Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
So I have 2 old slow card readers and it time to update since files are bigger etc, I don`t use really fast cards so any advise or recommendations, what do you have I am a bit clueless on these so thanks guys

I have to read CFeA cards, so I use Sony's CFeA reader (it reads SD cards fast, too).

For just SD cards, I'd get any brand that can read UHS II SD cards - I think there is a good Lexar one, but Sony are good (just a bit pricy).

I have to read CFeA cards, so I use Sony's CFeA reader (it reads SD cards fast, too).
I have that too for my CFeA cards. My computer & my USB hub both have SD card readers so I use one of those for the SD cards. There are multiple pretty good SD card readers around these days though I would prefer to get a brand one if I was buying one.

First thing to check is your computer to see how fast your USB ports are. These days 3.0 are the most common. Anything older like 2.0 will be very slow. Newer ports like 3.1 first gen, 3.1 second gen, etc. will be faster, but your card reader won't run any fast than your computer port. They are backwards compatible though, so buying a faster one will still work, it will just be limited by the computer.

Ugreen is a pretty decent brand, not sure if you can get them in the UK. The one I have uploads at around 200MBps. The Pergear reader I bought with the Express card does Express A and SD cards and it's fairly fast, about 300MBps. Getting one that does both would future-proof you if you ever buy an express card. Neither of my readers was over $20.

This video is about 4 minutes and pretty straight forward, no frilly nonsense.

I have both the Prograde CFexpress Type A and SDXC/SDHC UHS-II Dual-Slot Card Reader and also the Sony CFexpress Type A / SD Card Reader MRW-G2. Of the two I prefer the Sony as it doesn't seem to get so hot.

I've been very happy with the Sony dual Type A CFE / SD card reader (as mentioned above, MRW G2). Since I still have cameras which use SD cards, too, having the dual reader is very convenient.

Back