• ISO 640
2023-12-29_0002 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 6 sec
  • ISO 100
Hi, I'm a photographer from Devon in the UK. I've been full time photographer for 23 years shooting weddings and events. I shot canon until 2019 when I switched to Sony and the A9 mkI and A7III, which I replaced with the A7IV. Last week I also added the A1 a great camera but it has made me realise how far ahead the A9 must have been back in 2017. Lenses I own are 16-35GM 24-70 f2.8GM MKII 70-200f2.8 GM MKII 35GM f1.4 and the Sigma 85f1.4.

Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for the examples of your work. Beautiful. sharp images.

Welcome aboard. Nice Canon shots, posting those again could lead to being drawn and quartered! :ROFLMAO:

Wedding photographers have guts! I'd never do it, but you sure have it nailed! The two in the opposite corners, last row (Sony shots) are extraordinary. I love the settings you chose. I think I'm going to sue my own wedding photographer. Think it would stick? It was only 41 years ago.

Welcome Nick.

I too would like to have a word with my wedding photographer, the muppet ran out of batteries for his flash then fished a compact out of his bag to finish the job.

There are a few shots where I look quite stressed!

Welcome aboard Nick.

Welcome aboard. Nice Canon shots, posting those again could lead to being drawn and quartered! :ROFLMAO:

Wedding photographers have guts! I'd never do it, but you sure have it nailed! The two in the opposite corners, last row (Sony shots) are extraordinary. I love the settings you chose. I think I'm going to sue my own wedding photographer. Think it would stick? It was only 41 years ago.
I think it's picked up the exif from the first image top left. Most of the event ones are Sony . All the weddings ones are Sony A9 apart from maybe bottom left. :)

Welcome Nick.

I too would like to have a word with my wedding photographer, the muppet ran out of batteries for his flash then fished a compact out of his bag to finish the job.

There are a few shots where I look quite stressed!
I use a Tenba bag with a compartment for each item making it easy to see if anything is missing.

Just so you can see, I do own an A1 :) I shot this at 1/15 sec handheld to keep the iso down as I knew I had to work the raw file hard. The audience were in almost complete darkness. Lightroom NR was used, which I find amazing but slow. The client LOVED it
W2-461-HR.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/15 sec
  • ISO 500

View attachment 55159View attachment 55160Hi, I'm a photographer from Devon in the UK. I've been full time photographer for 23 years shooting weddings and events. I shot canon until 2019 when I switched to Sony and the A9 mkI and A7III, which I replaced with the A7IV. Last week I also added the A1 a great camera but it has made me realise how far ahead the A9 must have been back in 2017. Lenses I own are 16-35GM 24-70 f2.8GM MKII 70-200f2.8 GM MKII 35GM f1.4 and the Sigma 85f1.4.
Welcome to the forum, great shots.

Just so you can see, I do own an A1 :) I shot this at 1/15 sec handheld to keep the iso down as I knew I had to work the raw file hard. The audience were in almost complete darkness. Lightroom NR was used, which I find amazing but slow. The client LOVED itView attachment 55169
It's a great shot. I like the look of the audience, it's almost as if they have been painted in. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it, but I find that LR AI NR does that to some of my photographs too - not all, but some especially longer exposure shots. I like the look and feel it gives the photograph, but it produces a less photograph more painting feel to the overall photograph in my opinion. Would be interested to know what you and other think.

It's a great shot. I like the look of the audience, it's almost as if they have been painted in. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it, but I find that LR AI NR does that to some of my photographs too - not all, but some especially longer exposure shots. I like the look and feel it gives the photograph, but it produces a less photograph more painting feel to the overall photograph in my opinion. Would be interested to know what you and other think.
this image pushed LR de-noise to the limits but its made this image possible. I knew this at the time of capture, I find it amazing when I need it. I use it at 50% normally any higher it can be too harsh on the smoother.

this image pushed LR de-noise to the limits but its made this image possible. I knew this at the time of capture, I find it amazing when I need it. I use it at 50% normally any higher it can be too harsh on the smoother.
I agree, I normally don't go much above 50%, and only use it when essential. However, I have found it introduces odd artifacts sometimes. In the first image below, I applied LR DN and it introduced a blue tint to the wrapper around the loaf of bread and it introduced a blue tinge to the top slice of bread in the sandwich on the extreme right. No matter what I did, I could not get rid of the blue tinge, no matter how low I made the LR DN. In the second image I reduced the noise manually.

