Got My FAA UAS Part 107 Certificate

Nice!

It's probably like all those electrician levels here, edition 17, 18 etc ..

Bob, congratulations. What does the certificate allow you to do that you couldn’t before?

Just for clarity in the USA, a part 107 is an FAA code designation for a commercial drone pilot, which requires passing a written test. It means that I can now fly and film for commercial purposes legally. Without the remote pilot certificate one can only fly recreationally which means one can only fly for fun and not publish your video for any money making venue. For example if you shoot videos for your youtube channel, or shoot one for a wedding, realtor, construction company or news outlet, etc you need a part 107, on the other hand a recreation flyer can only publish for themselves.

Last edited:
Just for clarity in the USA, a part 107 is an FAA code designation for a commercial drone pilot, which requires passing a written test. It means that I can now fly and film for commercial purposes legally. Without the remote pilot certificate one can only fly recreationally which means one can only fly for fun and not publish your video for any money making venue. For example if you shoot videos for your youtube channel, or shoot one for a wedding, realtor, construction company or news outlet, etc you need a part 107, on the other hand a recreation flyer can only publish for themselves.
Thanks for the clarification. Do you also need to do a practical exam for the certification?

No the main thing the FAA wants you to show is that you know aviation regulations in regards to drones , weather factors, airport operations, rules about air space and safe operation, especially around people. There are a number of people not happy about the need to take the test for the pilot certificate and or the commercial designation for videos produced but there were some many just flying with poor judgement that they felt the need to intercede. Also because of those reckless flyers there are now many more places one cannot fly at all,

EVERYONE needs a 'license' of one sort or another to fly a drone, whether it's recreational or commercial.

Recreational flyers have to take the Recreational UAS Safety Test. And, a recreational drone pilot must register their drone if it weighs more than 250 grams. Recreational pilots are limited to 400' altitude and need special permission to fly in certain areas.

It has zero to do with reckless pilots and everything to do with FAA regulations and control of the airspace. It's what they do. It's income.

EVERYONE needs a 'license' of one sort or another to fly a drone, whether it's recreational or commercial.

Recreational flyers have to take the Recreational UAS Safety Test. And, a recreational drone pilot must register their drone if it weighs more than 250 grams. Recreational pilots are limited to 400' altitude and need special permission to fly in certain areas.

It has zero to do with reckless pilots and everything to do with FAA regulations and control of the airspace. It's what they do. It's income.
Very similar here Tim the few idiots spoilt it for the many, also weight limit here in the UK

not exactly all rec pilots need to do is take the free very limited and basic safety Trust pilot test, all drone flying is limited to 400 feet AGL without waivers. We will have to disagree here on the revenue stream it only cost $5 to register all of your rec drones for 2 years, only Part 107 pilots need to pay to register each drone, the Part 107 test cost $175 and never expires as along as you retrain on their web site every two years for free. The reckless flyers are the ones who have brought on more restrictions and regulations, they have killed the ability to fly in some many areas that have nothing to do with gathering money for anybody and because of them we will now have RID. They have crashed into places and things leaving behind their trash, flown over stadiums of people, stopped fire fighting helicopters and flow through airports, one even just crashed into a commercial airliner, with registration that flyer can be traced back with the trash recovery. With the part 107 regulation for commercial remote pilots thyey can pull your ability to fly for commercial purposes if one violates the rules. When it comes to air space that is the FAAs job to set regulations so every one is on the same page. I do not see it as just income.

not exactly all rec pilots need to do is take the free very limited and basic safety Trust pilot test, all drone flying is limited to 400 feet AGL without waivers. We will have to disagree here on the revenue stream it only cost $5 to register all of your rec drones for 2 years, only Part 107 pilots need to pay to register each drone, the Part 107 test cost $175 and never expires as along as you retrain on their web site every two years for free. The reckless flyers are the ones who have brought on more restrictions and regulations, they have killed the ability to fly in some many areas that have nothing to do with gathering money for anybody and because of them we will now have RID. They have crashed into places and things leaving behind their trash, flown over stadiums of people, stopped fire fighting helicopters and flow through airports, one even just crashed into a commercial airliner, with registration that flyer can be traced back with the trash recovery. With the part 107 regulation for commercial remote pilots thyey can pull your ability to fly for commercial purposes if one violates the rules. When it comes to air space that is the FAAs job to set regulations so every one is on the same page. I do not see it as just income.
They all have to take a test of some sort and get a license, certificate, or whatever you want to call it. The commercial is more difficult, but everyone needs something.

This is all about control. They're far more concerned with that than they are reckless drone pilots. More restrictions are brought on because they're a bureaucratic department and they can.

Let me ask you a question: What law has ever stopped lawbreakers from breaking the law? Answer: None. Zero, zip, nada. Does anyone actually believe that someone with the propensity to fly a drone into an airliner is going to be affected by a drone licensing law? It's illegal to drink and drive, murder someone, rob a store, and a thousand other things, all of which we have laws against. Do they help?

So what does the law accomplish? Easy. They now know who all of the law-abiding drone-owning citizens are.

All in the name of 'safety'.

Wow, so because people drive drunk, murder people and rob regardless of the laws that are on the boooks, let's not have any laws regarding those things, even though they might prevent most from not violating them. To be clear you are saying that all laws and regulations are just there for government control of law-abiding citizens. For me it is a small price to pay to try and make a dent in stopping reckless behavior effecting places, property and people. I have nothing else to say on this, other than at my ripe old age I am happy that i got my certificate, enjoy the day.

Back