Has anyone on this forum had actual experience using the Sony 70-350 mm APS-C OSS Lens on a Sony APS-C camera?

lev29

Followers
Following
I ask because I have already tried to use an a7ii in combination with the Sony FE 24-105 mm OSS lens handheld and found that I couldn’t take too many photos at one time because of the combined weight. Thus, I already know that if I want to take telephoto images with FE equipment, it would only be by means of employing a monopod or tripod as well. I already own both FE and APS-C cameras and can take with ease several handheld shots using my 18-135 mm APS-C OSS lens on either of my APS-C cameras.

If your talking about the Sony 70-350mm for the APS-C, yes. When I was shooting APS-C it was my favorite lens.

J.Duffy,

Thank you! I stand corrected. I did mean this 70-350 mm lens, though initially I did title this thread as, "... Sony 75-300mm ..."

As to when you were shooting with an APS-C camera, what other lenses were you employing? Although you write it was your "favorite lens," was it your "walkaround" lens? If not, which one was?

Last, if I may ask, was your decision to switch to Full Frame significantly influenced by a greater selection of FF (not exclusively FE,) or quality of such lenses, whether primary or zoom?

I appreciate your taking the time to further respond.

lev29 😎

I often use my 100-400 G master on my A6400 crop sensor. It's an excellent combination.

So I used my 70-350 basically as my walk around lens and I had a Raynox 150 and 250 macro attachment for macro. I also at the time had a Sigma 16mm, Sigma 56mm and the Sony 18-135. I can't really answer why I upgraded to full frame....I'm purely a hobbyist. I think it was a case of FOMO (FEAR OF MISSING OUT). I watched a lot of YouTube videos and I always want the next best thing. I don't regret upgrading, I just have to choose my lenses more carefully because of price. I was uneducated in photography and I still am, but at the time a full frame camera and a camera with IBIS would improve my photography. I love my a7riii, but I still want the A1 or the new a7iv. The A1 will never be a possibility....

Thanks for your answers, J.Duffy. I find it rather interesting that you preferred the 70-350 mm over your 18-135 mm. Did your former fave have any operational disadvantages when compared with any of your other lenses at the time (aside from obvious differences with respect to their respective focal length)?

As a friendly aside, it sounds to me like your temporary FOMO was actually just another case of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). 😜 It happens.

lev29 :cool:

Last edited:
I actually upgraded pretty soon after I acquired the 18-135. I honestly didn't use it that much. I just really loved my 70-350. I even used it on my full frame in Super 35 mode. That lens was my first purchase and the first non kit lens and my mind was blown! I definitely have G.A.S.... The Sigma 56mm was super sharp, which it's known to be. I just liked using the 70-350 for birds or animals at the park and being able to clip on and off my Raynox for macro....

I actually upgraded pretty soon after I acquired the 18-135. I honestly didn't use it that much. I just really loved my 70-350. I even used it on my full frame in Super 35 mode. That lens was my first purchase and the first non kit lens and my mind was blown! I definitely have G.A.S.... The Sigma 56mm was super sharp, which it's known to be. I just liked using the 70-350 for birds or animals at the park and being able to clip on and off my Raynox for macro....
Thank you for your candor, J.Duffy.

So, has anyone else had any experience using this 70-350 mm lens?

Slug wrote: I often use my 100-400 G master on my A6400 crop sensor. It's an excellent combination.

As for your suggestion, Slug, yes, I am open to the idea of employing a Full Frame lens* on my a6000 cameras (one conventional & the other converted to Full Spectrum); however, it appears that you overlooked part of my first post, in which I wrote, "... handheld and found that I couldn’t take too many photos at one time because of the combined weight."

