Name
Sharon Lane
Country
United States
City/State
Texas
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am an amateur photographer of many years. I live in north Texas on a small (for Texas) ranch. Avid wildlife and bird photographer. I have always had a camera (1st camera was a Brownie) but made the switch to wildlife/birds when I came to the ranch. I wanted to catalog all the flora and fauna (still working on it). I started photographing birds when I couldn't look them up in a field guide fast enough.

I recently made the switch to Sony from Nikon (with a short stop at Panasonic, not a fan of 4 thirds). I look forward to increasing my knowledge of camera and lens (see below) and shooting in general skills (C and C will be most welcomed). And I am starting with Lightroom for cataloging, etc..

I am researching a landscape/general (occasionally people) lens to compliment the ones below. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Camera: A1
Lenses: Sony FE 200-600mm OSS
Sony FE 70-200mm GM OSS II
Sony 1.4 TC

Last edited:
Hi, Sharon.

Welcome.

The next choice for a lens for you looks like a Sony 24-70 F 2.8GM II for landscape/general (occasionally people). There's no OSS for this lens, but you shouldn't miss it because you've got In Body Image Stabilization in the A1.

I don't have one (yet), because I've already got that range covered by a couple of other lenses. (16-35 and 24-105)

Cheers!

Thanks! I will take a look.

A nice companion lens for long lens is the 24-105 G F4. A nice light, sharp and cheap lens with lots of focal ranges.

My .02 cents would be a 100 or 70 mm macro not too big and can be used for shooting people or plants, bugs anything close up without being too huge or heavy.

Thought I’d stop in and say ‘hi’ to a fellow Texan living the ranch life! Congrats on joining the forum! 👊 I have a small ranch in South Texas but I manage a pretty big (13,000 acre) one just down the road from my place. I manage the hunting/wildlife side of the operation. I love seeing that you have a 70-200 (which I have) and the 200-600, which I’m considering getting. I hope you’ll chime in when I post a comment about my next lens purchase. Hopefully I’ll get it up in the next couple days.

Welcome!

Thought I’d stop in and say ‘hi’ to a fellow Texan living the ranch life! Congrats on joining the forum! 👊 I have a small ranch in South Texas but I manage a pretty big (13,000 acre) one just down the road from my place. I manage the hunting/wildlife side of the operation. I love seeing that you have a 70-200 (which I have) and the 200-600, which I’m considering getting. I hope you’ll chime in when I post a comment about my next lens purchase. Hopefully I’ll get it up in the next couple days.
Hi!
Sounds like fun (;-) ) managing 13,000 acres! Lots of photo opportunities. You didn't say which camera you had, but if you are into wildlife and/or birds go for the 200-600mm.

How far south Texas? I grew up in the Rio Grande Valley.
Have a great day!

Back