Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
Recently, I found some JPEGs that I had shot 22 years ago. I had flown the Boss to Europe and we had a free day in Vienna, Austria. It was interesting to go through the images because I had no memory of what I was seeing which is problematical in itself. The trip was in 2001 and my camera at that time was an Olympus E100RS. I was an early adopter of digital cameras and those first cameras really were not very good but then again, neither was I! I got to reminiscing and tried to run a few of the images through Lightroom to see of I could do anything to improve them. To my amazement, I was able to improve on those images to a degree so I decided to put all the images into a Flickr album. I felt really stupid that I didn’t really know what I was shooting. During the day today I got all of them processed and posted them on Flickr. I also did some research and found out about, some of what I had shot.

I’m not going to post any of them here. Too many photos taken with the wrong kind of camera, but I will post a link if anyone needs to recall those early digital photography days or would like to get an idea of what Vienna is like. I really doubt that it has changed much. There is so much history there. I wish I could return with my A7IV but I’m afraid that ship has sailed. If you do see those images, please read my comments below the images and if you have any comments, please post them if you are able to do so.
Here are those images.

Recently, I found some JPEGs that I had shot 22 years ago. I had flown the Boss to Europe and we had a free day in Vienna, Austria. It was interesting to go through the images because I had no memory of what I was seeing which is problematical in itself. The trip was in 2001 and my camera at that time was an Olympus E100RS. I was an early adopter of digital cameras and those first cameras really were not very good but then again, neither was I! I got to reminiscing and tried to run a few of the images through Lightroom to see of I could do anything to improve them. To my amazement, I was able to improve on those images to a degree so I decided to put all the images into a Flickr album. I felt really stupid that I didn’t really know what I was shooting. During the day today I got all of them processed and posted them on Flickr. I also did some research and found out about, some of what I had shot.

I’m not going to post any of them here. Too many photos taken with the wrong kind of camera, but I will post a link if anyone needs to recall those early digital photography days or would like to get an idea of what Vienna is like. I really doubt that it has changed much. There is so much history there. I wish I could return with my A7IV but I’m afraid that ship has sailed. If you do see those images, please read my comments below the images and if you have any comments, please post them if you are able to do so.
Here are those images.
Yes Jeff, Vienna has not changed much. I visited 3 years back and your photos are still current with the place still reeking of history and culture of course !

It's a good sign to revisit your old stuff and see how you have improved and moved on. At that time you were learning a new technology and still finding your style and training your eye instinct. Thank you for sharing!

I have re-processed some of my old shots a couple of times, because I'm better at it and things have moved on a lot. I have some utter crap though :D

I have re-processed some of my old shots a couple of times, because I'm better at it and things have moved on a lot. I have some utter crap though :D
Besides being a pocket camera or point and shoot camera or whatever title you give it, it was not a great camera. Interestingly, I have an album that I shot at the 2003 MotoGP race in Jerez, Spain. I went there to see which camera I used there because the picture quality seemed much better. To my surprise, I had used the same Olympus at MotoGP as I did in Vienna but the basic picture quality was better. It's a head scratcher, but I'm not going to worry about it. I can tell you that this exercise has made me appreciate the Sony platform and shooting Raw even more, not that I needed the reinforcement.

Besides being a pocket camera or point and shoot camera or whatever title you give it, it was not a great camera. Interestingly, I have an album that I shot at the 2003 MotoGP race in Jerez, Spain. I went there to see which camera I used there because the picture quality seemed much better. To my surprise, I had used the same Olympus at MotoGP as I did in Vienna but the basic picture quality was better. It's a head scratcher, but I'm not going to worry about it. I can tell you that this exercise has made me appreciate the Sony platform and shooting Raw even more, not that I needed the reinforcement.
I looked at the album, there's not a thing wrong with those images as a group. Sure, there are some of the little issues you pick up shooting in auto, like blurry people in a street scene, but by and large they look fine. Some of the p-n-s and bridge cameras are incredibly capable and worthy of consideration for vacations.

Nice job.

I looked at the album, there's not a thing wrong with those images as a group. Sure, there are some of the little issues you pick up shooting in auto, like blurry people in a street scene, but by and large they look fine. Some of the p-n-s and bridge cameras are incredibly capable and worthy of consideration for vacations.

Nice job.
Thanks for your comment. Concerning my Pre-Sony cameras, things got a whole lot better when I got into the Canon Power Shot series. They did pretty well. I had one that lasted a long time until i spilled coffee on my desk and it found a home in the battery compartment of the Power Shot. Even though I went after it immediately, it was history and Canon didn't have any repair options. R.I.P.

I've been surprised in the past how well some of these tiny sensor cameras can do given the right set of circumstances. Proper light is the most critical for them, but they can absolutely pull off vacation style photos. Heck, I've used one at an airshow once.

Back