So far, here's my list of possible candidates, beyond my walkaround Sony 18-135 mm lens, with their corresponding weights:

APS-C:
70-350 625g

* FE:
70-300 854g
100-400 1395g

So, as one can see, the 100-400 mm lens with a Sony a6400 camera may be "... an excellent combination ..." for you, it's not for me if I want to use it handheld. This is why I posted my question with respect to the [APS-C] Sony 70-350mm lens.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
As for your suggestion, Slug, yes, I am open to the idea of employing a Full Frame lens* on my a6000 cameras (one conventional & the other converted to Full Spectrum); however, it appears that you overlooked part of my first post, in which I wrote, "... handheld and found that I couldn’t take too many photos at one time because of the combined weight."

So far, here's my list of possible candidates, beyond my walkaround Sony 18-135 mm lens, with their corresponding weights:

APS-C:
70-350 625g

* FE:
70-300 854g
100-400 1395g

So, as one can see, the 100-400 mm lens with a Sony a6400 camera may be "... an excellent combination ..." for you, it's not for me if I want to use it handheld. This is why I posted my question with respect to the [APS-C] Sony 70-350mm lens.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

It would appear that my contribution was not so welcome at all.
My comment came from my experience of doing all of my bird photography hand held while spending most of the day in the field. I'm 72 and certainly not built like a weight lifter and have no problem in using the A6400 with 100-400 G master to take as many shots as I require. Combined weight of camera and lens is 2 kg and tucked under my arm while walking is no great weight to carry or use.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks, Slug, as to your wish for me.

As for your "contribution" not being "so welcome at all," I disagree, as perhaps I hadn’t made myself sufficiently clear as to why I was posting my question in the first place. Butt if what I wrote offended you, I apologize. Sometimes, I too, read someone else’s post too quickly and do not always quite understand what the concern is over.

It could be that you’re stronger relative to others your age, as I know with my affliction I am weaker than others my age, or a combination of both.

But most importantly, I hope my previous post to you will not discourage you from participating in my posts, conversations, threads, etc. in the future.

I would just add that I used it on my A6600 and loved it. When I purchased the A7C i kept it and use it on the A7C.
It gives approx 10-11 megapixel and is very usable see images.
feale mallard.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
  • 350.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 5000
gull2a7c.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 400
gulla7c.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 800

Here’s a couple I found in Lightroom. Taken with my a6100 and the 70-350mm lens. Don't judge me on my settings, I didn’t know what I was doing, lol.

20200718-_DSC2667.JPG
  • ILCE-6100
  • 350.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1000

20210210-IMG_0203.JPG
  • ILCE-6100
  • 350.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 500

Last edited:
Here’s a couple I found in Lightroom. Taken with my a6100 and the 70-350mm lens. Do judge me on my settings, I didn’t know what I was doing, lol.

View attachment 14041

View attachment 14042
Thanks for contributing these two photos, J.Duffy. Understand that it's not you I'd be judging; rather, it is each photo's IQ in relation to the metadata, in particular, the focal length you employed. Unfortunately, no metadata is provided for either photo. If you are willing to share the metadata for these photos, the solution is to go way up to the righthand corner to the icon showing that photo of you, click on it, then click on Preferences and scroll to its very bottom where there is an option to provide metadata.

It’s checked on my end and I can see the metadata displayed….

The dragonfly was taken with

• ILCE-6100
  • 350.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 1000
The mockingbird was taken with

• ILCE-6100
  • 350.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 500

It’s checked on my end and I can see the metadata displayed….

The dragonfly was taken with

• ILCE-6100

• 350.0 mm

• ƒ/6.3

• 1/500 sec

• ISO 1000
The mockingbird was taken with

• ILCE-6100

• 350.0 mm

• ƒ/6.3

• 1/800 sec

• ISO 500
Thank you. Hmm, that's odd. When I just checked a minute ago on both my up-to-date MacBook Air M1 and up-to-date iPad Air (3rd-gen), the metadata was present! I know this Information wasn't present when I first reviewed your photos. Again, thank you for taking the time, nonetheless, for going out of your way to provide the metadata. I'm going to report this "phenomenon" to the Admin; perhaps this has happened before?

Back