Joining the forum

tom31415926

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Tom Matthews
Greetings, all.

I’ve been learning about digital photography on and off for a while. I bought a Sony A6000 a couple of years ago and occasionally get out and take pictures in the yard or in the great outdoors. I think this forum will be a great place to read, learn, and ask questions.

Maybe 30 years ago, I was a sound man on a film crew. I listened to the cinematographers discuss f-stops, depth of field, different film stock, etc. I watched the gaffers set up lights (usually more lights than they needed, then turn them off one at a time until the effect was just right). I didn’t shoot a lot of film, but now I’d like to develop my understanding of photography in the digital realm.

I’ll read for a while and ask some questions soon.

Here’s a shot from a recent hiking trip in Utah. I don’t mind critique, but I did have to grab these pics without falling behind the group. And therein lies another story, which will be in a post about camera repair.

Tom

Attachments

• DSC02416.JPG
    DSC02416.JPG
    565.9 KB · Views: 31
Hi! We joined the forum on the very same day.

Loving your picture of Utah. It's quite atmospheric even if you didn't have more time to take it... Or maybe thanks to that? Sometimes the first catch is the most natural and evocative.

I watched the gaffers set up lights (usually more lights than they needed, then turn them off one at a time until the effect was just right).
Union job!

Welcome Tom.

Welcome Tom!

Thanks all!

"Atmospheric" is a new descriptor to me, but I get it!

Now I realize that I helped to carry all those lights for free . . .

On to the forums!

Tom

Welcome Tom and thank you very much for joining up here and introducing yourself. Utah looks like a great place for a hike!

Thanks, Timothy!
I probably should add that there was plenty of quicksand in and around that water!

Will report back on my camera when I can.

Tom

Back