I decided to watch a couple of minutes of a Review......

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
This morning when I got on the computer the first thing I saw was a review on the Sony A7RV camera by Mark Galer. I watched the whole damn review! I'm a hopeless technology junky for sure. This camera will create a stir, to be sure. Here is Mark Galer's very thorough review. I personally would like top hear what others think of this camera after viewing Mark's review.

home run sony has best budget ff camera a74 and best high end enthusiast camera a7r5 ,next year a1 mk2 and another home run best flagship.

I watched this one from WEX Photo video, I like Amy's reviews , she always tries to cram lots of info in.

It has more going for it than I expected - Mark’s thorough testing revealed what this new AF means. It’s not just a new marketing buzzword slapped on the same old stuff.

Interesting that it takes time to refine the focus, going from torso to head to eye. And very neat that it is much better at focusing on a subject behind other stuff. I like the joint animal+bird mode, too, with the option to go for pure animal or pure bird.

Gerald Undone. Love his style and presentation.

I was originally disappointed that the sensor wasn't upgraded, but after checking some stuff out I see they've basically done what they did with the RIII, refine a camera which already had a fantastic sensor. I didn't think they were going to go much higher than 60mp though. I just had this thing in my head that they'd stay at basically the same resolution but create a brand new sensor, seeming that the foundation was already there with the A7IV.

I will be waiting for an A1II, or an A9III if they bump the megapixels up to around the 40-45 mark. Nice to see the price hasn't increased too much on the RV, gives me hope that the other new models coming won't get too out of control in that regard.

This new beast looks great though. I like the idea of the adjustable raw size too, although I think 60, 40 and 20 would have been a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was originally disappointed that the sensor wasn't upgraded, but after checking some stuff out I see they've basically done what they did with the RIII, refine a camera which already had a fantastic sensor. I didn't think they were going to go much higher than 60mp though. I just had this thing in my head that they'd stay at basically the same resolution but create a brand new sensor, seeming that the foundation was already there with the A7IV.

I will be waiting for an A1II, or an A9III if they bump the megapixels up to around the 40-45 mark. Nice to see the price hasn't increased too much on the RV, gives me hope that the other new models coming won't get too out of control in that regard.

This new beast looks great though. I like the idea of the adjustable raw size too, although I think 60, 40 and 20 would have been a lot better.
Aren't the smaller RAW sizes the product of specific crops? The middle one is the same as the APS-C, isn't it? Not sure where they got the third one from. Someone else probably knows.

Would be pretty awesome if you could adjust megapixel size and were left with noise handling characteristics etc that each particular size would act just as if it were a standalone sensor, rather than an actual crop of the full sensor. Although that camera would pretty much kill the mid to high end market... 🤠

Aren't the smaller RAW sizes the product of specific crops? The middle one is the same as the APS-C, isn't it? Not sure where they got the third one from. Someone else probably knows.
No. There is a separate M for the APS-C crop, but the S and the other M are sampling down the full area, so they give the same field of view, but fewer pixels.

No. There is a separate M for the APS-C crop, but the S and the other M are sampling down the full area, so they give the same field of view, but fewer pixels.
Interesting. The APS-C and M are the exact same MP. Given that, I agree with Clint.

Watch the Gerald Undone Review from 17:10 through 17:28. :ROFLMAO:

Watch the Gerald Undone Review from 17:10 through 17:28. :ROFLMAO:
Tim, please expand I have no idea who that guy is, I have not commented on this thread the jury is out on this one for me

Click on the link in my post (#5) and watch. He has a great presentation style, although he's become a bit video-centric lately. Gerald Undone was the reason I moved to Sony.

The section I'm referring to is in that link.

For anyone that is interested, Mark Galer has posted an Album of MotoGP motorcycle race photos from the last Australian GP. Mark normaqlly shoots an A1 with a Sony 400mm G Master Prime for events such as this. I had not gone too far through these when I noticed he switched to the new A7RV pre-production camera that he has been testing for the last two weeks or so. He had some other photos as well that were not race photos, but some animal and insect pictures and a few others in which he shot with various lenses as well as a 1.4x Teleconverter so you can see the quality of the photos with a variety of lenses. If your monitor supports it, don't forget on Flickr you can click these photos twice to zoom in and do some serious pixel peeping. Here is the link to Mark's Album page where he also has a dedicated album of test images from the A7RV. It's also worth noting that Mark Galer normally does all of his Post Processing in Lightroom but Adobe has not added Raw support for the A7RV as yet and I have not heard what he has done to these photos other than cropping. The race photos are incredible BTW.

