferences regarding potential dates.
Super selfless Idea Dave and sort what this forum needs several of us here are trying to get more interaction and chat going between all members, good on you. I could be tempted but of course their are others on here that might want a chance and would be a better fit for you. (y) (y) (y) (y)

Great offer but a bit far to come from Tasmania. Happy to meet up should you travel down under!

Super selfless Idea Dave and sort what this forum needs several of us here are trying to get more interaction and chat going between all members, good on you. I could be tempted but of course their are others on here that might want a chance and would be a better fit for you. (y) (y) (y) (y)
If it goes ahead, first come, first served.

Only way with something like this.

I'll echo what Gary said: Good on ya Dave!
Being on the other side of the pond, I probably won't make it, but if we had regional meets like this, I could see myself free to join a meetup in Caribbean/USA/Canada in a year or two when the wife can manage the little one on her own.

I'll echo what Gary said: Good on ya Dave!
Being on the other side of the pond, I probably won't make it, but if we had regional meets like this, I could see myself free to join a meetup in Caribbean/USA/Canada in a year or two when the wife can manage the little one on her own.
As Dave said be careful what you wish for I can see that side of the pond being back on the travel plans next year, after several European trips we have done in the last 2 years

As Dave said be careful what you wish for I can see that side of the pond being back on the travel plans next year, after several European trips we have done in the last 2 years
I'd love to have a meet in one of the norther states, or Canada, around Autumn. I believe the term is "leaf peeping" when the foliage changes color and the temperature is generally agreeable to many.

Of course, that's a far cry from Dave's suggestion of a spring-time trip to Spain!

Amazing offer Dave. I'm quite sure Sue and I would be in (I couldn't leave her behind, although.... :) )

What a lovely gesture! If it's next year I would be very interested in making my way there with Liz. 🌞

As I indicated Dave I would be up for again would be with the boss but did not want to assume anything, timing would be good to know as we have a bit penciled in going forward. thanks Dave (y)

I haven't forgotten about this, just had a few urgent issues to deal with.

How long do you all think would work? I'm thinking 5 - 7.

Sounds about right to me Dave.

I haven't forgotten about this, just had a few urgent issues to deal with.

How long do you all think would work? I'm thinking 5 - 7.
Its in your hands Dave what ever fits your plans, thanks you

Okeydoke, initial thoughts are, we'll call it a week. That will allow for different flights to get in and give everyone 5 whole days in the middle. Those that arrive early or stay late, can drink G and T's by the pool, or something.

If no one expresses any prior commitments, I'll pick dates that best suit flights from Stansted, which is my preference for Alicante from the UK.

Just for clarification, this is open for partners as well as forum members.

I do need some way of contacting those interested as I don't like to post my whereabouts on a public forum. Two burglaries in a lifetime is sufficient. I can use WhatsApp or I guess PMs on here. I'd like to share some snaps of the accommodation, not sure how that would work on PMs?

At some point, a deposit will be required, in the main to allow me to book hire cars. It's looking like we'll need two at the moment.

Feel free to ping me a mobile number if you're happy to use WhatsApp.

Two cars will be preferable to a people carrier or minibus. If we venture into somewhere like Alicante, parking is quite snug and often underground. At least one other confident driver will be needed.

Some temptation coming.....

My Paella

A couple of snaps of the villa....

1549285715041.jpg
1549285730339.jpg
IMG_1502.JPG
  • Canon PowerShot G5 X
  • 8.8 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 125

There are 3 bedrooms upstairs, and 3 in the "underbuild".

Available:

Upstairs 1 twin, 1 double, they both share a bathroom.

Underbuild 1 ensuite double, 1 twin and 1 double, both share a bathroom.

Upstairs rooms have more natural light and are a little bigger. Underbuild rooms are below floor level, so have less natural light.

I will allocate rooms on a first come, first choice basis.

Upstairs double as an example

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-13 at 08.32.57.jpeg

Underbuild twin as an example

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-13 at 08.32.56 (3).jpeg

Upstairs living area

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-13 at 08.32.56 (2).jpeg

Dates have been communicated to those that have expressed an interest so far. There is still availability, but sufficient interest to say that this will definitely go ahead now.

Looks beautiful Dave.

Bad timing for me :)

We had a day in Alicante in May during a cruise. Would have been fun to connect!

Just a reminder that this is going ahead. If anyone is interested and would like more information, please get in touch. Come the new year, I will need to book a car / cars.

Just a reminder and some tempting shots.....

This is Parc el fondo which is about 25 minutes drive away.

20231212_154946.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 2.2 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/976 sec
  • ISO 50
20231212_144153.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 2.2 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/1292 sec
  • ISO 50
20231212_142630.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 2.2 mm
  • ƒ/2.2
  • 1/4416 sec
  • ISO 50

Those are the Sierra Nevada mountain in the background.

A few birds from yesterday...

DSC02250.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 8/10000 sec
  • ISO 4000

Male bluethroat

DSC02591.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 5/10000 sec
  • ISO 4000

Sardinian warbler

DSC02560.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 5/10000 sec
  • ISO 4000

Water rail

I'm not much of a lister, but according to my ninja turtle notebook, this is what we saw yesterday. There were bag loads of dragonflies and butterflies as well.

20231213_125912.jpg
  • SM-G981B
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 400

If you're sitting on the fence, get a flight booked. You know you want to. This is open to any forum members.

Back