Spiderx1

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Randy Siers
Ok guys I just picked up a a6500 as a B camera for in the car etc. I put my 200-600 on just for giggles, but it will not allow a focal length less than 300! So I put it to 200 and it automatically moves to 300mm. I suspect it has to do with aps c vs Full Frame. Do I need to set something in the camera. Normally I shoot A1.

Ok guys I just picked up a a6500 as a B camera for in the car etc. I put my 200-600 on just for giggles, but it will not allow a focal length less than 300! So I put it to 200 and it automatically moves to 300mm. I suspect it has to do with aps c vs Full Frame. Do I need to set something in the camera. Normally I shoot A1.
Hi Randy this is worth a watch to answer your question

Thanks for the video link, at least now I know I don’t have ghost! I had never noticed that before. I just happened to be taking some moon photos testing the Benro Polaris and it kept moving. It will do this on and of the camera and is most pronounced above 30 deg tilt. Must be the slides and weight of the lens inside on the zoom rails. Thank you!

Is it moving to the 300mm mark or is it reporting that. The math for the crop would support the 200mm mark as being 300mm. I just ask I’m not familiar at all with the Sony APS-C cameras and if the software is intelligent enough to to do what I’m talking about.

Is it moving to the 300mm mark or is it reporting that. The math for the crop would support the 200mm mark as being 300mm. I just ask I’m not familiar at all with the Sony APS-C cameras and if the software is intelligent enough to to do what I’m talking about.
I know nothing about their APS-C bodies, either, but when I read the original post I assumed the same. Since the FF Equivalent focal length is 300, the camera recognizes that and is setting the IBIS appropriately. I don't think there's anything wrong, I just think the camera is too damn smart for us!

Has the OP you done any internet searches? Someone else has to have asked at some point.

I watched a YouTube video just yesterday on wildlife lenses, and perhaps this point has some bearing; If the subject is too close, the 200-600 will breathe, and not focus correctly. I will endeavour to post the link here......

It is Tony and Chelsea Northrup. $600-$2000 10 Wildlife Photography Lenses Reviewed.

If you don't want to watch it all......the Sony 200-600 comes 2nd, and is at time stamp 9:05

They say to use extension tubes to get around this.

I'm not sure if this might be the same, but might be worth watching.

No it physically moves to 300. I had never noticed it before I put it on the a6500, Normally on A-1. However I have discovered that even if I take off the lens it moves if tilted up to a high angle. Down is no problem. I think it is just the weight of the lens inside moving on the very smooth rails. So if shooting the 200-600 at 200mm at high angles (up) you may need to pay attention.

So this is nothing electronic, but the zoom actually moving? I have seen complaints about no zoom lock on this lens, especially considering the short smooth throw.

Last edited:

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back