Following
Name
Joe
Country
United States
City/State
Phoenix, AZ
Greetings, Alpha Shooters!

This is technically not my first post to these fine boards, but I would be remiss if I didn't provide this obligatory introduction.

My name is Joe (or more accurately, Joseph but i really prefer Joe). I was born yesterday, survived the trauma of childhood and managed to grow up, attended a large university to learn many things and since then have worked for several companies doing stuff, which has led me to where I am now - working for a company doing stuff. In the time I'm not doing stuff, I like to do other things and I may even share some of those other things here for everyone to see. I hope to keep doing these and maybe even other things for a long time .... :)

I currently do stuff and other things from my home in Phoenix, Arizona (USA). That’s in the desert where it often gets hot, usually in the summer which lasts most of the year. It’s not as fun to do stuff or other things when it’s too hot, but you get used to it. Winters are pretty nice, though. It doesn’t (usually) snow and we have palm trees. So there’s that.

I'm excited to join Alpha Shooters, especially as I have recently joined team Sony. My photographic journey started during the dark-ages of film with Minolta (X-700), followed by a long period with Nikon (N80, F100, D200, D300, D800), then Fujifilm (X-T2, X-H1, X100F), and finally a brief period with Canon (R6) before buying a Sony (A7R5) early this year.

My priorities for photography have changed over the years, and I am now more intentional and appreciative of the image creation process as much as the images themselves. I no longer want (or need) the fastest (and heaviest, most expensive) zoom holy trinity, or uber-fast primes. I do value image quality, but not at the expense of character, color, rendition, and other subjective considerations.

Most of my current and future kit will likely be made up of manual focus primes (primarily Voigtlander currently), with select AF primes to fill those needs of interest or casual life events where photography is secondary. I may dabble in a zoom here and there, but they will need to fill a specific purpose or use case.

In terms of Alpha Shooters, I found my way here after being a member of the RF Shooters forum where I primarily lurked and passively consumed posts from others. I tend to be a listener, reader, and absorber from the experience of others, but do drop comments from time to time. I fully expect to be "more active" here but I'm not anticipating any kind of "top poster" award now or in the future. ;)

So, that's it. That's me and why I'm here. Thanks for having me, and I look forward to learning a lot.

joe

(y)

Welcome Joe. I might have AZ questions for you later in the year as I'm going to a wedding in Sedona and probably renting a 70-200 2.8 to take with me.

Welcome Joe. I might have AZ questions for you later in the year as I'm going to a wedding in Sedona and probably renting a 70-200 2.8 to take with me.
Happy to help with any questions you might have!

Last edited:
Hi there, I had the pleasure of visiting PA in 2016, for a week, loved it there, few pictures I took with my A7 mk1 and 55.1.8 sadly no longer originals as wasn’t keeping anything back then.

Mid 40’s while I was there 😅

You might reckognise some of the locations 😬

IMG_1934.jpeg
IMG_1933.jpeg
IMG_1932.jpeg
IMG_1931.jpeg
IMG_1935.jpeg
IMG_1936.jpeg
IMG_1938.jpeg

Hi there, I had the pleasure of visiting PA in 2016, for a week, loved it there, few pictures I took with my A7 mk1 and 55.1.8 sadly no longer originals as wasn’t keeping anything back then.

Mid 40’s while I was there 😅

You might reckognise some of the locations 😬
Nice! I'm familiar with all of these locations, some more than others (Chase Field, Talking Stick, Echo Trail).

I hope you get a chance to visit the Valley again as it's changed and grown a lot since 2016 like virtually everywhere. Thanks for the welcome!

Walked camelback mountain trail, to the top, fantastic view, I think I broke a finger falling over one of the steep sections, got spooked by a lizard, camera in one hand rolled as I hit the floor and hyper extended my finger!

Would love to revisit one day.

Welcome aboard the Sony train Joe and thanks for taking the time out to introduce yourself. I'm glad to hear that you found us through the RF Shooters Forum too :) The forums are very similar so hopefully you'll feel at home here too. Still, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

New in Marketplace

Back