sandwich_boroughmarket-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 12800

I posted this image yesterday, but here again for comparison purposes.
sandwich_boroughmarket-4.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 12800

I agree, I normally don't go much above 50%, and only use it when essential. However, I have found it introduces odd artifacts sometimes. In the first image below, I applied LR DN and it introduced a blue tint to the wrapper around the loaf of bread and it introduced a blue tinge to the top slice of bread in the sandwich on the extreme right. No matter what I did, I could not get rid of the blue tinge, no matter how low I made the LR DN. In the second image I reduced the noise manually.

View attachment 55296

I posted this image yesterday, but here again for comparison purposes.
View attachment 55297
The blue slice of bread is very odd. I have never seen anything like that before. Odd how it's only half the slice. Still amazing to get a usable image at 12800 iso

The blue slice of bread is very odd. I have never seen anything like that before. Odd how it's only half the slice. Still amazing to get a usable image at 12800 iso
I saw an image you posted earlier was ISO 500 and you mentioned needing a lot of NR. I shoot at 12800 and 16000 more than I care to, but they turn out great. I've been using the NR in Affinity but purchased DXO Deep Prime over the holidays. Now I run everything through DXO as a matter of course, then on to Darktable for processing.

I saw an image you posted earlier was ISO 500 and you mentioned needing a lot of NR. I shoot at 12800 and 16000 more than I care to, but they turn out great. I've been using the NR in Affinity but purchased DXO Deep Prime over the holidays. Now I run everything through DXO as a matter of course, then on to Darktable for processing.
The reason it needed lots of NR is the audience were in complete darkness. I had to lift the shadows to a maximum then use a brush to lift the exposure on them by another 3-4 stops. This results in a ton of noise. With my A1 A9 and A7iv I will go to iso 1600 a lot and not think twice about it. Up to iso 3200 or even 6400 is ok but if I need to work the file especially the shadows, I may need to use some NR. It's very rare I need to go over 6400 for work shots

The reason it needed lots of NR is the audience were in complete darkness. I had to lift the shadows to a maximum then use a brush to lift the exposure on them by another 3-4 stops. This results in a ton of noise. With my A1 A9 and A7iv I will go to iso 1600 a lot and not think twice about it. Up to iso 3200 or even 6400 is ok but if I need to work the file especially the shadows, I may need to use some NR. It's very rare I need to go over 6400 for work shots
Why didn't you shoot at a higher ISO? If you were able to pull that out of 500, then 3200, 6400, 12800 might've allowed you to pull back some, or not lift shadows. I used to hate shooting his ISO, now I don't worry about it. I won't hijack your thread with images, but there are plenty examples on this forum of people shooting very high ISO with excellent results.

Why didn't you shoot at a higher ISO? If you were able to pull that out of 500, then 3200, 6400, 12800 might've allowed you to pull back some, or not lift shadows. I used to hate shooting his ISO, now I don't worry about it. I won't hijack your thread with images, but there are plenty examples on this forum of people shooting very high ISO with excellent results.
look again at the photo. The people on stage are in bright light, so to expose them correctly no matter what iso I used the audience would've been in complete darkness. If I had gone high iso and exposed for the audience, the people on stage would've been completely blown out and unrecoverable. knowing how much I would need to push the raw file, keeping the iso down was the best option. In other photographs, where I was shooting just the audience from down by the stage, I ramped up the ISO and got nice clean shots that needed little editing.

The people on stage are in bright light, so to expose them correctly no matter what iso I used the audience would've been in complete darkness.

Ahh, yes. Obvious point, but I missed it!

Great photo, great processing.

Just so you can see, I do own an A1 :) I shot this at 1/15 sec handheld to keep the iso down as I knew I had to work the raw file hard. The audience were in almost complete darkness. Lightroom NR was used, which I find amazing but slow. The client LOVED itView attachment 55169

Welcome to the forum Nick. I love that picture!

Amazon shots Nick and welcome to the forum! :)

Back