Jason

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Jason
Hello everyone. I am trying to decide which Sony body to buy. Right now it is between the A7III and the A6400 (maybe A6600).
I just picked up a 200-600mm because of all the great reviews. I currently have an A7II and an A6000. I am leaning toward the A6400 because of the extra reach, the price, and the AF performance. If I go with the A6400 I will probably add a FF body in the future, maybe an A7IV? The biggest negative I see talked about is noise. I would appreciate opinions from anyone who owns one on how bad the noise actually is. Also a comparison of AF performance between the A7III and A6400 would be great. My main usage will be wildlife and BIF type stuff.
So basically would I be better off using my A7II and an A6400 or my A6000 and an A7III?

Look at Gordon Laing's YouTube review of the IV for comparative images with the III on noise.

Hello everyone. I am trying to decide which Sony body to buy. Right now it is between the A7III and the A6400 (maybe A6600).
I just picked up a 200-600mm because of all the great reviews. I currently have an A7II and an A6000. I am leaning toward the A6400 because of the extra reach, the price, and the AF performance. If I go with the A6400 I will probably add a FF body in the future, maybe an A7IV? The biggest negative I see talked about is noise. I would appreciate opinions from anyone who owns one on how bad the noise actually is. Also a comparison of AF performance between the A7III and A6400 would be great. My main usage will be wildlife and BIF type stuff.
So basically would I be better off using my A7II and an A6400 or my A6000 and an A7III?
I shoot birds-in-flight so I need fast equipment. Lens: 100-400GM (fast, has TWO fast motors); and A9M2 extremely fast; w/fastest Sony SD cards. I made my body decision after careful thought vs. A7IV. If your focus is on landscapes the A7IV might be a better thought. Think about what type of shooting you will be doing. In landscaping you can use a tripod w/A7IV which the high res really needs to get max benefits. With fast birds I never use a tripod/gimble. I still get great resolution with the A9M2.
200-600mm: after careful thought I'm sticking with my 100-400GM for above reasons, also, it is so compact for travel and carrying around the wetlands, also the 100mm comes in handy focusing like a macro lens, something you can not do with the 200-600mm. If I were to get another lens I would keep my 100-400mm and get the 400/2.8 prime (not the 600F4). At this time I can not justify the cost with my better half for a hobby! BTW the 400 2.8 prime works fabulously with a 2xT; and you can shoot in very low light, way out performs the 600F4... I shoot with a number of 600F4 users and have shot w/ one 400prime user. I was in awe over it. <in my opinion>. Many shooters are getting the 600F4. I think they missed out on the best lens.

Last edited:
Back