• ISO 100

a bit cropped in:
DSC00103 1.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

As he moved off to attract some females I caught him doing the throat expansion thing. I've since learned that the brightly colored expandable throat is called a "dewlap" and is used for attracting mates and warning off other males.
DSC00132.jpg
  • E 17-70mm F2.8 B070
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.7999999523163
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 125

Unfortunately, not the best photo and when I tried to get into position with my limited zoom, he ran away. I'll try again when I return in March; these guys are everywhere in Jamaica.

They used to sell Anoles as chameleons in the pet stores. They're all over the place down by you. We used to have a winter home in Pompano Beach when I was a kid, we used to play with them in the Florida Room.

They used to sell Anoles as chameleons in the pet stores. They're all over the place down by you. We used to have a winter home in Pompano Beach when I was a kid, we used to play with them in the Florida Room.
Yes, they do have color changing abilities. I guess I could go looking for them when the weather improves here in FL.

Yes, they do have color changing abilities. I guess I could go looking for them when the weather improves here in FL.
I thought they were limited to brownish and green, but I see blue and orange in your shots.

Last edited:
I thought they were limited to brownish and green, but I see blue and orange in your shots.
You're not wrong, brown and green are as close to default colors as I have seen on them. The blue and light green can be seen when they're not actively trying to camouflage themselves. I've also seen one turn almost black when he was threatened (I was chasing it out of the house with a broom).

Back