Help please- Sony 100-400 panning issue…

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Moneyline23

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
Has anyone used the 100-400 Sony lens and experience this problem on images taken while panning in sports photography or just panning in general? I’m using the A7Riv with the lens and it seems like whenever I do any kind of panning shots it becomes distorted like these images I’ve included. Mode 2 is also on on the lens.

Attachments

• FF3D407C-4CC9-43F1-BB4A-C21B7A1841C2.jpeg
    FF3D407C-4CC9-43F1-BB4A-C21B7A1841C2.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 8929B9A5-3DA0-409C-91CC-D8A48AF04A38.jpeg
    8929B9A5-3DA0-409C-91CC-D8A48AF04A38.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 43
Were you in silent shutter mode?
Maybe that's an example of rolling shutter - especially the first image.

Yes, I was in silent shutter mode. Never even thought of that being the reason. You think that’s why? I’ll have to try it again with silent off.

Last edited:
Like ST mentioned, it's most likely a result of rolling shutter from the electronic shutter due to the slow sensor readout. With the a7R series you'll definitely want to be using the mechanical shutter for any action shots to avoid this, you'd need an an a9 or a1 to shoot using the electronic shutter without distortion.

Thank you for the information, ST! Very helpful! I’m shooting another one this weekend so I’ll take it off silent and report back afterwards about how it went.

From experience I will tell you that you will still get rolling shutter using the mechanical shutter in full frame though most likely less often (difficult for me to tell from mine due that I rarely have straight objects). The sensor is great but it just wasn't really designed with action in mind and this is the trade off. What you might want to go with is that you use the mechanical shutter and APS-C mode. This should remove the rolling shutter for 95% of the images (unless you have a really slow shutter speed), give you better AF performance but you will get only a ~26mp image.

Definitely RS, but I have never ever seen it on the mechanical shutter. You'd have to be panning silly fast to create it.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back