Hello from Kentucky!

dennisnky

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Dennis Luchtefeld
Ultra novice here, just been trying to learn how to take pictures that turn out better than my smartphone. No ambitions to be professional, but would like to be able to catch a few shots here and there at family gatherings, when traveling, and during any other memorable events--and that the pictures be nice enough that I could pick a few now and then to frame printed large (like 20" x 30" or something like that). I'm starting to do some more international traveling soon, so hoping to make good use of the camera with those trips. I have a 20 year old daughter planning a wedding and a 3 year old into everything, and I have over 50 first cousins if you include their spouses, so there are always places to visit and people to see. Hoping to learn all critical fundamentals so that I'm avoiding the most common errors in method.

As for equipment, so far I have the Sony A7IV along with the (all Sony) FE 20mm f/1.8 G, FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA, and the FE 85mm f/1.8. I haven't learned enough about filters yet.

For a next lens, I've been debating between the 35/f1.4GM, 135/f1.8GM, 70-200/f2.8GM, and the 200-600/f5.6-6.3. I want them all, but just a matter of in which order. Since I'm not doing anything professionally, I'm budgeting for 1 or 2 lens purchases per year, max. I took some pictures at a Concours car show this past weekend and just used the 55mm and seemed like I was constantly having to take a few steps back, which was annoying, so that makes me lean towards getting a 35mm, but I'm going to wait and see if I can just get more used to standing the right distance away. It may just be because I'm so accustomed to using my phone that my natural place to stand hasn't corrected yet.

I have watched maybe a dozen Mark Galen videos about lenses and menus, and at some point for no good reason (long dumb story) I factory reset my camera. So if anyone wants to give me their top 2 or 3 menu selections that they'd recommend, I'd love to hear it, so I don't have to watch hours and hours of videos again. I generally am not in a big rush, don't take hundreds of shots, and am in no competitions. I am an engineer though, so I can happily get paralyzed with details sometimes, so glad to read if someone has a wealth of high function tips to unload off the top of their head. And I'll start reading through everything on here as well.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum. I must say, you made some great choices for camera and lenses. Of course, they were the same as my choices so what else would I say.

ADVICE: Go back to Mark Galer's Patreon site and if you are not a member, join. It's only $10.00 a month. Download his CAMSET file and you'll be back in business in 10 minutes.

Welcome! it sounds like you're on the right track!

Downloading camera settings is all well and good and a quick way to get started. These things are pushed by content creators as marketing to woo paying members. However, there will come a time (such as you're currently experiencing) when you will want to change or restore a setting in the field and you won't know how. I would prefer to see a new user visit a site that walks you through the steps, even if it's so complete as to say 'this menu>this choice>this setting.". Yes there's a learning curve, but once you can you will always be able to. This remains true even if you change from one system to another. Every manufacturer has different menus and references, but they aren't so different that you can't find your way around the basics.

I came to Sony via an A7-IV and unexpectedly ended up with an A7R-III as a second body. I have need to set them up both the same. The A7-IV was pretty easy as I had become familiar with the new menu setup. Once I set up the IV as desired I moved on to the R-III, which has a different menu with different nomenclature for some settings. While I had no problem with most of it, some were frustrating in that things had moved and some names didn't make sense. I reverted to the manual (check out the blog link at the top of this page, then click cameras) and sorted it out. When an issue popped up and I had to make a change to a setting in both cameras, I had to stop and think, but was able to manage both in the field. A few days later I decided to try something else, and this time it was no problem, had them both done in seconds. Now that I know my way around both menus, there should never again be a situation that can't be addressed when needed.

My recommendation is different. Learn to do it yourself. It may be painful at first but the reward is long term and valuable.

Regarding lenses: I cannot recommend enough that you add some zooms to your kit.

"I took some pictures at a Concours car show this past weekend and just used the 55mm and seemed like I was constantly having to take a few steps back, which was annoying, so that makes me lean towards getting a 35mm"

I shoot a LOT of cars, it's what I do, both static and moving. I shot the recent Detroit Autorama with the fantastic Tamron 17-28 f/2.8. Wider angle is better because in many (not all) cases you can block out the endless flow of people, which is one of the biggest problems in these types of events. It's also nice to have a different focal length available to you with a twist. Do not get stuck on "all Sony". It's nice to be a fan, but there are tons of options out there that in many cases surpass Sony quality for a lot less money, this Tamron being one excellent example. Besides, Sony owns 12-13% of Tamron so you can still 'buy Sony".

Lastly, I wanted remark on the case you have for sale. Please consider buying quality cases. Yes, they cost a lot, more than seems reasonable. But you're carrying around thousands of dollars worth of gear, doesn't it deserve the best protection you can give it? I use a Peak Design 30L Everyday Backpack. It costs $300, but I don't have to worry about zippers tearing open to distribute my gear all over the ground, ripping straps or handles, or crappy padding that offers only minimum protection. Buy once, cry once.

