Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I was perusing Amazon, looking at lenses I'm not going to buy, and Amazon suggested an aftermarket rectangular hood for the Sony 24mm 2.8G (recently ordered), even though the lens comes with a hood. So, it got me thinking: What goes into the design of a lens hood? Why are some barrel shaped, vs petal? Why are some rectangular? Does one design work better than another? Is it all an exercise in futility, as often argued by a certain former forum member? 😅

Your thoughts?

Sorry. Welcome.

Now that the explanation makes sense, I can see that rectangular/square vs petal style hood seems to be a mostly aesthetic choice. Seems like the Fuji folks really like that square look, but I'm not seeing many youtube videos where Sony users adopted the same aesthetic (probably because aftermarket lens hoods weigh more and are an unnecessary expense).

Now that the explanation makes sense, I can see that rectangular/square vs petal style hood seems to be a mostly aesthetic choice. Seems like the Fuji folks really like that square look, but I'm not seeing many youtube videos where Sony users adopted the same aesthetic (probably because aftermarket lens hoods weigh more and are an unnecessary expense).
Rectangular are popular with cinema cameras. I think that look is a bit of fanboyism.

Rectangular are popular with cinema cameras. I think that look is a bit of fanboyism.
I understand the mattebox on a cinema camera, but I think you're right about the fanboy thing.
The only E mount lens I've seen with a rectangular hood was the APSC PZ 18-200mm which was a bit of an oddball... actually maybe they should have renewed that one for the FX30 crowd.

Back