This morning when I got on the computer the first thing I saw was a review on the Sony A7RV camera by Mark Galer. I watched the whole damn review! I'm a hopeless technology junky for sure. This camera will create a stir, to be sure. Here is Mark Galer's very thorough review. I personally would like top hear what others think of this camera after viewing Mark's review.
I bought Alpha IV last year and I am in two minds about upgrading as it would cost £2300 in UK which is quite a lot. What I like is that 4K crop is gone and 61Mp is just awesome for image cropping. I saw video comparison between 4K and 8K and my untrained eye couldn't tell that much of a difference. In some instances 4K actually looked better. From what I gather on TV panels smaller than 75' one can't tell the difference between 4K and 8K footage and this is from professional calibrators so is it really worth spending £2300 to upgrade? With 8K footage you are limited to 30min anyway because of overheating. AI driven autofocus does look incredible and transfer speed is gone up, so as expected Sony has done an incredible job with it. I am leaning toward keeping Alpha IV and treating myself to Sony G Master lens instead.

With 8K footage you are limited to 30min anyway because of overheating.
I think the 30 minutes was Sony airing on the safe side. If you watch Gerald Undone's review then he was able to achieve the following times before the battery died and with Auto Power OFF Temp set to High:
  • 8K24 = 1h34 (camera very hot to touch)
  • 4K60 = 2h25 (camera warm)
  • APC-C = 2h10 (camera hot)
  • 4K Full-Frame = 2h33 (camera barely warm)

Interesting. The APS-C and M are the exact same MP. Given that, I agree with Clint.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000426670.html shows how it works on the A1, and I'd presume that the A7RV will be the same.

The pixel counts for the RAW sizes are the same as S/M/L JPEGs or HEIFs.

Sounds like you think that the M is always an APS-C crop, and the S is an even smaller crop. That does not correlate with these notes:

Hint​

• When recording in the M or S size, the pixel number will not change even if you switch the angle of view between the full-frame size and APS-C size.

Note​

• The L size cannot be selected when shooting in the APS-C size. If you shoot in the APS-C size while the L size is selected, the image size will switch to the M size temporarily.

Those come from this page:
https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000426658.html about the JPEG/HEIF sizes, but the same thing applies to the RAWs, as the first URL explains.

That hint points out that the M size can be a full frame field of view scaled to APS-C pixel count, or an unscaled APS-C field of view.

That note also explains WHY the M size is the same as the APS-C size.

I think the 30 minutes was Sony airing on the safe side. If you watch Gerald Undone's review then he was able to achieve the following times before the battery died and with Auto Power OFF Temp set to High:
  • 8K24 = 1h34 (camera very hot to touch)
  • 4K60 = 2h25 (camera warm)
  • APC-C = 2h10 (camera hot)
  • 4K Full-Frame = 2h33 (camera barely warm)
I saw Mark Galer's video but not Gerald's one. I thought you are timer limited to 30min but I could be wrong. In all fairness, how often will you have a genuine need to record more than 30min of footage to begin with. I have seen many a wedding or birthday videos almost none of which was more than half an hour long, plus, they become boring rather quickly. Even nature footage comes in form of fragmented multiple shots put together in sequence. The main selling point I like very much is 4K crop gone, Alpha IV can be annoying in that respect and I have tried it many times wishing it wasn't doing that . Still, £2.3k is a hefty price to pay.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000426670.html shows how it works on the A1, and I'd presume that the A7RV will be the same.

The pixel counts for the RAW sizes are the same as S/M/L JPEGs or HEIFs.

Sounds like you think that the M is always an APS-C crop, and the S is an even smaller crop. That does not correlate with these notes:

Hint​

• When recording in the M or S size, the pixel number will not change even if you switch the angle of view between the full-frame size and APS-C size.

Note​

• The L size cannot be selected when shooting in the APS-C size. If you shoot in the APS-C size while the L size is selected, the image size will switch to the M size temporarily.

Those come from this page:
https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000426658.html about the JPEG/HEIF sizes, but the same thing applies to the RAWs, as the first URL explains.

That hint points out that the M size can be a full frame field of view scaled to APS-C pixel count, or an unscaled APS-C field of view.

That note also explains WHY the M size is the same as the APS-C size.
I had already acquiesced, my initial assumption was incorrect.

