Greetings from the North Atlantic!

Peter

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Peter Fleetwood
Hi. My name is Peter and, although I am writing this in Liverpool, UK (home on holiday), I live and work on the Faroe Islands in the North Atlantic. Many of you will know it is a wild, remote and stunningly beautiful place, 18 islands clustered together between Iceland, Norway and the Shetlands. I have an a7iii and a new a9ii, but needed something to capture the fascinating bird life on the Faroes and so took the plunge and bought a 200-600mm G lens, which I’ve not yet used.
I look forward to exploring this forum and I know I’ll be asking advice from time to time. Perhaps I should ask my first question: can anyone enlighten me in simple terms on the use of custom buttons? I think I get it, but there may be useful hints you experts all have under your belt.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to our exchanges.
P

Welcome!
Custom buttons are totally up to you if you want to use them or not. Here's one example for me, I don't have many lenses with the MF/AF switch so I set one of my custom buttons to switch between MF/AF. Its about giving you the freedom to reassign a feature for your own ergonomic tastes.

Welcome Peter and thank you very much for joining up here and saying hello :)

The Faroe Islands have been on my list for a little while now, but with a young growing family I don't think we will be making it there anytime soon unfortunately.

The 200-600 is certainly the right lens for the job and most likely Sony's most popular telephoto lens.

Both the a7III and a9II have plenty of options for customising the buttons, too many really to explain here. I'd recommend this guide by Mark Smith since he covers this topic in detail for the a9, it's still relevant for the a7III and a9II.

If you have any further gear questions or questions about this forum please don't hesitate to ask.

Peter,

I am a newbie like you! I'm excited just thinking about where you live and look forward to seeing some of your photographs, especially with that new telephoto lens you got!

Rob

Back