Name
Geoff S
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Nottinghamshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am a 78 year old guy who walks about with a camera all the time. I find that since I started doing this, my walks are slower, more relaxed and I notice much more. I only use a wrist strap, really cant be bothered with a tripod at any time -I don't even own one. I came back to photography when covid was looming and bought a Sony A6100 with a Tamron 28-200 lens. This was followed by a used Sony A7R3 from MPB, who took the A6100 in Part exchange. This has now followed the A6100 and I currently have a Sony A74 and a Sony A6700. For the A74 I still have Tamron, plus a 24-105 G OSS and a 70-300 G OSS. These obviously also fit the A6700. For the A6700 I have the 16-50 kit lens, the 18-135, which I think is far too good to be classed as a kit lens. There is also a 75-300 G OSS.

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm enjoying my A6700 since purchase and let me tell you that the 18-135mm is a great walkabout lens for the APSC cameras. Light, good range, and OSS.

Welcome Geoff, totally agree with you on the 18-135 lens, mine stays on my 6600 most of the time. Looking forward to seeing the results of your strolls with camera.

thanks for the welcome! just looking forward to the local fields and paths becoming more walkable. The weather has not been kind lately making a lot of the footpaths difficult, to say the least!

Welcome to the forum! How are you finding your new 6700?

Welcome to the forum! How are you finding your new 6700?
"How are you finding your new 6700"

The question that I have asked myself is what have I got an A6700 for, when I have an A74?

I bought the A74 new to replace an elderly A7R3 that had never had any firmware updates and I really fancied the new menu system and AI abilities of the camera. And then the A6700 came out with an updated AI and I was in the market for an holiday camera, and I also had some lenses that I no longer used that covered the cost of buying it.

I tend to use the A74 as an every day carry, I like the feel of using it, and perhaps strangely, the fact that there is no crop factor to the lens. Taking it on holiday though, I find it and the lens to large, bulky and too heavy to be practical for how I travel. (No carry on, just a normal 20 litre backpack).

I like the A6700 for its compactness, weight and the size of the lens. It really is easy to put in a man bag on the shoulder and not advertise that I am carrying something desirable. With the 16-50 kit lens, it really is also easy to slip in a pocket.

For what I need both cameras are overkill. I never take video, nearly always shoot manual, the IBIS in the cameras and lens means that I don't need to carry a tripod. I'm very much an amateur and most certainly the A6100 that I bought in 2020 did, and would still, serve my needs equally well today.

But hey, I'm 78 going on 79, I just think why not have what I want!

Welcome aboard Geoff and thanks for joining up here. I also have the A6700 due to its compact size and weight. It's typically used as my family holiday camera when I just want something light for a few holiday snaps. If you have any questions about the forum please don't hesitate to ask.

Back