Welcome to the forum.

EDIT: BTW, What part of Kentucky? Dad was from Glasgow, I used to spend time down there as a kid visiting Grandma. My son and I did a trip last year to the area, hit Mammoth Cave and another local cave, then went on a heritage tour and found some of houses and farms from Dad's childhood.

Last edited:
Downloading camera settings is all well and good and a quick way to get started. These things are pushed by content creators as marketing to woo paying members. However, there will come a time (such as you're currently experiencing) when you will want to change or restore a setting in the field and you won't know how. I would prefer to see a new user visit a site that walks you through the steps, even if it's so complete as to say 'this menu>this choice>this setting.". Yes there's a learning curve, but once you can you will always be able to. This remains true even if you change from one system to another. Every manufacturer has different menus and references, but they aren't so different that you can't find your way around the basics.

I came to Sony via an A7-IV and unexpectedly ended up with an A7R-III as a second body. I have need to set them up both the same. The A7-IV was pretty easy as I had become familiar with the new menu setup. Once I set up the IV as desired I moved on to the R-III, which has a different menu with different nomenclature for some settings. While I had no problem with most of it, some were frustrating in that things had moved and some names didn't make sense. I reverted to the manual (check out the blog link at the top of this page, then click cameras) and sorted it out. When an issue popped up and I had to make a change to a setting in both cameras, I had to stop and think, but was able to manage both in the field. A few days later I decided to try something else, and this time it was no problem, had them both done in seconds. Now that I know my way around both menus, there should never again be a situation that can't be addressed when needed.

My recommendation is different. Learn to do it yourself. It may be painful at first but the reward is long term and valuable.

Regarding lenses: I cannot recommend enough that you add some zooms to your kit.

I shoot a LOT of cars, it's what I do, both static and moving. I shot the recent Detroit Autorama with the fantastic Tamron 17-28 f/2.8. Wider angle is better because in many (not all) cases you can block out the endless flow of people, which is one of the biggest problems in these types of events. It's also nice to have a different focal length available to you with a twist. Do not get stuck on "all Sony". It's nice to be a fan, but there are tons of options out there that in many cases surpass Sony quality for a lot less money, this Tamron being one excellent example. Besides, Sony owns 12-13% of Tamron so you can still 'buy Sony".

Lastly, I wanted remark on the case you have for sale. Please consider buying quality cases. Yes, they cost a lot, more than seems reasonable. But you're carrying around thousands of dollars worth of gear, doesn't it deserve the best protection you can give it? I use a Peak Design 30L Everyday Backpack. It costs $300, but I don't have to worry about zippers tearing open to distribute my gear all over the ground, ripping straps or handles, or crappy padding that offers only minimum protection. Buy once, cry once.

Welcome to the forum.

EDIT: BTW, What part of Kentucky? Dad was from Glasgow, I used to spend time down there as a kid visiting Grandma. My son and I did a trip last year to the area, hit Mammoth Cave and another local cave, then went on a heritage tour and found some of houses and farms from Dad's childhood.
I will dispute your one opinion about not letting a content creator design your camera settings. I started with an A7 III and was awash with differing opinions on setup. I never really got the camera in a usable configuration. Then I got the A7 IV on Christmas Eve day in 2021. It took maybe 5 minutes to load the Mark Galer CAMSET file and boom! I had a perfectly running camera. Did I wind up making changes? Yes, and it is easy and Galer tells you how to do it. I track my changes on a spreadsheet so that when a new CAMSET it delivered, I can make the changes in minutes. I now have my A7 III setup the same as my A7 IV. Life is good. I can't do anything but shake my head when I see more experienced camera operators than myself, struggle with setup on their new Sony camera Mark Galer makes it easy. To each his own. Do it easily or do it the hard way.

To begin with, I didn't say not to let a content creator design your camera settings. Not sure how you came up with that? I said that it's a quick way to get started. I also said that you're further ahead to learn to program those settings yourself, even if you visit a site that gives you step by step instructions. Proven settings from a content creator are valuable, downloading them into your camera and calling it good is not.

Here's a fact:

At no time during life when presented with an opportunity to learn is it better to let someone else do it for you. Never.

And I can't do anything but shake my head when I see someone who knows the value of direct learning take the easy way out. Those more experienced users may be struggling today, but they'll run circles around you tomorrow.

Last edited:
Welcome onboard Dennis and thank you for joining up here and introducing yourself to us all. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to buy your next lens, maybe try the 20mm that you already have at the next car show and see how you get on. I've used the 24mm F1.4 at a couple of car shows and it worked great. As for the longer telephoto lenses, what are you thinking about shooting with these?

Back