Following
Name
James Mansell Read
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Derbyshire
Hello all,

Last week I bought a Fuji GFX 50s it was a bargain I ignored "if it looks to good to be true then it generally is", 24 hours later I realised that it was a scam, I did get my money back. Then I looked at the A7rii and compared the images from DPReview and ePhotozine of both cameras. I could see that there was not much difference and made an offer on eBay for an A7 which was accepted, and less money than the GFX!

Unlike the review on DPReview I found the controls very easy to use and positive in their action, I have got small hands though and was used to a Panasonic G2 in a gentle fashion.

The out of camera JPEG image quality is superb quite sharp at 100% and more than good enough for me.

I take pics of paths, woodland and K.Thorn a ballet dancer. I intend to slowly rebuild my library of textures and artefacts for use in montages.

Cheers - J

Welcome James and thanks again for joining up here and introducing yourself. Glad to hear that you got your money back for the GFX 50s. Yes once you get accustomed to the Sony controls they are pretty easy to use, you can also customise many things to your liking.

Hello Tim,

Your right about the A7r it is very flexible, there is an utter load of crap talked about lenses I'm using a 60 yr old M42 which is superb. The OOC images at 100% remind me of this.
WoodenCamera.jpg

I made it in the early 90's from modellers ply and model aeroplane wheels.
The A7 pics are not far from it, the lens on this is a 4 element Schneider.
What I do miss is the sloping DOF with the front and back tilt.
What I don't is the dodgy chemicals especially stuff like the toners.

The snake oil bollox is in every pastime, I make my own audio stuff and model railways, just as barmy.

Cheers - J

It looks like you did a great job on it! Any sample pics? I had a model glider for a short while, but my landings were never the smoothest so it didn't last for very long!

Hello Tim,

Shame about your glider, bloke over the road from us makes model aeroplanes, told me that the fastest speed achieved by a model plane is 500+ mph by a glider!

I've still got the negs but no way of scanning them. I was astonished at the film. I was advised to use Kodak Tri-X, the gritty performer but not in 4X5. The latitude of the negs is enormous with enlarging exposures ranging from 6 secs to 2 minutes on one neg, lots of dodgers and light cupped in hands.

Now I wouldn't give a thank you for it, waste of time, Photoshop is 100 times better and so much easier.

Cheers - J

Back