Last edited:
I saw Mark Galer's video but not Gerald's one. I thought you are timer limited to 30min but I could be wrong. In all fairness, how often will you have a genuine need to record more than 30min of footage to begin with. I have seen many a wedding or birthday videos almost none of which was more than half an hour long, plus, they become boring rather quickly. Even nature footage comes in form of fragmented multiple shots put together in sequence. The main selling point I like very much is 4K crop gone, Alpha IV can be annoying in that respect and I have tried it many times wishing it wasn't doing that . Still, £2.3k is a hefty price to pay.
Can you or someone explain the "4K crop" on the IV opposed to the V. It may be of particular interest to me.

So is anyone taking the plunge and preordering? I am not sure about this camera yet.

"I was originally disappointed that the sensor wasn't upgraded,......."
Clint, the thing is, we don't know much about this sensor as yet. Yes, it is 61 MP but consider this. The A7RIV has 567 AF Phase detection points, while the A7RV has 693 phase detection points. That's more than a 20% increase. Wouldn't that indicate that the sensor is indeed, different? Mark Galer says that Sony does not share much of the fine technical details of the new cameras he evaluates. He feels he will know more about this sensor when Adobe updates Lightroom with support for this new camera's Raw files, but that's probably a month or more away. Now personally, I don't know how being able to open the images in Lightreoom that he's already taken will help him determine that, but my opinion after hearing his statements, is that he is leaning toward the opinion that there are some other changes in the sensor. Who knows?

So is anyone taking the plunge and preordering? I am not sure about this camera yet.
I have never pre-ordered any new product in my life, with one exception. I was a very happy A7III shooter but pre-ordered the A7IV the day after it's announcement. I have never been unhappy about that decision as in my opinion, the A7IV is an outstanding product. After reading more than a couple of reviews, I see the A7RV as an A7IV on steroids. I won't pre-order it now but I feel I will own this camera. It just will take a little time. If I said that financial considerations were not part of my decision for not jumping on the Band Wagon right now, I would be lying.

Mark's MotoGP images are [insert obscene language here] insane! 😱😱😱
They really are, even more so if you have a 4K monitor or better and click in to zoom in to see even more detail.

They really are, even more so if you have a 4K monitor or better and click in to zoom in to see even more detail.

I have them up on the Sony 4k screen in the lounge room. I can't say anything that would do them justice mate... 🥲

I had already acquiesced, my initial assumption was incorrect.
Apologies - I misunderstood your remark about agreeing with Clint.

I thought it was cool that there is a real reason why the M size matches the resolution of the APS-C crop - if you are set to L, and switch to APS-C, then it auto-switches from L to M size. Makes sense.

The problem I have with any of these reviews, is that these guys are pretty much paid to give a good review to try and boost pre-orders, and so I never watch them because they are biased. Even those that claim to not be associated must be somehow, otherwise they wouldn't get early models to review. I'd much rather wait to see what the early adopters actually think in real world use. It's why I waited 6 months to get the RIV.

The problem I have with any of these reviews, is that these guys are pretty much paid to give a good review to try and boost pre-orders, and so I never watch them because they are biased. Even those that claim to not be associated must be somehow, otherwise they wouldn't get early models to review. I'd much rather wait to see what the early adopters actually think in real world use. It's why I waited 6 months to get the RIV.
Some are ambassadors for the brand. They're good when it comes to technical help but their 'opinions' are suspect at best, for just that reason. People that aren't directly affiliated are sent equipment to review and return the equipment because they have a lot of followers on their chosen platform, it's essentially free advertising for the company while the You Tuber (or whatever) gets clicks. More clicks = more ads = more money. I trust their opinions on new gear way more than someone who is directly connected. Of course you're correct, the real test is when the average Joe gets his hands on one and we get results, but that takes a while.

I'm like Jeff A., the M4 is the only thing I've ever preordered in my life, and it will likely be the last (no promises!). Future purchases will probably be gear that's already on the shelf and has been proven.

Some are ambassadors for the brand. They're good when it comes to technical help but their 'opinions' are suspect at best, for just that reason. People that aren't directly affiliated are sent equipment to review and return the equipment because they have a lot of followers on their chosen platform, it's essentially free advertising for the company while the You Tuber (or whatever) gets clicks. More clicks = more ads = more money. I trust their opinions on new gear way more than someone who is directly connected. Of course you're correct, the real test is when the average Joe gets his hands on one and we get results, but that takes a while.

I'm like Jeff A., the M4 is the only thing I've ever preordered in my life, and it will likely be the last (no promises!). Future purchases will probably be gear that's already on the shelf and has been proven.
I only ever preordered the 200-600 no regrets apart from I obviously overpaid for it on release day as the price quickly fell even here rip off island Uk

Back