Sony A7 IV I will be testing Warranty coverage.

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
I recently had a problem that has something to do with a CFexpress card. After a shooting session, I was unable to download images from my SONY 80GB CFEXPRESS TYPE A TOUGH MEMORY CARD. I was unable to download my images with a card reader, or a USB-C Cable, but I was able to copy my images from slot 1 to Slot 2 and download them that way. My camera (A7 IV) went back for repair over 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it. Sony's US Repair facility is waiting for Sony to supply a part which they claim is a bad "Board". So when this camera is returned to me, I still can't get images off that CFexpress card, even with a card reader. Does anyone know how to go after Sony for a new card? Fortunately, I bought the card from B&H, which has exemplary Customer Service. I'll start with them. Has anyone heard of a board failure taking out a card? Wish me luck. that card was $200 USD. Ouch? I think I should go after Sony for a Warranty extension as well for loss of use, or am I nuts thinking this?

If they are insinuating that an output has destroyed an input being that the card has destroyed the camera board, then I can't actually understand how that would be possible.

In my opinion, the card being faulty and the board being stuffed are not related. It's just a very rare coincidence.

HiJeff if I was you and despite B&H exemplar customer service If they vacillate on this occasion I would go straight to Sony local head office/service center...the manager and not the service personnel........failing that I am sure Sony country office will get a jolt if you get to them through their customer service/chat net based webpage

dont think you will have a case for compensatory loss of use etc But they are obliged to replace the chip....in the absence of any external damage it is their responsibility to demonstrate any other perceived problem.......

If they are insinuating that an output has destroyed an input being that the card has destroyed the camera board, then I can't actually understand how that would be possible.

In my opinion, the card being faulty and the board being stuffed are not related. It's just a very rare coincidence.
They are not insinuating anything, at least, not so far. I suspect that whenever I get the camera back, they won't say anything about the CFexpress card because it did not get shipped with the camera, even though the problems with the card were verbalized to them before it was sent in.

Relative to your last line, both going bad at the same time would be more than a "very rare" occurrence.

Relative to your last line, both going bad at the same time would be more than a "very rare" occurrence.

You'd be surprised, especially in this day and age where things, especially electronics aren't manufactured to last any more. I get these strange occurrences more than I should in my line of work. It's not uncommon to be chasing my tail for half a day to realise that a brand new sensor and PLC unit are both faulty...

OK, here is the latest update. There are several subjects. I suggest you re-read Post #1 of this thread.

1. My A7 IV was returned from the Authorized Service facility in the US, Precision Camera Service & Repair. They are located in Enfield, Connecticut. As luck would have it, there are about as far away from where I live as you can get unless you cross an ocean.
2. My camera was gone for 39 days.
3. The explanation of repairs stated: "Replaced Mainboard as a precaution for potential intermittent issues." That sounds to me like it "Checked OK"
"Returned to all factory specifications." They also completely cleaned the camera including the Image Sensor, provided Firmware Version 1.01.
4. I contacted Sony USA and they are replacing my Sony CFexpress 80GB Tough card at no charge. The Warranty for this card is 5 years.
5. At this time, using the CFexpress card in Slot 1, I am able to record images AND DOWNLOAD THEM. Most of the download attempts are proceeded by a message saying that my card has errors and with approval, repairs the errors, then successfully downloads my images. I am using a non-Sony branded CFexpress card reader. I have a suspicion of the card reader and/or the card itself as having problems. I will receive a second CFexpress card next Monday and if there are still errors reading the card via my card reader, a new Sony reader will be ordered.
6. Having a perfected and saved CAMSET file was a life saver because the camera was returned in a pre-initialized state.

OK, here is the latest update. There are several subjects. I suggest you re-read Post #1 of this thread.

1. My A7 IV was returned from the Authorized Service facility in the US, Precision Camera Service & Repair. They are located in Enfield, Connecticut. As luck would have it, there are about as far away from where I live as you can get unless you cross an ocean.
2. My camera was gone for 39 days.
3. The explanation of repairs stated: "Replaced Mainboard as a precaution for potential intermittent issues." That sounds to me like it "Checked OK"
"Returned to all factory specifications." They also completely cleaned the camera including the Image Sensor, provided Firmware Version 1.01.
4. I contacted Sony USA and they are replacing my Sony CFexpress 80GB Tough card at no charge. The Warranty for this card is 5 years.
5. At this time, using the CFexpress card in Slot 1, I am able to record images AND DOWNLOAD THEM. Most of the download attempts are proceeded by a message saying that my card has errors and with approval, repairs the errors, then successfully downloads my images. I am using a non-Sony branded CFexpress card reader. I have a suspicion of the card reader and/or the card itself as having problems. I will receive a second CFexpress card next Monday and if there are still errors reading the card via my card reader, a new Sony reader will be ordered.
6. Having a perfected and saved CAMSET file was a life saver because the camera was returned in a pre-initialized state.
Clearly they couldn't identify or replicate the exact cause, which isn't uncommon, and have replaced the most obvious component. This is something I used to do in my old job with intermittent faults. What I always find wrong is that if it goes wrong in the first couple of months I think it should just be a swap for a new camera.
Anyway, hopefully it will now be ok forevermore.

Back