I have a focus area question.

ben w

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Benjamin Wilcock
When using flexible spot as your focus area does it not work in portrait orientation? I’m shooting on the A7iv I’m new to the camera.
Thanks Ben.

Generally if you set your camera to rollover the focus setting from landscape to portrait mode it should, but i haven't tested it personally but on the Sony A1 I go to MF/AF menu section and line 2 (switch V/H AF Area) which transfers your focus area setting and focus point setting from the landscape to portrait orientation there are 2 options you can select. I think you will have the same v/h transfer settings in your ARiv menu also.

I havent used it on flexible spot but if you go to the setting section as above and switch it on with focus point and focus area as the H to V transfer option , as your selected option, give it a try....

Hope this helps.

Hi, I'm new on this forum and have a new Sony A7IV. I have upgraded to it from my previous camera a6300. And I also have a focus area question which I have been trying to find an answer to for several days already. My question is: how do you set the flexible focus point to another location than the center? I used to use this feature a lot on my old camera and I would love to continue using it. But I can't seem to find any instruction that would help me understand how can I activate the spot on the screen to be able to move it around. I have watched many YouTube videos about focus modes on this camera, read posts about it, downloaded the camera manual, but the instruction says I should customize the centre button, however when I enter the menu as per instruction, I don't get such an option for center button or any other customizable button.

So can anyone help me get my camera customized the right way to be able to move the flexible focus point or at least the zone to a different location than center?

Thanks so much in advance 😊

Hi welcome,
Below the AF-On button on the rear of your camera you have a flexible control button which if you apply pressure to the side, top or bottom it will move most of the focus area or expanded focus areas to your desired position in the viewfinder... It will not move center fixed.
Pushing this button in will center your focus area to the center of the viewfinder.

Hope this helps

Hi welcome,
Below the AF-On button on the rear of your camera you have a flexible control button which if you apply pressure to the side, top or bottom it will move most of the focus area or expanded focus areas to your desired position in the viewfinder... It will not move center fixed.
Pushing this button in will center your focus area to the center of the viewfinder.

Hope this helps

I remember reading someone’s post on another site where they were upset that they could move the focus area, but every time they tried to “confirm the move” by pressing the button in the middle it snapped back to the centre…

Thank you for mentioning that in your explanation!

Hi welcome,

Hope this helps
Thank you! I just tried it and it works! So straightforward and so comfortable!

I feel embarrassed I haven't noticed it before 🤪 Thank you so much for your answer!

Back